The Starbound Music Guide (Updated for Starbound Composer)

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Lateo, Jul 1, 2013.

1. BlackSun

BlackSun Big Damn Hero

Get a good program with which you can create midis (e.g FruityLoops). Find sheet music and transcribe it or make your own midi. Then translate it into abc. Or did you mean to ask how to make music in general?

2. Koirannue

Koirannue Void-Bound Voyager

I was asking if there was a guide (or if there was demand ) for writing abc notation by hand from sheet music. abc notation as in the code that you put into a .abc file and feed into starbound to play music. Not midis.
    I've had experience with translating midi files to abc and it is good to an extent if you keep the midi simple but lacks accuracy and often limited in octaves due to the programs used.(I haven't found a really good one yet)
    If I'm alone in this and and everyone is fine with sheet music -> midi -> abc -> starbound instead of sheet music -> abc -> starbound, I'll leave it at that. Maybe this wasn't the best place to ask.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. Tathar

Tathar Pangalactic Porcupine

In my experience, they've been doing it, only to be *unsatisfied* with the results. I recommend this guide: http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm

4. Koirannue

Koirannue Void-Bound Voyager

5. Tathar

Tathar Pangalactic Porcupine

Many of the features of ABC notation that aren't currently in-game either will be in an upcoming patch, or may be added later in the future. Voices, guitar chords, and repeats are (probably) never going to happen though. Each of those has a pretty easy workaround anyway.

6. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

Added two new songs, Avast Your Ass and Rainbow Tylenol, to the song examples. Hopefully the upcoming patch will have some fixes so I can post the guide for using a more advanced converter.

7. Juanbros

Juanbros Void-Bound Voyager

I have problems with he volume controls and how to remove them, please help me.

8. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

Problems identifying them or with something else?

9. XxBudderLordxX

XxBudderLordxX Space Hobo

it isn't working for me do you have a mac version

10. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

It's irrelevant what OS you use, volume control does not currently work in Starbound.

11. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Hey, what's the 'registration question' for starbards.net? I've tried like 4 different things and i can't get it right D:

12. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

Here are the possible answers:

starbound
    Starbound
    playstarbound
    Star Bound
    star bound

The question is "what game is this for" or something similar.

13. Bonabopn

Doh. I read "What is this community for?". Thanks!

14. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

I'm writing an update to cover Starbound composer. I already included information about where to put song files in the new patch under loading songs. If anyone's too lazy to read it on the main post then the new location is assets/users/songs.

15. Bismuth

Bismuth Cosmic Narwhal

I'm in a long struggle to put songs from the Cave Story soundtrack into a functional ABC format, but I've come across great difficulty.
    My starbound runs pre-written songs just fine, but when trying to play the cave story songs converted using the LOTRO software it sounds horrible i general, the time is wrong and many notes as well are incorrect. The files seem okay played by other ABC readers. What might be the problem?

16. Lateo

Lateo Big Damn Hero

I've already done the entire Cave Story soundtrack using Starbound Composer so that's what I would recommend trying. The LOTRO player was designed for a specific game so the notation it creates isn't always good quality.

Bismuth likes this.
  17. Bismuth

Bismuth Cosmic Narwhal

That's really cool, would you mind shooting me a link so I can get those for myself?
    Found it!
    Thanks for the recommendation.

18. Tommeel

Tommeel Aquatic Astronaut

none of the songs in my song folder are working after the patch, they dont even show up in the song list?

is there a new folder or something?

19. Bonabopn

Yes, the new folder is /assets/user/songs/ c:

20. gradytrain

gradytrain Void-Bound Voyager

Still having issues getting the correct tempo with some of my tracks, I went through and tried using the Q:1/4=tempo fix with just a text editor, and that didn't really change anything. I restarted the client and reloaded and still nothing...

Am I missing something?