Race The problem with most suggestions- my two cents.

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Ty525, Dec 22, 2013.

?

More racial suggestions need to be more creative and all around alien.

1. I agree

75 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. I disagree (Please explain why in a response)

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Will do.

Tell me when you want to start it.

2. AldoKaido

AldoKaido Starship Captain

Oh.

Okay,sorry,I didn't know that "facts" were "dictature",and that you could contest evidence.

Seriously buy a dictionnary,look up "alien".

3. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

a·li·en
    ˈālyən,ˈālēən/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      belonging to a foreign country or nation.
    1. a foreigner, esp. one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living.

Which directly conflicts with what you say.

Anyways I'm not wasting anymore time with you.

4. AldoKaido

AldoKaido Starship Captain

1.You only wrote the first definition,you seemed to have totally forgot the one that spoke about space.You know.The big black void around the Earth.The Earth that is not flat.

2.The only reason you could be "wasting your time with me" would be because you're totally unable to admit you are wrong when confronted to evidence.That's frankly childish of you to suddenly start acting all uppity,saying that others aren't worth your time,when you've never been trying to listen to them in the first place,and then "dismiss" them.But go retreat in your ego fortress for what I care.

3.No,it doesn't conflict with what I say.If you consider Earth a nation,then a lifeform that comes from the outside,and doesn't exist on Earth,is an alien.Yes.

5. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

Monkets,yep the Humans are based on Monkeys.

6. manofbedrock

manofbedrock Subatomic Cosmonaut

okay. I agree AND disagree. You seem to only care about what they look like. You know what? that's not even half of a race. It's the culture and society, racial personality and other such things besides looks are what really counts to me. I like Avians (yes partially because of their looks) mostly because of their culture and society. Something about Avians are so different! its just great! if I only cared about looks then...heck I'd probably choose Hylotl or something as my favorite race. Avians I enjoy because they are more original then most alien races we humans have come up with. I do however agree with what you're saying, at least a little. Some race ideas are not good at all, indeed, but you shouldn't just look at the images. You should read the "wall o' text" that's below. The race may not look the best, but they still can be one of the 'gems' you describe them to be. My race, the Nagath, at partially resemble of lizards and reptiles. But that's just because I love reptiles and I think this game needs a reptillian race. If you read the page, you'll find 99.9% of the actual thing is about the race itself. It's personality, it's tastes, it's culture. I'm not aiming for looks when I look at a race I like. I'm aiming for the race itself. Not just the pretty colors.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  7. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

You know if you had bothered reading the previous posts in this thread you'd know that the point you're making had already been addressed in great detail.

8. manofbedrock

Doesn't really matter to me.

9. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

Fine then.

"Character design in a visual medium is everything. You're right when you say that a good suggestion doesn't have to be designed well, but let's be honest here, how many people do you know that would want a generic, bland and boring design to go with that backstory? A unique design adds to the overall feel of the race and helps get people interested. Believe it or not a ton of race suggestions have good backgrounds, so really while it is important it's not the part that people are most likely to remember about your race."
    If you care so much about being creative when making your race's lore, then why give their appearance such little thought? There are already about a dozen other lizard race suggestions so you're not really doing anyone any favors in that regard.

10. manofbedrock

that is true. I flashy visual can be a good hook. but if you're aren't serious about adding the race to the game, then why all the work into the visuals? A good design is not what it looks like. I tried to make my race design unique looking, at least a little, but I'm not really concerned about it anyway. I think what really matters is the stuff behind it. The Novakid were not added because of looks, I believe, but because of what they are! The idea about their mental state was super original. That's what I like about them. I don't actually enjoy the Novakid visually. I just like what they are. I have NO pictures right now on my thread. But people who read my race's lore have loved it! I've gotten comments about how original my race is, okay? To them, it seemed, looks weren't what was driving their decisions. a truly good race is not what they look like. It's what they are.

11. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

So pretty much
    "Why bother putting effort into something if it doesn't benifit me?"
    If you're not concerned about it,why should anyone be concerned about your race in general? I think you're missing my point. Visuals are a part of the race. Part of what they are is their appearance. If anything you're tying your race down by making them generic lizards, there's already a mod with a lizard race why waste time on another? And I don't really understand what you mean about the Novakids. They literally have the least lore besides the npc races.

12. manofbedrock

Okay. Last thing I am going to say. First I want to start with this. Can we stop just stinking STOP ARGUING? What are we achieving through this anyway? Let's just be done, okay? I don't enjoy bickering with you. Final point. I put in what I said. I like the novakid, even without their lore. Just as a race they are brilliant. But really, what does it matter? we have an opinion. both of us. why are we trying to change it? do we believe that we are any more right than the other? just accept my point, please. I see that what you are saying is true, but I still don't agree with all of it, okay? so enough already! Maybe we're both right, maybe we're both wrong. How about we just leave it at that?

13. Creepy_Slime

Creepy_Slime Void-Bound Voyager

i do not even LOOK in race suggestions, too many similar races with different names

Gazz and Lecic like this.