Building/Ship The Republic of San Leone

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by Beatrice, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I posted a tour for San Leone in the video section. There will be more in the future, hopefully. At the moment, it only includes the central part. :)

2. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

A fancy hat and a fancy house on a fancy planet.

[​IMG]

DrVoodoo, Tamorr, Breakout and 3 others like this.
  3. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Here is my last work on San Leone for this year:

[​IMG]

There's also a background story regarding this picture, because I don't only like the statue, but the whole composition. On my server, Bea was an intergalactic archaeologist.

If you want to know more about the background of this picture, have a look here.

DrVoodoo, Breakout, Seajun_ and 2 others like this.
  4. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Happy New Year; and hopefully, Happy New Stable!

[​IMG]

5. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

This is the rest of the house from above. I liked to try to use the new /admin mechanics. I'm still inclined to build my houses without cheats, but one advantage of the admin command is the placement of vases and other "pixel containers" which you can't collect. As this is a Leeven house, you find the background, environment and rooms of this house here.

[​IMG]

DrVoodoo, Tamorr, TrueEdge and 6 others like this.
  6. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

So, San Leone is no more at the moment, server is closed. I've wandered a bit on other servers, but wasn't satisfied and didn't find a new home yet.

I also have to say, that I'm not such a big fan of the new update, because as a builder, I feel not only a bit, but simply completely neglected; neither do I enjoy the quests, nor do I find them well written (I would even say: dull). They also made it impossible to play this game for me in the current state, as I have to go through all this stuff when I want to get the freedom I had in the old stable. Back in the old stable, I only had to go until the Gamma sector and had my diamond drill, free to do whatever I wanted. Here, I have to go until the ultimate Matter Manipulator, doing things I don't want to do. That was also my first Starbound game in which I didn't build anything beside the house above, because it doesn't make sense to make a planet your home (two reasons: ship and this annoying outpost which I have to visit more than new planets). Some parts of this so-applauded new great update were simply work and grind for me.

Some may say "you can use admin mode". That's a point, but as I pointed out in other posts, that is against my ethics "Building everything from the base what the game gives me". Instead to cheat or destroying villages and mini-biomes, I would like to produce soft brick by collecting limestone (at least they did something like that in the cases of clay and bricks/rooftiles) - this is only one example. This leads me to some other problems. For me "creative mode" is no achivement. It means nothing to me. I want to build in a smart way, doing the things I want to do with the instruments the game gives me. At the moment, this is a very unpleasent state for me. But what is my "work" worth when everyone else can build more colossal things, without doing anything?

Even worse: this annoying "beam"-bug which changes your start point is so ridiculous for me, that I don't even want to start anything at the moment until CF fixed that. How should I realize an organic, big project when I can't change the spawn point (in a building way!) like I want, because the spawn point may change? This makes it completly pointless to start anything big at the moment.

Because of all these things, I'm going to skip this unstable and stable update (for the moment?). I even returned to the old stable . I'm not even sure how to continue under these circumstances. I think I'm going to make some Leeven themed, little things for the moment - maybe with the new stable, maybe not - but nothing special.

I only wanted to share my opinion here, because there may be a lack of pictures in the future and because I don't want to have any fights with these people who defend the update with blood and faith when you are not happy with it.

DrVoodoo, teilnehmer and TrueEdge like this.
  7. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Good wording and appreciate the perspective, Beatrice. I'm likwise struggling on this progression path they have laid out... but it is only for the "adventure" track right now. Once the "builder" track comes available, I'm sure we will see you full power and building planet cities again.

Cya when the dust settles :up:

TheFloranChef and Beatrice like this.
  8. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Thanks for your reply :). I know that there will be a "builder path" one day, but they did announce it the first time back in February 2014. I'm not sure when it will happen. Also, my other concern is the current perfomance; even in singleplayer, I had laggs when visiting the outpost. As someone who played mostly multiplayer, I hope that they fix at least that when it comes to the new stable. Some servers weren't even able to handle 12 players without laggs or even crashed. I even heard that some young unstable servers had even to close because of this problem.

Thanks again!

TheFloranChef likes this.
  9. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Interesting things happened! I moved with some friends to a new server and helped to establish a little outpost. Well, you know from San Leone what happens when I start "little things"...

In fact, we are settling on the neighbour planet of San Leone, the desert planet of San Geronimo. And you know what? They give me all the materials I need so I can do everything I wish to do - and even better, they LIVE in my houses :D.

As we live on a desert planet, I wanted to do something I already wanted to do: building some arabian-venetian styled "Leeven" houses (like the one above). This project is really interesting, because I can connect some different areas I'm working on in Starbound.

Pictures will come tomorrow!

10. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

11. Breakout

Breakout Big Damn Hero

I am so glad that you are on a new server home and that we will continue to see pictures of your great work.

Seajun_, TheFloranChef and Beatrice like this.
  12. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Thanks! I'm going to show some of the houses I made in the future; I build them, but it's up to the others to do the interior. So, you won't see any furniture at the moment, only the houses; maybe I'll post them later when all of them are done.

This was my first house I created on San Geronimo which was designed for a user as a new home.

[​IMG]

Nothing special, but I think it's harmonious and a place where someone would like to live in.

Vron, DrVoodoo, Tamorr and 5 others like this.
  13. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

I love how you can make a hostile desert planet look so hospital :D

Are you planning to feature a set of ancient ruins on this desert planet?

Beatrice likes this.
  14. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

It's really fun, I enjoy it a lot to make everything a bit ornamented, a bit green and create something leevenish in the mid of an open desert. ;)

Maybe! I have to build some houses for some other users who joined our group; and besides that, San Geronimo needs some other buildings (shops, hospital, a new arena), but I'm sure the archaeologist in me wants to have some playground there, too! :D

TheFloranChef and TrueEdge like this.
  15. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

So beautiful! I look at the top of this building and I forget for a moment that it's made of blocks. Can't wait for more pictures. :)

Beatrice likes this.
  16. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Yes, it's a really fine thing, maybe one of the best ones on this planet. I also hope to write something in the Leeven section when it comes to the background of the architecture and it's meaning. :)

It's not my opera from San Leone, but one of the first things I needed was a new place to make music. This is the "Concert Hall" of San Geronimo, right to the spawn point.

[​IMG]

17. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Big Damn Hero

So much great buildings. And so much inspiration!

Beatrice likes this.
  18. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

That's great to hear! Giving others some ideas is always a good thing! :)

Here the second house for a user.

[​IMG]

I think it's even a bit better than my first one. I really like the wooden verandas and the green, together with the vineyard on the terrace. It's one of these buildings which are not big, but feel complete.

Because of the vines, it was logical that a Floran would move in. This is the actual look of that house, as the interior is completley up to others.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    poopfart, DrVoodoo, Never and 3 others like this.
  19. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

House #3, and one of my favorites, du to the columns and the vines. :D

poopfart, DrVoodoo, Breakout and 5 others like this.
  20. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

These are looking great! One question though... are grapes really the best crop option in a desert environment?