1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Protectorate Question

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by EnzoTheHuman, Jul 26, 2017.

1. EnzoTheHuman

EnzoTheHuman Void-Bound Voyager

I have played starbound for a long time now (Back before 1.0 released) and i played on many save games (And getting them erase due to some unknown circumstances), i replayed the intro missions many times again.

but what i don't get is why did the Terrene protectorate just get completely annihilated by the ruin? i mean to be honest the protectorate has been standing on earth for nearly centuries, yet would they not have detected the ruin's presence in the earth's core/crust?

i'm just throwing logic to the game right now. so i would like to hear some of your theories on this.
    My questions are:
    1. Did the Terrene protectorate really just got erased from the universe just because earth was destroyed?
    2. According to lore codex's humanity has been able to travel to the stars and settle on planets, hence penal colonies (Before they turned into evil dungeons), would they not have been able to start multiple academies?
    3. Spoilers: There are abandoned protectorate storage stations heavily guarded as well, would they not serve a purpose?
    4. After you defeated the ruin and the universe and save and whatnot can you not rebuild the protectorate sure esther did say the universe is open with no boundaries (Basicly you are free to do anything you want now) but wouldn't rebuilding the protectorate be more important?
    5. Surely there are other terrene protectorate ships out in space right?

I want to hear Everyone's opinion/answer/theories on this, i wish there were more lore to the protectorate, sure it's only intro mission but would it not be more interesting to know the lore of the academy, how it became humanity's greatest triumph? more lore?! SECRETS?!??

also i don't if this has been posted by someone yet, but i'm just really curious

Also i just remembered:
    according to the human codex's on Off-human census, it does seem humans prefer to live on earth due to its peacefulness, and to mention that there were in fact many other off earth settlements and One large human settlement on a planet on Arin Borealis VII, althouth there was a report on the human census, and knowing the fact that humanity is adventurous and or prefer to stay on earth/ become a protectorate, there's still a chance for off human colonies to have succeeded right?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Most Protectors died with Earth. While it's common for Protectors to venture off-world, the graduation ceremony was an important event for them, and they gathered to welcome their new compatriots. It's actually probable that the timing of Ruin's attack on Earth wasn't accidental.

There's a chance that some Protectors missed the event and are still out there, though the player character and Esther are the only ones that we know of.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2017
  3. EnzoTheHuman

EnzoTheHuman Void-Bound Voyager

That's really interesting to know, i just wished that there were some random encounters with other protectorates knowing that there's still some left.

4. {insert_name_here}

{insert_name_here} Astral Cartographer

Well there's a good mod idea!