Modding Discussion The State Of Storm Modding API

Discussion in 'Mods' started by ThatNorthernMonkey, Mar 17, 2016.

1. ThatNorthernMonkey

ThatNorthernMonkey Aquatic Astronaut

The owner and designer (demmonic) has been AWOL for a number of days. There are rumblings that he's working on cloning SV to Java, but he hasn't so much as been in the IRC room. The only other person with the technical know how to fix and progress Storm (that is reasonably active) is handsomematt, but he can't dedicate enough time due to work commitments to take on this role (fully understandable, and aside from demmonic himself I don't think anybody has worked as hard on Storm as Matt has).

The activity on the project has died down as you can see in the graph, and there are a few game-breaking bugs (e.g., the game crashes if you spawn an item in and don't use it before you sleep) that really need to be fixed - all the while the API requests in the Issues section on Gitlab just keep increasing compared to very few merge requests.

The mod devs can certainly help (myself included) by going through the issues and implementing things where possible, the problem is only Demmonic or Matthew Bell / mdbell (not to be confused with handsomematt) can accept merge requests - and mdbell hasnt been as active as he has been previously (I actually haven't seen him for a few days, but hes had some activity on the project and he's in a different timezone which might be the reason). So even if merge requests are up, there is nobody on hand to review and accept them - and even if there was somebody to review and accept them, there is no lead on the project to take it into the future!

I was hoping to generate some sort of discussion (maybe even raise some devs lurking in the shadows to action) by posting this. It's a mixture of enthusiasm for both SV and Storm, disappointment at the turn of events and concern about the stagnation of the main API in development when SV is at this critical mass of people to retain their interest in the game.

TerraXanthis, XaviiKinz and zackeys like this.
    • Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

The owner is also IIRC in the hospital or recovering from it.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

demmonic is ill?? I mean obviously if that's the case then I sincerely hope he gets better soon :-/

• Erunestaron

Erunestaron Void-Bound Voyager

What does IIRC mean? I hope that demmonic will get better soon... is IIRC Intensive Care?

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"If I Recall Correctly"

• Axelius

Axelius Tentacle Wrangler

If i recall correctly.

But yes, ive heatd the same, but i cant confirm.

• Erunestaron

Erunestaron Void-Bound Voyager

Oh... thats... really sad - and thanks for the clarification, i'm not good with those short versions of stuff

• Pinkishu

Pinkishu Phantasmal Quasar

Well I heard demmonic is working on cloning SV in java xD

• mdbell

mdbell Seal Broken

I just caught a rather bad cold last week and now I have a mountain of school work to do. If you do stuff like bugfixes and request merges for it, i get emails about it so I can still do mergeing and all that. Demmonic has some other stuff going on as well, so I'm not totally sure about that as well, but he hasn't by any means abandoned the project.

• demmonic

demmonic Seal Broken

I'm not in the hospital, my arm is fucked up, and I'm not doing much of anything atm.

Tell matt to shut his whore mouth up! Yes, I'm rewriting SDV as a side project. I'm not putting other projects off for it though, my arm is simply fucked up.

Also, the project is open source, and we accept merge requests from anybody within reason. If I'm not here, then someone else will be to accept merges. The project won't die, even if I stop working on it.

• Advize

Advize Cosmic Narwhal

I would love the info for this irc channel if anyone could provide it.

Edit: NVM, found it.

• ThatNorthernMonkey

Just for reference, IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #stardewvalley-mods

Glad you're still about demmonic, hopefully the arm is sorted soon so we can get moving again.

Please give more people the ability to accept pull requests, handsomematt or cantors or somebody you trust. I have a pretty big pull request that (when smaller) got ignored over the weekend / start of the week and its now snowballing after not being accepted last night before moving to github. Cheers

• mdbell

mdbell Seal Broken

I was doing some merges from my phone at the time and yours had a conflict, and ofc I can't manually merge sourcecode on my phone...