1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Roadmap

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by T-Rex, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

You do know party mechanics probably also cover MP, right? In any case , it's nice they updated it.

2. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Cover? As in are required for? No. Party mechanics are just 'you can join groups with other players to make playing with them easier' etc.

3. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Multiplayer works fine in the dev streams I've seen so no it's not necessary for Beta. It's just fluff and quality of life improvements

4. Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

... Yes, that's a great way to misread what I said.

..yes. That's what i mean. When I say x covers y, I mean y is a part of x.

5. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Except multiplayer is not a part of party mechanics. It's the other way around. You said it backwards. Party mechanics do not cover MP, MP optionally includes party mechanics.

illwac and Silver86 like this.
  6. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

huh, lets hope it works open wide field now on later, or other wised its "one step forward, and two step back".

7. T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Still no update

Anyway BETA is close so there's no point of updating the Roadmap I guess, you can close this topic now mods

8. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

I thought they were going to continue using the roadmap until final release?

But they don't use the roadmap much anyway.
    If they updated it more it would be useful but its outdated most of the time.

DudeUA likes this.
  9. Athauxan

Athauxan Pangalactic Porcupine

The thing about the Roadmap is that it's extremely hard to gauge the progress of something like this in such a quantitative manner. The Devs themselves have stated that it's not an accurate representation of the game's completion at all. Saying a part of the game is "%70 complete" is guesswork at best, because you can't predict whats going to happen next. you could end up finding out later that entire chunk of the system needs reworked because some other part of the game broke it, for instance (at this point, that likely won't happen, but you never know). This is actually why there's not really much at 100%, but there's several sections at 90%. While to most of us, 90% may seem like it's nearly done, that last "10%" is where a huge portion of work could be.

Davosalm likes this.
  10. OzzytheFist

OzzytheFist Big Damn Hero

That's just the fault of the developers. They're arbitrary numbers. I'd hope they aren't trying to be that misleading.

11. T-Rex

They might update it when the BETA is released

12. bbq1040

bbq1040 Big Damn Hero

If a huge chunk of work can be done in that 10% then it shouldn't say 90%, it should be less. I like the idea of the roadmap but if the numbers mean nothing then take it down or make it accurate. And if being accurate means making some of the %s lower then that's what you have to do. If you look at the roadmap you'd think the game was pretty close to full release. And by close I mean within 6 months. But in reality its bearly done enough for the open beta. Technically once the open beta begins the roadmap will be a moot point because everyone will be involved in the growing process so I'm not worried but then I wonder why the roadmap exists. Lol.

13. T-Rex

10% should be the bug fixing and stuff the 90% means all the stuff that needed to be in game is in the game... that's what I think

Athauxan and bbq1040 like this.
  14. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

As a free-time game developer I can confirm that having percentages is absolute ass.

Having a percentage implies that you know exactly how the finished product (the supposed 100%) is going to turn out. But that is simply not true because things keep changing. You can say "I made huge progress here, but the game is still lacking there" but you cannot say things like "This part is 80% done, but this one is 20%" unless you're making the same exact game you did already, in which case you know exactly how the finished product turned out.

In short, the roadmap is a great concept executed horribly.

Gene and Athauxan like this.
  15. PlayMp1

PlayMp1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's how it should be, yes, but that's not how it goes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninety-ninety_rule

"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of the development time."

linkthegamer likes this.
  16. Ragewar

Ragewar Industrial Terraformer

17. [S]miley

[S]miley Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ahhhhh sheeeet it has begun and now it is my time to go back to the forums after 4 months of mia

18. T-Rex

1 week left :p

19. [S]miley

[S]miley Subatomic Cosmonaut

1 Week we need a countdown !!!

20. Von Marlon

Von Marlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Less than a week, 5 days!