The Thread of Randomness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryder87, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

I was playing it in the dream. I wish I could draw the little 2D spirit of the pug. He was adorable.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

This is the only 2D pug I've got experience with. hahahaha

[​IMG]

• Cramped Sultana

Cramped Sultana Big Damn Hero

Gus was chewing me out saying he might have to close the saloon because of me. I'm sorry I indirectly turned your most loyal customer into a tee-totaler! You still have Shane, darn it!

• Pangaearocks

Pangaearocks Big Damn Hero

Oh boy. Finally found a Prismatic Shard in the current game, from a geode. Went to the Desert and got a shiny stick. Check the Collections tab about what I'm missing. 2 Prismatic Shards found??? I'm sure I haven't had another one, and there weren't two in the stack for the sword. Suppose the count isn't bugged out somehow, so could this actually mean I have popped another one in the mines at some point, but been unable to pick it up due to full inventory? That would be slightly facepalm-worthy :lol:

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know. From what I've seen, I think, things don't count as found unless you pick them up. Haven't given one to Gunther, maybe? It would be a really intense situation to walk away from a prismatic shard sitting on the ground. Now ancient seeds? They are really easy to walk away from if your inventory is full... really easy!

• Pangaearocks

That's what I thought too (about picking it up), but it's not in the Museum (was in my pack at the time) and I certainly haven't sold it. Which leaves me a little confused about what occurred. No big deal, I'll find one for the Museum at some point I'm sure (the darn odd dolls are more troublesome this game). But suffice to say, if I got a rare Prismatic drop in the Skull Cavern and not noticed nor picked it up.... D'OH!!

The thing is, I tend to watch that very closely, and drop slimes, sap and such to pick up whatever is on the ground of marginally higher value. Call it the RPG illness =)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
              • Stryder87

Funny you mention that. I had the same thing happen to me. Was weird.

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Prismatic Shards often (maybe always) count double in that list when they come from geodes. It bugged me a lot on my first save, where I went through a similar thought process after my first shard, but I stopped worrying when I saw that the second one I got made the counter jump from 2 to 4.

BentFX and Pangaearocks like this.
                  • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Okay, I just saw it. I'm on Summer 2, still haven't even reached the bottom of the mine, but got a shard from a geode. Sure enough it counted as two.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

When it was from a geode after God-knows-how many hours of trying to get a prismatic shard it said I had two, and I was going "um, I'd remember if I got another one"...wonder why the counter for it is bugged? Is it worth mentioning to CA about a messed up counter for one thing, when there's so much else right about it and he's probably burned out of SV for a bit?

• Pangaearocks

Thanks for clearing up this issue, then I know I haven't missed another one. Strange bug. Would be nice to see it fixed, but we probably can't expect too much in that department now, apart from the multiplayer in the next patch.

I've seen some other small niggles, and posted a few of them in the support section, but not really expecting them to get fixed. Pretty minor stuff all things considered, such as for instance an artifact spot or leek/etc in unreachable spots.

As for other randomness, I reckon the chance to get 3 glass shards on the bounce on the Beach is pretty low.

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

For the longest time I've fretted about Iridium stars on animal products. They're certainly not uncommon, but I've been watching it for a long time and my cow, goat, rabbit, two chickens and a duck have never all produced their best on the same day. It seems there's always one gold or silver thrown in. In fact I had started to assume that the game wouldn't let it happen, for whatever reason. It was just a mediocre luck day...
                          IridiumQuality.jpg
                          It's weird enough that everybody's in sync and producing on the same day, but then to get purple stars on everything, it's a good day even if the TV psychic doesn't agree.

ladymurasaki likes this.
                          • Stryder87

Wow, I didn't realize Haley liked kids that much. We were married on Spring 1, Y2 and it's Spring 12 Y2 and she wants a baby. Earliest of all my saves.

• ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki Star Wrangler

That was weird. I got the last artifact and got a stardrop in my bag. When I scrolled across, it used it but the stardrop was still in my bag. Then I opened the shipping bin and the stardrop use animation went off again. Not sure if the bar went up tho.

And my watering can was gone! Was too late to go see Clint if he had another one for sale so I went to bed.

In the morning, the watering can flung itself into my bag. Then a letter from Mayor Lewis saying it was in the Lost and Found Bin so he put it by my bed. That was super random but glad the game is programmed to recover from its own glitch. =)

BentFX likes this.
                              • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Had to see this for myself...
                                Lost-n-Found.jpg

The shenanigans with the stardrop from Gunther is kind of documented. It can be exploited to eat the same stardrop lots of times. How it managed to 'lose' your watering can is anybodies guess.

EDIT: I rewatched this video that explains the stadrop/selling box glitch. It had been a long time. It explains that the glitch will consume tools.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
                                • ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki Star Wrangler

Ahh thanks. Didn't really pay attention to that "exploit" when I first started playing since I didn't think it would affect me on the Switch (and would never complete the artifact achievement anyway). Interesting that he worked around the glitch like this.

• Pangaearocks

Random redesign-moan :p

Am (finally) working on getting more structure to my farm, and as part of that I needed to move chests around. It's now a great struggle to remember what's where :( I need a better chest system. Trying with colours, but it's not really doing the trick so far. Maybe I just need more time so I inherently 'know' what is where, like I did before. Was easier when they were a little more spread out though, instead of in front of the house in a row.

• Stryder87

You mean something more like this? :)

House 01.jpg

• davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah:

Green chests = products without star
                                        Silver chests = products with silver stars
                                        Golden Chests = There I put my neighbor's dog, nooo, products with gold and purple stars.

Light blue chest = River fish
                                        Dark blue chest = Sea fish
                                        Chest....

It is the best system for me, only with the color of the chest and I know what I have gotten inside, if I have to leave something or take something, I just have to remember the color, easy.

About the infinity stardrops, I have not seen how it works, and I'm not interested, that kind of things I prefer not to know, they can end my desire to play a game, I'm not a supporter of taking advantage of bugs, and I prefer not to know them xD

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Fine! xD

Four months ago I ran into the bug and wanted to know what happened. I started a thread about it. Yesterday @ladymurasaki also ran into the bug and was at a loss for an explanation. I offered up what I knew. Sorry if it ruins your game.

Maybe I should...
                                          Figure out how to use spoiler tags.

EDIT: @davoker, just so you understand, it is a very specific bug, that can only occur at one point, one time, long into the game. It can only occur when the stardrop from completing the museum collection is collected into your inventory. No other time in the game does your inventory contain a stardrop. I don't know if your self control is not of a level to just eat the stardrop and be done with it, or if it's just the knowing that the bug exists that seems to bother you so. But if you are so worried about it you should investigate it, just a bit, so you don't stumble into it as others have. I will in the future try to use spoiler tags, they're fairly simple, but it is difficult to know just what ruins the "safe-space" for some people.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
                                            davoker likes this.