The Penguin Syndicate XVI - [GAME OVER]

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Zebe, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

tbh I don't think that was so much of a problem? at least for me

*pats zebe*

Jimlad 42 and Ryast like this.
  2. FranticLibra

FranticLibra Great Scott!

Zebe, this game was fun. I had fun. I believe that the game was kinda balanced. One or two mistakes, wrong questions could have led to victory of neutrals/penguins. Bu if you really don't want to host, don't do it. Don't force yourself to do anything. *pat pat*

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  3. Secondhand Revenant

Secondhand Revenant Aquatic Astronaut

I enjoyed the game for what it's worth!

Was more role heavy than I'm used to and sorry if I kind of broke things with how I used the poptop message

Jimlad 42 and Alkanthe like this.
  4. Secondhand Revenant

It did put Jake into a weird position (I was worried he got converted and thought he could still use his power) but in the end it didn't really make a difference

5. dyachei

dyachei Space Hobo

sad you didn't accept my concession, zebe

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  6. Secondhand Revenant

Liked your recovery on the poptop question. Did you realize what it was or just realize you should just agree?

7. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Yeah I tried to make this extra heavy on third party but still as balanced as possible b/c of the diversity in player experience. But I guess that backfired. I also knew there were a lot of roles that could somehow prove themselves innocent but I assumed the fear of Agarans would've scared all those claims off. Nope to that too.
    I guess this is as close to 3rd party only game as TPS is going to ever get.

Anyway I am not planning on hosting a mafia game any time soon. I guess I can play though so somebody take the lead instead shoo shoo go

Yeah I decided let things roll off naturally. :p

also day 5 gave me just enough time to work that game end post

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  8. dyachei

dyachei Space Hobo

i figured it out

Jimlad 42, 611 and Alkanthe like this.
  9. Secondhand Revenant

Nice. And your reason seemed plausible to me lol...

PoE just inevitably caught up

Also for the setup, gotta comment, when it comes to shadows I'd probably have tried to get recruited by agarans for an easier win condition. There's kind of a weird incentive there because their win condition seems really tough and agarans have an easier time

10. Ryast

Ryast Void-Bound Voyager

Zebe for what it's worth I don't think anyone didn't enjoy the game, and I don't think the mistake was that big (I've done much worse, @611 can verify) it's more the way the role was written, and that can be fixed

If you don't want to host because you don't enjoy it, fine, I get that. But if you aren't hosting because you don't think people like your games, you're horribly wrong.

Jimlad 42, 611, PsychoSoldier and 2 others like this.
  11. dyachei

dyachei Space Hobo

this exactly.

shit happens. Just do your best

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  12. dyachei

dyachei Space Hobo

would love to play another game here. @Alkanthe hit me up in discord if it happens?

13. Secondhand Revenant

Same. Different pace than I'm used to but I had fun

14. PsychoSoldier

PsychoSoldier Aquatic Astronaut

I really enjoyed playing with you all and getting different styles to read. And @Zebe, don't sweat about the mistakes. I've made pretty big mistakes myself. One game I had a hider who got roleblocked N1. I didn't remember that hider's don't get roleblocked, and I intended it that way, but by that point, I had no choice but to rule it "Roleblock overrides everything" lest I out the hider and completely ruin his game. Coincidentally, mafia kept blocking them for a few consecutive nights, so that one mistake rendered that role completely useless. I also bastardized town like a motherfucker(a miller AND an insane cop, and a vigilante with potential to go SK). I mirror what others have said: don't run a game if you don't enjoy it, but know the players both forgive you for your mistakes and have fun playing your set-ups.

Can we do another neutral/Third-Party-heavy game? That was badass.

EDIT: Also, Alk with an MVP move on D1.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Jimlad 42, CjBeats and Alkanthe like this.
  15. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

ehehehehe
    i still can't believe i did that and it worked

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  16. CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

Hurts me inside. But gg everyone. @voiditect very nice job as first time being a pengu. I'm proud. Also @Zebe these games are great, but if you wanna take a break, it's all good. Tbh I'd like to play a few more games with you as a player, cause those are fun. I still remember you and Hunter leading me on in the one game and flipping winning as maf. It was brilliant but sad for me.

17. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awww! Thanks, Kupo!
    yes I brought Kupo back!

Jimlad 42 and CjBeats like this.
  18. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

You did great!

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  19. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Not sure what to say, Zebe, that hasn't already been said. Stop hosting if you want to stop, not if you think this game went horribly. It sounds like you wanted to stop anyway though, so I understand if you do stop. This game went great, even with the "Mistakes" of the minor imbalance of the poptop, it was still hard. We won only because we had several good players on the town side and too few great players on the scum side. Even so it was a great game. It was difficult and fun, which is all that can be asked from a game.
    You did fine. I wouldn't blame you for any of the mistakes. People should have looked into roles since they didn't know a lot of them. The closest to a mistake on your part is just the divine dove's description not being quite clear. For the most part though, other mistakes like that could be handled by asking questions of you, or checking the role descriptions. They made assumptions, ones they shouldn't have. (I made sure to avoid that, making sure of the exacts of my abilities before I tried to do it. Others could have done the same.)

The one thing I would have done differently would have been to have an edited down role list somewhere only including the roles that are in your role list for the game. A few times I spent a few minutes opening just the roles of the possible classes and looking through those to get a better idea of what I might be up against.

Alkanthe and CjBeats like this.
  20. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I could technically host a game but I'd require everyone to read up on all the roles and somehow show that they have done so before joining in. Both to ensure people certainly have looked them up (to avoid a Poptop situation), and that my mistakes in role descriptions would be noticed and people would ask a question or two about the roles.

Also the game I'd host next would be different in a very radical way, I'm not sure what that would be exactly though. I've got several ideas.

Alkanthe, CjBeats and Jimlad 42 like this.