Race The problem with most suggestions- my two cents.

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Ty525, Dec 22, 2013.

?

More racial suggestions need to be more creative and all around alien.

1. I agree

75 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. I disagree (Please explain why in a response)

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

I suppose this is somewhat true but I have seen people that have read this thread and redesigned their race so it's not too far-fetched. Like you said, most races are asked on popularity and the popular opinion of this thread seems to be in favor of outlandish designs. I honestly can't say for sure.
    That's also not really what biased means. A very loose detention of bias would be how your opinions and values distort your view of something. The dictionary.com definition is "a particular tendency or inclination, especially one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice." Really simply going against a specific idea doesn't make you biased.

And yes I didn't actually make my own race, so I did the next best thing I could and tried to help others. And I don't exactly have all the resources really make a race. I don't currently own a computer, I only have limited access to mobile devices and I am still in school. I have been making a race though. Just don't assume that because someone hasn't made a race it's because they're not skilled or are full of hot air.

2. AldoKaido

AldoKaido Starship Captain

Okay then I am God.

And I will report you if you try to prove me wrong because I decided that is offensive to question what I say I am.You just have all the proof you need that I am God in what I said above ("I am God").There's no questioning.

I am God.

Basically!

What : D ?

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

One - Actually provides a new race for the community to discuss
    One - Provides a guide to people - who will not read it either way.
    Can you guess which one of the two is actually useful?

You seem to miss the point entirely.
    My point is against this thread. A thread which serves no benefit as - for the people it is meant to be served too. Will not bother reading it either way.

Right.... I don't see your point.
    My point is the thread it self will hold its own merits.

Which one are you more likely to play
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

No i said it is based on the mentality of the Author. If they are just wasting peoples time and posting a half ass idea with no interest in improving. Or are they genuinely wanting to improve their concept by taking time to look at others before hand.
    Everyone will not want to improve.

I don't think you actually understood a word of that quote, from that reply.

cyberspyXD likes this.
  4. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

If the lore for your race (or thing) states it, sure.

On the forums reality is in place though. We don't live in the fictional world so you would be warned for those reports.

-----------------
    Aside from that disscussion I feel the Drale or Desulti are good examples of earth based races (Drale are dragonish but would count as lizards) that stand on the foundation of good lore and planning unlike most suggestion fodder.

Thoughts? I know other good written and planned ideas exist for these "earth" races that I have not stated but I pulled these two out because they stand out for me as a good showcase.

Jonesy and The | Suit like this.
  5. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

This thread obliviously is using a different defeinition of the word then you are
    Thread's Definition: Something not easily recconizable to life on earth; exotic in tone and nature
    Your Defeinition: Anything that the lore determines to not have earthly origins
    You know that's not what Aldo meant so there's no need to be a wise Alec about it.

6. The | Suit

You seem to misunderstand the direction of my argument.
    My argument isn't against people trying to improve on people suggesting races.

My Argument is on people who dislike people suggesting races, which don't fit their own perspective of what a "race" should be.. In your case - you are all right in my book.

It is the other people I am concerned about

cyberspyXD likes this.
  7. AldoKaido

Bwahahaha do you hear this guy

Here

This one is for you.

By the way I am god.The lore of my holy book I wrote states it so I am.So heeere : D.According to YOU,I am god.So you got nothing to say about it.

Come on this is getting ridiculous.Even you must know you're just making a total nonsense here,why do you keep going.

8. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

I just stated the true meaning. While it comes off as wise (maybe? Was stating what it meant actually) I'm just humoring him because he wants to act like a wise alec.

The | Suit likes this.
  9. The | Suit

I want to disagree with the wise part.

10. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Omnipotent god, only you carry out these acts. I just humbly agree to whatever you say as per the holy book in the lore.

On topic, you want to talk no nonsense, same for me. Lets talk without flame instead of humoring each other.

The | Suit likes this.
  11. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Wise alecs act wise, not actually are wise.

Not that I'm personally attacking him if he takes it that way. Instability will lead to mod intervention for reasons you know of.

12. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

Mono's saying that since these people are usually too lazy to use the search bar to look for other races with the same name, they usually won't look at the other races and even then there's no garentee they'll even like the race or even understand the things it did right.
    Your argument for visuals is also a funny one because it's hardly an argument at all. "Which would you rather play the original mario bros. a game with old visuals or Sonic 06 the face of next gen gaming?"

Monochromegoggles likes this.
  13. Peachy

Peachy Star Wrangler

The true meaning is a fallacy in this context.

14. Monochromegoggles

Monochromegoggles Phantasmal Quasar

Both, because it doesn't matter WHEN it was made, all that matters is if it fits the criteria. Again, YOU said a race will not be taken as a good example and will not be read if people are just going to post a bad suggestion, I did not. And you do not need to make a new suggestion if one already exists that can be used as a model

Again, your point is invalid because it has been proved that this thread HAS been useful and is benficial in helping people make better suggestions, therefore it isn't useless. You're just trying to take the moral high ground when it's not necessary.

No it won't if people are not going to look at it as a model to build their own.(Which again, you yourself said this, not me.)
    YOU are missing my points entirely and you keep building up a bunch of poorly constructed arguments. I've been arguing with you in circles yet you refuse to understand what everyone in this thread has been saying from the very beginning because you still seem to think that we're anti-suggestion, anti-furry, and contribute noting when it has been proven that this thread and these posters in it HAVE made changes and have helped.

Graphics are not everything. I still play games like Dragon Quest III for the NES because I like the story. I could care less if the graphics are antiquated. Now granted a good visual makes for a favorable race suggestion, but we still need a reason for the race to be there other than arbitrarily saying they just do. And if the mods are gonna make the mod for the race, they're probably going to look for a better spriter first. Besides, people have come along and made sprites for threads that they really like. I have done this myself for others, and am considering to do it again for another race suggestion.

People don't post suggestions just to waste the time of other persons. Why else would they post if not to try pushing for it? It doesn't matter what level of dedication they have, it's gonna fail if it's going to fail, persisting with it is just going to annoy people and lead to it being torn apart with negative feedback.

No I didn't, because I don't think you understood the analogy and are just talking out of your butt now.

15. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Visuals aid in getting your race approved. People would have second thoughts about a race with stick man drawings even if the lore, effort and planning was amazing.

16. Monochromegoggles

That's why I stated that if the community likes it enough, a person who is good at spiting will probably aid the suggester of the thread.

And again.... what this thread has been saying the whole time is that no matter how 'nice' a race of interstellar cats may look visual wise, there will be a large opposition if the lore for them is terrible. And again... cats in space, there's already mods for that, why do we need another?

17. AldoKaido

Once you're done reinventing the meanings of words and things like that maybe you'll move onto actually giving me arguments why I can't call a dog a dog.

18. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Depends on how unique they are. If it's just eye candy with paper thin lore it would sink as you said.

Dogs are dogs though. Their meaning is not commonly confused unless you only call them canines I guess.

19. Monochromegoggles

Exactly, which is why they need to be well-written. And again, a race isn't really unique if it's something we've seen before and reference it directly as "x animal on legs" and is already been modded for.
    We're not asking for miracles here, but it can't possibly be that hard to think out of the box. especially when there have been so many bad examples already that can show people what not to do.

Peachy likes this.
  20. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

I feel the same way. Good to know on a fundamental level we agree.

It's nice to see a more unique and original biped animal race though. It sets a example as to what people should strive for instead of half baked fodder.

I don't think of you as hardline anti animal by the way. Second paragraph was just a opinion of mine.