1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Relocator Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Mythril-Jelly, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As of 1.1 by far my favorite new feature is the Relocator. This is something I have been trying to find mods for since the official release and it's even better than I could have imagined. Critter capture pods were fairly expensive for what they did and were consumed on use yet I still missed them as of 1.0 as normal pods couldn't grab every critter type and sort of needed tethers bigger than the critters they held but we got that back as of 1.1! Now not only will my homemade lakes look much prettier, they also have more varieties to pick from and my settlements look much more lively already. I'll probably start working on a biome zoo now, and attempt to include creatures for each. Anyone else having fun with this new tool?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    Noir Korrane likes this.
  2. SephMoon

SephMoon Phantasmal Quasar

The next time I go into a cave or some other dark area, I'm going to take a relocator full of Prism Elementals to see how useful it is.

3. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm just glad that I no longer have to destroy all of my Fluffalo and buy new ones if I want to move them. They wander around and escape their pens frequently and before once they escaped you'd never get them back in...

4. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

I put a little terrarium on my Floran ship - just a walled-in section with a gap to beam through. Then I grabbed all sorts of critters and put them in. Fun, fun.

I also made that big observatory thing at the top into an aquarium for all the fish I catch. Wall it in with glass, put in water and lights and a broken anchor and other stuff, then dump in fish. I even put down a few couches outside and was delighted to see crew members take little breaks to admire the aquarium.

Wait a second... my crew are Florans. I may have to count my fish regularly, just in case.

5. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

The relocator is really cool yeah.

Right now I'm shamelessly using the critter duplication bug to make a "lively natural lighting" in one of my ships :p

natural_light.png

Apart from that (which probably won't last :D), I agree with the fact that moving mooshis and fluffalos is a huge improvement. In 1.0 I didn't have the courage to destroy them, and I have that terrible memory of up-leveling terrain very slowly so that the animals could climb. It literally took me hours to wait for them.

6. Iaeyan Elyuex

Iaeyan Elyuex Cosmic Narwhal

Since 1.1 broke current livestock, I'm making a "Livestock Retirement Sanctuary" and moving all my server members' broken livestock there, and tallying how many of each animal they had, and then adminning them some replacements.

The Relocator is also fun for pranks. I have a rule on my server against moving others' livestock without permission, but moving critters not on their planets is allowed. Our server has gone from hiding empty bottles all over players' settlements to putting critters everywhere. It's perfectly harmless and the players can just kill them if they don't want them. I put a Reasonable on top of my brother's reactor core in his settlement.

7. SephMoon

SephMoon Phantasmal Quasar

How did the 1.1 update break livestock? I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary with mine.

8. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

9. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

How do I use the relocator! Plz help!

10. Mythril-Jelly

Secondary fire picks up, primary drops. It can hold three at a time.

11. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

I've tried that! It just doesn't work!

12. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

Do you have the More Critters mod? Last I tried it only worked on vanilla critters.

13. Mythril-Jelly

Won't work on any sort of hostile either, and working only on vanilla critters makes sense.

14. Iaeyan Elyuex

Which is kind of sad, because I can't abduct Occasus Cultists or Stargazer Priests.

What do you mean, it doesn't work on sentients? *sigh* Lava it is, then.

15. The Observer

The Observer Phantasmal Quasar

It only works on vanilla critters because relocatable monsters need to be tagged as such.

Theoretically, you could tag monsters as relocatable... I'm sure there'll be a mod for such soon enough.

16. Mythril-Jelly

That'd be great, I've been looking for something that makes everything capturable/reloacatable and all trees/objects drop themselves since I have this undying urge to create monster zoos at any given chance. My Starbound zoos and aquariums already look much better than their Terraria equivalents and I'd like to branch out more and contain Ruin exhibits and Hive eggs, and those toxic ocean trees/bushes that seemingly cannot be spawned in.

So far as of 1.1 I've made a multi-level aquarium with a tank for each liquid type, set up by color scheme rather than actual biomes. If more monsters become capturable I'd love to upgrade the monster zoo to that level to catch up with the new aquarium.

17. Iaeyan Elyuex

And if the mod becomes deprecated, it shouldn't hurt anything because the lack of the mod would just revert the tags to normal, and any monsters would just be left where you left them. I love mods like that! Also, I think there's a crash involved with the pet tether, but I can't prove it. I just know that where there were tethered monsters, the game would crash sometimes. When I took the capture pods out of the tethers and put them away, the crashing stopped altogether. I don't know if this has been found and patched, but I can't set up a proper zoo with this bug around.

18. Anuril

Anuril Orbital Explorer

Does it work on Punchy?
    Did it ever work on Punchy?
    I've always wanted Punchy on my Ship.
    Please don't nerf Punchy via Relocator if it used to work before.

19. Mythril-Jelly

That's a good question... It's Vanilla and non-hostile so I'd imagine. Hadn't seen any as of 1.1 though. I need to test this.

EDIT: confirmed. Bagged a Punchy.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  20. Electricks

Electricks Intergalactic Tourist

I was able to save my chickens from my old plantation and the update came just a little bit before i took the claim flag off of the planet so that was good timing :D