The Thread of Randomness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryder87, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

So I was doing some fishing and thought about two of the biggest money-making possibilities, the rock to the left of the docks by the ocean, and Legend. It's been covered in other threads about how, if you cast by the rock off the docks, you always get gold-star fish (good for selling). However, no one actually mentioned where around the rock to cast. So, after testing a theory (and clues from other games), I noticed something that applies to both instances. There is a ring of rocks that shows you the area to cast.

For example, if you cast in the ring in my screenshot below, you will get the gold-star fish. You don't have to actually cast so the bobber 'touches' the rock. Your cast just has to land inside that ring.
    Gold Fish Trick.jpg

The same goes for Legend. It says to fish by the log in the Mountain Lake. Well, there is a ring of rocks there as well. I tested this (exploiting the multiple Legend glitch) and caught 14 Legends from within the ring. :party:
    (Yes, 14. On Spring 21 I was at 7 fishing, used the +3 fishing food and caught 3 Legends. On Spring 27 (second raining day in Spring and last chance to get more) I was at 9 fishing and used the food buff for +3 and got 11 more).
    Legend Fish Trick.jpg

This may all be well known, but I always like visuals. Besides, somebody may not have known that you can be a little more relaxed where you cast. :mwahaha:

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

It was in maybe my third playthrough; I was right right outside of Linus' tent when the train came through Stardew Valley. I had seen the train message so many times, but was never nearby. I was so excited. So I dash around the corner and Harvey's there and he's excited too, saying something like "Hurry, it's coming..." and something glitched out. The controls didn't work, and my character just kept walking into the cliff behind the train station. And that's where the game hung... Me, with my face buried in the cliff, and the train whistle blowing.

Oh, I was pissed!

Since then I've learned that it was Harvey's hot air balloon heart event, and the train really isn't that big of a deal. But I was so excited and so disappointed.
      ----------

I love the Ice festival! It's good to see poor Willy actually catch a fish.

• Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

I usually sell to the bin, but one day sold a ton of melons straight to Pierre. I notice after you sell something to him, it may show up at the bottom of his list of wares...

The next day I ran into Clint who told me he just bought a melon from Pierre and it was terrible. :cry:

• Stryder87

I never noticed this until last night when I got married.
          The weather icon turns into a heart on your wedding day. Cute!
          Wedding Day.jpg

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

So I learnt that apparently the travelling merchant can stock more than one of one item in a slot? I happened to drop by on a day when she had Rare Seeds in stock. At first, she only seemed to have two there- but considering that's more than usual, I decided to pick them up. I was at the bottom, so I decided to buy that first. Much to my surprise, though, the slot was still there rather than disappearing immediately (as it usually does). My reaction went from, 'Oh, cool, two Rare Seeds!' to 'What...?' very quickly, needless to say.

Ended up leaving there with a total of six Rare Seeds (five from that slot at the bottom, one from the other slot that was there). I never actually realised that she could stock multiple of the same item, so it was quite the interesting experience for me. And an expensive one, sure, but I needed to check this out, so worth it.

I mean, sure, it's hardly a huge discovery, but I've played about 140 hours while never encountering this, so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
            • Stryder87

Well here's another first for me. I know that if a fruit tree gets hit by lightening it gives you coal for a couple days, but i just had a pine tree get hit by lightening while off-screen. I head a strike followed by a crackling sound. I've never heard that before. I go look and I find this:
              Lightening Strike.jpg
              That tree just got hit! I never knew it lightening destroyed trees. Very cool!

• Stryder87

I just figured out something interesting.

I had a bunch of mixed seeds that you get millions of running the mines. I ran out of a certain seed I wanted planting mid-summer and figure I'd throw those down. It put in corn where I didn't want it growing (my OCD wants stuff together) so I pickaxed it up and planted more and got completely different results. I just did this now in Fall and ended up (after going through about 30 different tries) about 12 Artichoke plants in Fall of Year 1. The seeds for artichokes aren't available to buy until Year 2!

Here's what the wiki says: "They can be purchased at Pierre's General Store from second year onward and occasionally from the Traveling Cart. They can also be obtained by using the Seed Maker, as well as having a chance of being planted when using Mixed Seeds."

I guess mixed seeds don't care what year it is. I'm furiously hoping this means I can get a Red Cabbage! Haha

I knew it gave you random plants, but I never thought before of just planting them, if it doesn't give you want you want, dig it up and try over until you get what you want!
                Of course, the way I knew what it put down without having to wait until it grew was because I have the LookUpAnything mod which lets you hover over the item and press F1 and it will give you all the info on that item you want. Very handy!

Always something new with this game! <3

Lorekeeper of Wyverns likes this.
                • nekoCrimson

nekoCrimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mixed Seeds have set crops they can grow into, so no Red Cabbage, unfortunately. Anyways,

[​IMG]

Life's just like that sometimes.

• Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

Oh, man I wish, or I'd definitely be using that as part of my strat for the 1-Year Community Center Challenge. Unfortunately, Mixed Seeds only turn into a select set of crops per season, which doesn't include Red Cabbage. :(

Spring: Cauliflower, Parsnip, Potato
                    Summer: Corn, Pepper, Radish, Wheat
                    Fall: Artichoke, Corn, Eggplant, Pumpkin
                    Winter: Any of the above (Greenhouse only)

• Phea

Phea Big Damn Hero

I had some mixed seeds and wanted to see if they could be planted in the winter, to see if they would turn into the winter forage items (which they did not :(). And I had around 12 of them, so I cleared a little patch of ice for my seeds, and tried planting one. The square was green, which meant I could plant them, so I pressed the button and it made the sound of a seed being sown. But nothing was there. I tried this with the rest of my mixed seeds (which I didn't really need, so they're not missed), and they didn't show up in the soil. Of course, now I know that they can't be planted during the winter, but it must have been a glitch that thought I was planting but also decided to take my seeds away :lod:

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I click on the Steam icon this morning and I'm greeted with this...
                        [​IMG]
                        I played Stardew Valley on 01/01 so any New Years Resolution is already broken. Maybe I'll get a life next year.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

What works is throwing all your Winter Roots into a Seedmaker. You get Winter Seeds.

Stryder87 likes this.
                          • Stryder87

Definitely this. I do this all winter long and still run farming at about 70% of my usual amount. If you need winter root for the seed makers, go dig up the beach every day. I average around 15-20 roots a day there. Throw those into the seed makers and your looking at close to 30-40 Winter Seed each day. Best part is, it doesn't matter what time of day you plant them. Go to the beach in the morning, make your seeds in the afternoon, and plant before you go to bed. It's all good!

Crystal Fruit makes a nice wine too.

• Stryder87

Was powering through the Skull Cavern tonight. Fell through a hole into this....
                              Nice.jpg

There were more ore to the right of the screen. After a few mega bombs, I left with 96 iridium ore, 2 Prismatic Shards, a few Omnigeodes and a lot of other ore. Not bad for one level!

• Phea

Phea Big Damn Hero

Super lucky! :wot:
                                Today, in the skull caverns, I found a secluded area which had 5 iridium nodes all clumped together. I thought I was lucky then, but . . . wow!

• Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

I was surprised by a giant cauliflower on the first spring of my new save, but more so by the fact that the bottom row that became the giant cauliflower was not due to be fully grown yet.

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 9.15.30 PM.png

A layering issue caused these birds to appear to be among the trees branches... which I prefer! So cute. <3

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 1.14.51 PM.png

Phea and Stryder87 like this.
                                  • Stryder87

Well this was unexpected...

I just pickaxed a lightening rod up and it bounced off me and into the pond... never to be seen again.

Just wow... :lolwut:

• Saraneth

Saraneth Big Damn Hero

Oh god, I've done that before.

When you're pulling up something, do it from a diagonal tile. When things first pop up, they'll move in your direction, but only vertically or horizontally. If you're at a diagonal, they don't get a chance to bounce off of your farmer before getting pulled into your inventory.

That does give me an idea to add to my on-going list of suggestions:
                                      "Losing items to water (e.g., logs from falling trees, a path or lightning rod that bounced off your farmer and into the blue abyss, etc.) adds them to the fishing loot table until they are recovered."

Seismothesaurus and BentFX like this.
                                      • Stryder87

I've had that happen to me before with the second-to-last artifact I needed for the Museum. Boy was I... upset...
                                        Guess I didn't learn my lesson then either... who thinks about that!

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

It seems like every item in the game wants to bounce off of me into the water, except mixed seeds. I HATE MIXED SEEDS!!! The only thing worse than mixed seeds, is a treasure chest containing a single piece of bait. Just a waste of time.

Thank you Saraneth. I will certainly look at hoeing on the diagonals. It sounds like it might be the ticket.