The Penguin Syndicate VII - Forum Mafia game - [GAME OVER]

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Zebe, Apr 8, 2016.

?

What is TPS8? (explanations on p.16)

1. 1. Traditional

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. 2. Role-heavy

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. 3. Total madness

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. 4. Agarans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. Something else

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Most of my playstyle revolves around trickery, deception, and being familiar with how other people play.

So normal wouldn't actually help the game progress. :p

2. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Aint that how everyone's playstyle is?

MilkCalf and 611 like this.
  3. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think I'm in heaven.

Where I come from, we have several members who scorn or don't value the true charisma of having fun.

4. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Milk, Milko, Milker, Milkinson, Milkin Park, MC, Calf and Calftrop are all joining.

5. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Good, 17 10 players already. So I made a poll. I'm not even sure what the poll is for exactly, but I guess it'll help to figure out what kind of setups to prepare, even if the exact type of the game will be random.
    1. Traditional: Boring Humans as the most common role.
    2. Role-heavy: Everyone has a power role. Civilians, Penguins, Cultist/Shadow.
    3. Total madness: Like #2, but taken to the extreme. Multiple alignments and questionable game balance.
    4. Agarans: The Agaran game idea I just keep dragging with me. Probably no penguins but at least one Cultist/Shadow/other.
    5. Something else: Describe your own idea, or just leave it for me to make something unexpected.

So it has a name, huh. The variant in the wiki even points out its own unfairness ._.

This is absolutely correct. *eye twitch*

But truthfully you've all gotten worse at confusing me.

6. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sign me up!

@Zebe The alpaca thing will be a three-man team, with PM's. No nightkill. If one dies from nightkill, the alpacas can't win. Their point is to convince the civilians they are penguins, without alerting the penguins. And so that the civilians are suspicious of anyone who seems like they could be a penguin (they could be an alpaca faking and therefore helping the alpacas if they lynch them.) This also makes the militant much more valuable, as they are the only civilian role that can eliminate alpacas. In the case the militant dies, the civilians will have to find the alpacas before killing the penguins.

Theoretically the game could come to a complete halt if all the investigative roles die, but that's unlikely, and anyway it could technically continue, it would just be tiptoeing through the minefield of not lynching the alpaca (which is great fun in itself).

Gilgamesh025 and Zebe like this.
  7. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Something else: game without revealing rolesets

The Squid, Zebe and 611 like this.
  8. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

For a moment I thought you were saying a game without role flips. I nearly panicked there.

The Squid, Zebe, zeskorion and 2 others like this.
  9. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Hahahahahahahahahahaha... no.

Zebe, MilkCalf and 611 like this.
  10. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's actually a thing too.

I really sort of wanted to host a game with that, but most everyone else who I play with aren't sadists, so it wouldn't have worked. :/

Zebe and zeskorion like this.
  11. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Who would agree to do that?

It kinda sounds fun though

Zebe and 611 like this.
  12. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

There are even special roles in existence that investigate dead people. :/

Zebe likes this.
  13. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

Hopy ship. That might become useful if TPS decides to travel any further down the rabbit hole started by the Occultist-Bot and the Master of Disguise King Penguin.

14. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Help. I don't understand any of this, and I come from a land of try hards and casuals.

15. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

The poll has been very helpful. Now I know everyone hates Agarans. maybe a good time to forget that entirely and make a pizza out of those things

Coincidentally the unfairness the MS wiki pointed out from the Mime is the same with Alpaca team; if one player dies, all fail. Potentially two could play great, just to lose with the last one. Maybe one just gets randomly killed on Night 1. And three is just too much. Game 6, the longest game of the Syndicate history, had 4 lynches. So even if they wouldn't be nightkilled, the probability of three Alpacas getting voted off successfully... kinda slim.

Maybe it could work with 2 Alpacas, and with two abilities: 1. If the other is nightkilled, the other has the following day to get lynched or they both lose. 2. If one gets successfully lynched while the other is alive, the still living one gets buffed to be able to survive one nightkill attempt. Sounds good?

I think this is what will happen no matter the type of game.

town/civilian nightmare? sounds like playing eyes closed blindfolded in a enclosed dark room located deep underground

It does sound intriguing. Some roles would become real important there, and maybe some new ones could work well... Which means it would need some more work so not next game, but perhaps later on.

Check the OP. There's a spoiler with all the roles described. O-Bot is role that has access to a PM conversation with dead players, and Master of Disguise can "disguise as another player" = if it dies during night it flips as whatever role their target player on the same night was. I guess those roles are original since I haven't ever seen similar ones elsewhere.

zeskorion, 611 and Alkanthe like this.
  16. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I would've voted for them... :(

611 likes this.
  17. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Town of Salem. :p

It's nearly impossible to find truly new roles. :/

I'll link you to an awesome wiki I found later that's got done juicy looking roles I haven't seen in play yet.

Zebe likes this.
  18. Gilgamesh025

Gilgamesh025 Space Penguin Leader

I like that idea actually.

19. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

@Zebe I'm down for anything that makes the alpaca team idea work. I feel like it'll be a fun game.

611 likes this.
  20. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

New thread time tomorrow.

The poll is still open so go ahead. it will be open forever since i have no idea how to close it

I'm not really familiar with Town of Salem. I checked the ToS wiki for roles now. The Medium there is almost exactly the same as the Occultist here, so that wasn't as original as I thought. But otherwise... well, maybe it is true most of the roles have been thought of before, but some are more or less unique. But guess it's kinda good to know if roles are commonly used, so that there's at least some proof they play well.

Also what wiki? :0