The Penguin Syndicate VII - Forum Mafia game - [GAME OVER]

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Zebe, Apr 8, 2016.

?

What is TPS8? (explanations on p.16)

1. 1. Traditional

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. 2. Role-heavy

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. 3. Total madness

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. 4. Agarans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5. Something else

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

What about a game where half of the players are Penguins and half of the players are Alpacas

2. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

Well, again, it's supposed to be more of a distraction role, where people have to decide whether it's okay to sacrifice our daily vote that we could use on a greater evil, or get a life off of the Harbinger when we know that there isn't any other defined enemy... I also probably should've added that the Cultist team still wins even if the Harbinger dies.

And that's if the Harbinger decides to reveal himself at the very beginning. Like you said, he could maybe wait a couple of nights and if he lives, the pressure would really be on.

i'm just trying to solve a major problem that has been brought up several times by multiple people ;_;

But if it sounds like an absolutely horrible idea then that's cool

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  3. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I had an utterly stupid idea that could work. What if I wouldn't make a poll, but prepare all kinds of setups (Role-heavy game, Agaran game, Boring Humans, other strange ideas, etc.) and then randomly pick one like usual. This all following the idea of hidden setups. In that way, nobody would barely have any idea what type of game it would be in the beginning. That'd sure make an interesting game.

Oh, setup-wise. In that case they wouldn't kill themselves, but each other. i can picture the first night lol that game would be over in two nights

Actually, what is called Cultist is here an SK. An what a Cultist elsewhere would be is called "an Agaran". If you haven't noticed yet, these games have a Starbound theme. perfect for confusing everyone with prior experience amirite

Here's a list of TPS roles and their MS wiki role counterparts. For some there just isn't a real good match, which I've marked.

Civilians = Town:
    • Boring Human = Vanilla Townie
    • Miniknog Interrogator = Cop
    • Noble Hylotl = Doctor
    • Floran Hunter = Jailkeeper
    • Star Sheriff = Follower
      • Ranger = Voyeur
      • Warden = No equivalent
    • Glitch Knight = One-Shot Bulletproof Townie
    • USCM Militant = Vigilante
      • Loyalist = No equivalent
    • Novakid Bandit = Vote Thief
    • Killer Plant = One-Shot Paranoid Gun Owner
    • Stargazer = Mason
      • Priest = Mason Doctor (!?!?)
    • Occultist-Bot = No equivalent
    • The Dove = Innocent Child

Penguins = Mafia:
    • Penguin = Mafia Goon
      • Persuader = Mafia Vote Thief
      • Spy = No equivalent
      • Protector = Mafia Doctor
      • Trooper = One-Shot Bulletproof Mafia Goon
    • Penguin Investigator = Mafia Role Cop
    • Dreadwing = Mafia Roleblocker
    • The King Penguin = Godfather
      • Master of Disguise = No equivalent

Third party/specials:
    • Cultist = Serial Killer
      • Enforcer = One-Shot Bulletproof Serial Killer
      • Hidden = Investigation-Immune Serial Killer
    • Agaran = Cultist
      • Chieftain = No equivalent
    • Shadow = No equivalent
    • Alpaca = Jester

pretty sure the penguins would win before the game starts
    ...but i guess thats the point

Yeah, it would be fairly good distraction but not too fun for everyone who'd be playing the role. And 1 kill per 3 days doesn't put too much pressure since the penguins can do three kills in the same time. And with the long wait it's fairly probable the Harbinger's target would be dead already. Besides that, Cultist roles are always alone, so there's no Cultist team even if there's multiple Cultists in the game.

I get what you're trying to do, but it's kinda hard to balance it out that way it wouldn't be at the cost of creating other issues. Perhaps make some changes to the role in order to make it more interesting to play. The Harbinger sorta has nothing to do for several days (possibly multiple weeks irl).

I had a sudden idea of a "Harbinger Alpaca". It's basically your idea, but it's not about killing. The Harbinger-paca would be hidden until they reveal themselves, and after they do it's the same thing: can only die via a lynch (1 lynch, 2 lynches? dunno). It also starts a 3-day countdown. If the Alpaca is lynched during the countdown, all setup information, roles, and players would be revealed to the alignment of the Alpaca's choosing. However, which alignment the Alpaca did choose, is not publicly revealed.

So the role would be there to convince people to lynch itself. As usual, if Alpaca gets lynched, it wins. It would be different kind of pressure and a potential gamebreaker, but it would be the ultimate troll-role in all existence. Perhaps it could die by Nightkill too, but if the alignment that was supposed to get the role info performs the kill, nobody gets anything. Or maybe turn the thing around in the way that if it doesn't die, the information is revealed. many many possibilities

And I admit it can get boring for a player to play the role, which I often criticize. Thus I'm a damned hypocrite in that regard. but ill just leave my crazy idea here ok it doesnt hurt anyone ok

4. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

100% approve of the Voyeur. One of my favorite roles in existence.

Zebe likes this.
  5. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the Harbinger Alpaca.

Here's another idea: Penguins, Civilians, and Alpacas. The Alpacas win if they're all lynched (and this ends the game). Civilians win if Alpacas all get nightkilled and penguins get lynched. Penguins win by night killing and/or having cis lynched. This requires both the civilians and the alpacas to kind of manipulate the penguins, and to not go off the bat lynching anyone suspicious.

Zebe likes this.
  6. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Alpacas as a faction? You mean they'd have a PM and all, just like the Penguins? Sounds... unique. If the Alpacas were a faction, would one dying to a Nightkill also ruin others chances of winning? I don't really know what to say about this.

Game 8.
    What? I dunno 'bout the setups, but they will remain hidden I suppose. Maybe something like these past few games, with a chance of some stranger setups.
    When? Earliest date I have in mind is May 2nd, aka next Monday. Though I don't really have any time to work on the setups before that. So, uh, Tuesday?
    Who? You! Why not start the signups right now, since that'll give some idea for the amount of roles. The game thread will arrive later.

Player List
    • Firepaw Da Cat
    • zeskorion
    • Miss Alkane
    • Rgbunpro
    • Gilgamesh025
    • Dave Combine
    • DustyScabbard
    • The Squid
    • MilkCalf
    • Zetlin97
    • YOU
    • MOST DEFINITELY YOU
    • YOU CANNOT RUN JOIN NOW

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    MilkCalf, The Squid and Alkanthe like this.
  7. Firepaw Da Cat

Firepaw Da Cat The Fluffy Cat

I'll join
    And try to be useful this game

Zebe likes this.
  8. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Zesko is in, as always

Zebe and MilkCalf like this.
  9. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Aka the Mime.

Zebe likes this.
  10. Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I'll join. Yes, despite everything else.

Zebe likes this.
  11. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Mwhahahaha, I shall crush you into th...

I mean, I can't wait to learn your ways. ;)

xD

I actually have no clue how this will roll, since y'all have so many different roles and names.

12. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I'm in of course zebe-senpai.

Zebe and MilkCalf like this.
  13. Gilgamesh025

Gilgamesh025 Space Penguin Leader

I missed an entire game... Why no one tell me the game was starting? Can I get into the next one pls?

Zebe likes this.
  14. Dave Combine

Dave Combine Corporate Co-Chair

EHHHHHHH sure ill hop in the bandwagon

Zebe likes this.
  15. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

Sure, I'll go for another spin.

Zebe likes this.
  16. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I guess I have to actually say I'd like to play next game, rather than just continue conversing.

There.

I've said it now.

Zebe likes this.
  17. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

No, please be incredibly vague about it, as Zebe enjoys to decipher the inner machinations of our minds, as he is doing every time we play his game.

The Squid, Zebe, MilkCalf and 2 others like this.
  18. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I will join game 8 if it's a thing

Zebe likes this.
  19. 611

611 Subatomic Cosmonaut

So you are saying I should play as I do normally?

Because I get told I'm waaaay too mysterious and uninformative.

That, coupled with the fact that I'm fairly decent at pinning certain players down as scum or not pretty fast, drives about 10% of the people I play with bats.

20. zeskorion

zeskorion Oxygen Tank

Yeah, play normal. This is an unpredictable lot- so have fun pinning us down

The Squid, Zebe, MilkCalf and 2 others like this.