Chat The Prattle Pub (rants, raves, philosophical nonsense)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sir Wilfrey, Sep 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sir Wilfrey

Sir Wilfrey Spaceman Spiff

[​IMG]

I am your friendly shapeshifting demon barkeep Wilfrey,
    and this is a slice of the forums for those who feel they have no place to rant or get ideas off their chest to go.

Whether it's talking about philosophical things only you would ever make sense of, getting another opinion on an idea or thought, or getting deep into conspiracies, if it's long and winded (and abiding by forum rules of course) it will probably fit in here.

This is not a place to shitpost about how dank your memes are, or be an annoying, spamming ass.

I decided to make this for both myself and all the ranters out there who need a home, so come one and come all, pull up a chair and pick up a pint, and share what's on your mind. Though no promises anything from me will actually make any sense.

Here is the thread that inspired me to create this

2. Mile-High Hat

Mile-High Hat 2.7182818284590...

do you ever feel unsure of yourself? and not just in a casual, "oh-did-this-person-like-me" way now and then, but this constant anxiety?

like, maybe my whole way of thinking is wrong, and i really am just young and stupid. maybe my parents were right when they said i was entitled and selfish. and on the other hand, what if i'm selling myself short again? what if i could be more than i am now, if i just did something? maybe the things i like are stupid, and childish, and no one really cares about, or maybe i'm judging too hard again and people really do enjoy it. maybe i'm too sappy and emotional and unfit for the real world, and maybe i'm too caught up in keeping a cold front that i dismiss actual emotions and become numb to other people's losses.

maybe the things that make me angry or upset or sad shouldn't. maybe i'm disconnected from the rest of the world, or maybe i'm one of the fringe group trying to change it for the better. everybody says something different and i don't know who to believe, or what i believe myself.

3. Omicron445

Omicron445 Pangalactic Porcupine

It bugs me when people say "Anything's possible", it really does, because most of the time it's "This team could win the grand finale" or "That box of orange Tic-Tacs could have a white one" and all this nonsense, when they don't really understand the potential of that phrase. Say, everything in existence could implode in less time than we can measure or every human suddenly melting in the streets, or something even the most creative of Humans can't comprehend, but instead we compare it to things we usually think about, instead of things 'outside the box' and all that. That phrase isn't something you can say every so often, it's something people like me live by, a thought that rivals the very idea of Scientology and Religion themselves. This doesn't mean that people can't use it for everyday things, but rather that it can be used for far more. I could put this in "Things that annoy you" thread, but I figured this thread might need a little content, plus I'm not as bothered as I may sound.

Well, if you read the whole thing, than thanks, same goes for anyone who didn't read it, don't let me govern your life. Also, thanks for the thread Wilf, too often do I have thoughts running rampant in my head and no way to express them.

Red Ryder, Sir Wilfrey and MilkCalf like this.
  4. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

"Am i boring?"

The End.

5. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I'm sorta quoting your post here.

I like to think that there are multiple realities. There's the actual reality, real life, wich consists of physics, atoms and a bunch of creatures giving birth, eating each other and dying.
    Then there's the second one, the social reality, which is a pile of thoughts and emotions mingling with each other, creating groups, bonds, rules and roles for all animals.
    The third one is not a one reality but infinite ones that could be seen mirroring each others. Each mind is one. These ones are the most illogical of the three types, as they are infinite, contradictory and always shifting.
    All three of these realities have different definities of right and wrong.

Omicron445 and Sir Wilfrey like this.
  6. Sir Wilfrey

All of this is exactly what I made this place for, I feel fulfilled in having provided this place for at least a few people. Maybe more will come in time, who knows? And hell, since we're kickstarted, may as well join the fray myself, no?

There are some days, where I look back on the inhuman amount of shit I have survived and gone through, where I genuinely don't know where I get the strength. There's some days I see no purpose in continuing, yet I do it anyways. Sometimes I stand at the very edge of death and beg to be pushed over, only to grab the ledge and jump up even harder. And these days, I start to see less of my strength and more of my need to share it with people like me, or people unlike me, who struggle and are forgotten and given up on. Sometimes I seriously doubt I have that kind of strength, but I open my eyes and I'm sitting there doing it unknowingly, often with someone very close to me. So I think, as I mature and refine who I am more, I'll start branching out more, using my strength in a way that makes me feel full and of use to the world. Naturally, I have a lot of trouble with socializing, and there will always be people who refuse to understand my intent, or those I simply am too cold and bitter to help, restrained by ghosts and wronging of my past, but that must only drive me further. My opposition must become my fuel, I feel like that is the key to growing up.

Sometimes, I give into my ever-present insanity, I hear it clawing at my mind and I long for a release from the pressure of my restrained wrath and animalistic madness. But more and more do I see people around me, encouraging and strong, the few people who do understand me returning the efforts I put into them. And again, I just become stronger, and learn more ways to battle the psychotic and insane half of me that too many people are the first to meet. I may not be able to regain the people I lost to it, many of which are on these very forums, but I know I can make a better impression for future encounters. In the year I have been here, I've discovered a lot about who and what I am, though some parts will always shapeshift and change without my consent. I've made friends, and friends to family, and it's why I will never really be able to leave this place. In some way, to me, this is my forum, my home, my dysfunctional and disordered family. Shame so many only ever see the madman and never the person calling out from behind him, this place would be a lot more pleasant if people could look a little deeper than the surface.

Hoo boy and a holy cheezit that was a feel and a half eh? Back to the lighthearted doof I go 030

Kaede Grimwater and Omicron445 like this.
  7. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I'm going to talk about politics. Now I know you are probably cursing madly right now but give me a moment to explain. I'm not gonna go into any debate about who are good candidates or what are good parties. I'm more interrested in the political systems themselves.
    Let's start with the assumption that all politicals are dumb and/or manipulative bastards and that no good person would accept the stigma tht comes with being a politician. Maybe this is a major overstatement but it helps streamline my point. Politicians act nice to gain your vote and then forget about you when they get their place in parliament/congres (I'm not sure what the right word is). One of two thigs will happen: Either we have a somewhat even number of politicians from different parties that can't decide on anything or we have a party/parties creating a majority that only represents a part of the population.
    And now we see them do all kinds of dumb stuff and we want to stop them from doing what they do and kick them out. Problem; because they are meant to speak for us only they can decide anything political and forget about trying to change the political system itself 'cause they wouldn't like that.
    What I think we need are rules that accomplish two things: 1. Common sense triumphs. If a politician says something like "let's build a wall to keep the mexicans out and make them pay for the construction" that should mean that the politician gets thrown out. 2. Politicians shouldn' be able to lie. If a politician strays too far from their promises they get (you guessed it) instantly thrown out.

Sir Wilfrey likes this.
  8. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Oh, shapeshifting demon eh? I think that my sister is the same specie...

ANYWAY. *cough*

So uh... Rants eh?

Well yeah I mean it's nice of the Swedish government to take in immigrants, regarding what they're escaping from and all that. The thing that I'm disturbed about it though is due to this, unemployment and limited housing is increasing, and it kinda feels like they don't know why this is happening. Another thing on top of that is the immigrants themselves and what they get, there's been a few of those who've admitted that they were not war refugees and that they only came here for economical reasons. That's pretty sensible, although the problem here now is that they pretty much get free stuff, like a Iphone 6. Meanwhile I'm sitting here with my old buttonphone (I don't really need a smartphone, but I hope you know what I'm trying to say). I think that it would probably be better to use these resources for the elderly and for people who already have problems right here in our country.

Sir Wilfrey and MilkCalf like this.
  9. Sir Wilfrey

Half of me wants to rant several pages long and the other half wants to just make it all me screaming, and I can't decide which yet. But hey at least this is a bump?

MilkCalf and Omicron445 like this.
  10. Omicron445

1. [QUwOTE="Sir Wilfrey, post: 3051974, member: 566448"]Half of me wants to rant several pages long and the other half wants to just make it all me screaming, and I can't decide which yet. But hey at lAaqeast this is a bump?[/QUOTE]
    Listen to the first half.

MilkCalf and Sir Wilfrey like this.
  11. Sir Wilfrey

Hm, suppose I should. Though I dunno if it's a good idea to rant here, oddly enough.

Omicron445 likes this.
  12. Omicron445

Frankly, this thread could do with a few more rants and rambles. Besides, this is a place of acceptance, you really shouldn't be afraid to post here.

MilkCalf likes this.
  13. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

So I've been reading a bit (more) on existentialism. I can't tell if I agree with it or not. According to Jean-Paul Sartre the concept of choice is the idea that whatever is chosen is the right choice. "When a man chooses for himself he chooses for mankind." But what if I choose that, say, murder is the right choice? Does that mean it's okay for me, and subsequently everyone, to commit murder? What about if it's for revenge? Is murder now okay as long as it's for revenge? What about if I see someone else murder somebody. Is it okay for me to kill the murderer? But wouldn't that be going against the murderers choice of what is right? So then who gets to say if I'm right or the murderer is right?

Obviously there are norms most people agree on (like murder is bad) but then when you throw in things like revenge or punishment (capital punishment) it's now okay to commit murder? So which choice is right then? Bah. I don't know if I like the idea that everything is choice because it ignores neuroscience, which admittedly people like Sartre couldn't have known anything about. I wonder what he would think now that there's been advancements in the knowledge about the brain and how it decides.

On the flip side, everything is a choice. Even if someone told me to give them my money or they would kill me I would still have to choice to comply or not. Sure I'd risk death but I would ultimately be in charge of making that choice. Can be said for anything really. So then choices do seem to have some weight behind them when it comes to what's right and what's wrong. Is it right to choose to hand over my money? Or is it right for the mugger to kill me if I don't? This is kind of getting into the free will debate so I'll stop for now. (;

MilkCalf, Sir Wilfrey and Omicron445 like this.
  14. Sir Wilfrey

Bumpity-bump, still alive sorta. Our haven for long rants won't be burned in my periodic purge of my old threads just yet! I believe this is still a good place for those that need it and when they need it. A simple no-judgments place to drop off a paragraph or two of life nonsense is always needed!

15. BlueShard

BlueShard Giant Laser Beams

[Insert long boring and negligibly useful rant about life]

16. Sir Wilfrey

*sigh* or we can do that. that works I guess.

17. MS_NorthEastern

MS_NorthEastern Orbital Explorer

Philosophy, philosophy.

One big philosophical question for me is, what happens when you are put through a Star Treck teleporter? In universe it is explained that it breaks the user down molecule by molecule and assembles him/her on the other side. But as your being taken apart or transported, aren't you dead seeing as your body is broken into tiny pieces. Isn't what comes out the other end identical to you in every measurable way, but not in the immeasurable way. The soul, consciousness, etc. Seeing as you died and were put back together isn't the thing that comes out the other side a clone, and the person who went in destroyed?

What are your thoughts?

Sir Wilfrey likes this.
  18. Sir Wilfrey

Depends on how you perceive the whole "soul" thing. Being as they aren't material or measurable it'd make sense that it could simply be tied to the exact "frequency" of who you are, so if there's another exact you it could simply reattach itself. Or split in half, depending on your ideas. Could also be that there's just legions of soulless clones roaming the universe under the facade that what they do matters, which is deliciously dark and terrifying.

MS_NorthEastern likes this.
  19. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

So rants... I got some of those...

I'm sitting here at school and every moment I continue to sit here I die a little, why should I be forced here? An education for free? Necessary life skills? All bull, tell me when in real life am I going to need to know how to triangulate when the economy is so freaking bad that I can't work anywhere that isn't a fast food restaurant? And the fact that freaking schools label kids with numbers and ruin their future just because they don't want to be told what to do? COMMON CORE NEEDS TO STOP MARKING KIDS A STUPID AND TEACH THEM SOMETHING USEFUL! Like what we really need to know is how to do taxes and know common law, but do they teach this? The answer is nope.

Is anyone as angry about this as I am? Does anyone else realize that schools are doing more harm than good? That half of the population is still illiterate?

Sir Wilfrey and MS_NorthEastern like this.
  20. Sir Wilfrey

Seen seniors misspell Hope and Effort, I went home right after both. I feel you bud, I really do. You know what it's like to actually want to learn and go to school, but your teachers are actually less knowledgeable than you are? And they try to remind me of work I already do, assignments THEY can't keep track of and lose, and follow rules that serve no point and only promote stupidity rather than keep it away. Stupid people make stupid kids and in turn the rest of us who are trying suffer. If the failed operations I have to call classmates and authorities could follow their own rules and "advice", I'd be a college major at 17. There are few who work as hard as I do, as dedicated as I am, but I get lower grades because I refuse to do work my teachers lost or assignments that reiterate what we learned 5 years ago (like fucking comma usage, COMMA. USAGE. IN 11th FUCKING GRADE. I HAVE PUBLISHED TOWN-BESTSELLING NOVELS YOU DEGENERATES.) just so the general populace feels special. I'd like my postsecondary education now but I guess we all have to slog it through. Just more chances to show the privileged private schooler-run schoolboard that they will live off OUR work someday. While I'm out curing cancer, they'll be dealing with drooling inbreds and failed genetics for the rest of their lives. The paychecks may be great mr. superintendent, but that'll never fill the total lack of a brain or soul you have. At least I'll be proud and happy when I die doing something meaningful and productive in a field I comprehend with people I love.

Don't you even fucking get me started on "Common Core".

MetaFace likes this.