The Strange and Unusual

Discussion in 'Other' started by Inferno_Draconis, Jun 30, 2012.

1. TheKrister2

TheKrister2 Pangalactic Porcupine

This would be cool if it only happens rarely cause if not... well let's just say it will be weird xD

SlyNinjaRabbit likes this.
  2. Cramdawg

Cramdawg Sandwich Man

Wow, this thread really took off again! :rofl:
    I really hope the devs see these, the addition of some of these would be super cool, as it could add a whole new atmosphere to Starbound. A lot of games I see are always focused on one single atmosphere, but even without these ideas, Starbound seems to have conquered the concept of having many different overall atmospheres, making the exploration and immersion even more awsome! :D

cvbbot likes this.
  3. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

Oh absolutely!
    I think my brain will manufacture a new idea!
    *Clunk* *Clunk* *Chit-it-it* *Claaaaack!*
    What if on death there's a random chance of you appearing in a room for 15 seconds filled with you in vats, one for each death.
    And there would be a man at the end of the room in a nice suit who if activated says "Ahh, the original, the crown of my collection."
    This can only happen twice, the second time he will say "Do you want to see the rest of my collection?"
    You can answer yes.

4. cvbbot

cvbbot Pangalactic Porcupine

Holy bajingas, it can't get better than this. You have captured my poopers, now you can eat my jeepers.

5. Brixmon

Brixmon Phantasmal Quasar

Oh god please
    Don't even remind me about 087
    the memories are too painful

Another fun idea:
    Sometimes, in old and abandoned-flickery-light type places, distant sounds can be heard. Sounds like muffled speech, robot treads running, laser fire, clanks and clunks, or perhaps a scream or two.
    And sometimes you can catch a glimpse of something in the corridors ahead. Perhaps a pair of red eyes, a shadowy figure, or the shadow of an invisible person walking in front of a light source (like a fallen light fixture).
    This would obviously be rare, and contain nothing that would seriously startle the player, the sounds would all be quiet and echo-y. Probably fitting under Bigger Mysteries.

Inferno_Draconis likes this.
  6. Draks

Draks Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looooooooveeeeecraaaaaft.....

Edit: I will come back to this thread

7. Green Causali-Tea

Green Causali-Tea Industrial Terraformer

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned weirdness during FTL jumps. For instance, fractal or geometric distortions of the starfield might be merely uncommon, while glimpses of things shadowy, organic, and/or crystalline could serve as solid rarities. Those tentacle planets come from somewhere, yes?

8. Trowzers

Trowzers Existential Complex

I like these suggestions, but some of them could easily be confused for bugs (especially things disappearing) so it's maybe best to have weird things that are more obviously weird.

Like - you could come across one of the penguin boss penguins fishing in a pond, and as soon as you get within a certain distance it teleports and disappears.
    or you could come across an outcrop in the desert that bears an uncanny resemblence to a statue of someone or a ship or something.

Inferno_Draconis likes this.
  9. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

That is a good point.

Recently got back into number stations, those things are freaky, wonder if/how we could fit one into starbound...

10. AndrewTheKi11er

AndrewTheKi11er Master Chief

What about an empty house with a family portait hanging inside. EVERYONE IN THE PICTURE IS YOU!

11. Ryaki

Ryaki Big Damn Hero

Wow some of these sound awesome... and super spooky. But otherwise a pain and a half to code.
    Guess the Ghost town events where you see something one way, then come back and its something else can be easily done with an Unmarked Quest or something.

12. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

Starbound is a procedurally generated title,you can make planet with those proportions,not whole game..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  13. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Yeah, Some of them might be possible using flags could work for a few of those "But did it really happen?" events. Some of the more detailed ones might be quite a pain like you said though.

I would agree a few spooky element here and there would likely not have a huge mood change to the game, other then maybe scaring the pants off of you and making you tell your mates about it.

Plus while the events are meant to be supernatural one could wonder if they might be illusions brought on by a psychosis of displacement and alienation, since you were forced one way or another to leave your home and until you set up a home world and become friendly with villages you don't really have any social connections anymore. You can add to that damage done to the psyche by things like seeing your home planet torn apart from the inside, living under a highly repressive government, or living in fear that one day the feathers will not fall in your favor.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  14. Pixelstomp

Pixelstomp Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Starbound: The Eight Pages.

While wandering through a random forest, a tall and slender figure will appear 3 times in between trees, each time only for a split second. If he is attacked during the split second, your character will have eight pages in his/her inventory with no use...

15. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

16. OneOnlyDan

OneOnlyDan Cosmic Narwhal

I would love to have this kind of aspects in the game. For those who do not like this kind of stuff you could solve this by having it toggleable in the options.

hazzary453 and AndrewTheKi11er like this.
  17. AndrewTheKi11er

AndrewTheKi11er Master Chief

I like that idea! There was something similar in Fallout New Vegas if i remember correctly.

18. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

It'd be amazing if the toggle button said "Did anything change?" If you click it.

Dargona1018 and OneOnlyDan like this.
  19. space ranger

space ranger Void-Bound Voyager

would you really not notice the first minor oddity ? a suit of armour with (maybe) good weapons and when you try and examine it
    • An abandoned suit of armour and a weapon are found at the entrance to a building or cave, sometimes with a piece of miscellaneous equipment as well. There is no sign of violence, or the gear's original owner.
    this comes up and words paint behind the suit of armour and say something creepy like : " come, i dare you..." with a small moment of scary music and the dungeon lighting decreases noticeably

20. hatouli

hatouli Big Damn Hero

better just be a mod