1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The StarBounder's Guide to The Galaxy

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by A Vagrant, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

Hello Ladies and Gents, I'm Vagrant, and I'm here to tell you about The StarBounder's Guide to The Galaxy.
    What will the guide be you ask? The guide will be a comprehensive catalouge of found creatures, technology, and planetary geology and conditions.
    The Guide will written by a host of writers, some of whom I've found already.
    If you find any of the items listed above previously undiscovered, you can send your discovery to anyone in charge of the Guide or myself.
    Gratz, and don't panic.

M C, Hostail and 777eza like this.
  2. Spike

Spike Supernova

So does that mean we make up items? We could go to the Wiki if we wants to see the real, in game items.

3. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

No, I'm saying we catigorize the items found in game, and then write an entry on the items.

4. Spike

Spike Supernova

erm... well, since the game isn't out yet, I don't think we can get much accomplished. Of course, we could always refer to the starbound wiki for any items found so far, which is to say that this guide will not be useful since we have a dedicated wiki to catalog all the items for us.

5. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

Well, have you ever read Douglas Adams's The HitchHiker's Guide To The Galaxy? The guide will most likely be a collection of the common knowledge but with the bureaucracy of a wiki removed.

6. Spike

Spike Supernova

That does sound like an interesting read. If you ever need my help, just reply to this thread; I'll lend my hoof to you.

7. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

Welcome aboard. When the game is out I'll give you an entry to write and we'll see how you do.
    Here's to a speedy and well done release!

8. deebee396

deebee396 Aquatic Astronaut

How are we gonna lay it out? AFAIK forum posts have a character restriction. PDF? Wikia? Both? Lots of forum posts?

9. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

PDF sounds nice, but we'll have plenty of time to discuss this and decide. We'll have to weigh the pros and cons. My only ultimatum now is, we're definitely not going to go with a bunch of forum posts.

10. deebee396

deebee396 Aquatic Astronaut

Yeh I like the idea of pdf too.
    Just fyi an example of what sets the Hitchhikers guide apart, http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Alcohol thats what we're going for ;)

11. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

Sounds like it could be fun as a sort of community project, once the game is actually here

12. King Toad

King Toad Cosmic Narwhal

I might be able to write up a few entries once the game comes out, though I'm not entirely certain at this point.

13. Spike

Spike Supernova

hm... I can't tell if I should make stuff up based on that article (They all sound made up!) So what I got from this post is that I will try to make fictional ingredients toward a real, in game item, until being told otherwise.

14. Crimson

Crimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is there any way to join? This sounds really fun and would be an interesting thing to do once the game comes out.

15. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, we'll give you an entry we're to lazy to wri...I mean we'll find an entry that we haven't done and ask you to write about it. And from there we'll judge your entry.

16. Crimson

Crimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

So happy about this. I'm currently reading he third novel in the series.

17. 777eza

777eza Existential Complex

Nice I love Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and wish I thought of that thread name you can count me in.

18. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

I'm glad to see all the support for the idea, and I'm glad to see people reading the series.
    On the topic of the thread name, all credit goes to Rekalty.

19. Catoosie

Catoosie Heliosphere

20. A Vagrant

A Vagrant Cosmic Narwhal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.