1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Orcana

Discussion in 'Races' started by Nemasys, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah, now I'm going to have to watch it again. :D

2. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

I'm so glad that the movie is what you were thinking of. 'Cause that's the first thing that pops into mind when I hear "Atlantis", honestly - I liked the movie a lot as a kid. :)

Now I'm even MORE excited for this stuff. Woo!

3. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Orcas eh? Why not add some pacific northwest native american theme into them too? Tlingit, Haida, Chinook, maybe extending to the Aleuts... their woodcarving is a cool style to mix with the Atlantis theme.

4. saberCX13_BR

saberCX13_BR Orbital Explorer

How to install races mods in giraffe update?

5. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Drop it in the mods folder. You'll also need a character creation menu extension mod, though - otherwise they won't show up at the character creation menu.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the mods folder should be the one in "giraffe_storage" in the Starbound folder.

6. saberCX13_BR

saberCX13_BR Orbital Explorer

I don´t have character menu extension,please send the link.

7. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

8. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

K, so I like the tridents.
    It'd be cool if my ship had graphics, but it's whatever, gives me a reason to build on planets.

I would probably recommend Simple Extended Character Creation Mod the most, but personally I use Kawa's.

9. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

I thought about that actually, and I like the idea for maybe a walrus race. But since I wanted Orcana villages to be underwater I didn't feel that the heavy furs and skins that would likely be used by this sort of culture would have worked very well. A bit too cumbersome when wet.

Now that you've got me talking about it I want to do a walrus race now too... :eek:[DOUBLEPOST=1425422086][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I have implemented Febilian's Hylotl ship recolor as a temporary ship till I can get the actual design done. It will be in the next update. I just realized that I never actually mentioned that to Febilian... Hey, Febilian is it cool if I temporarily use your Hylotle ship recolor in the official Orcana mod? :)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
    Oberic likes this.
  10. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

Then switch the heavy furs and skins for some light fishskin, or sealskin? Heck, maybe netting could do too. But the armor, all dem wood carvings man...

11. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

That's perfectly fine, it was created as an addon for this mod after all. :) Use it as long as you like!

On that note, I actually was inspired to really draw for the first time in a month or so thanks to this mod! Thought I'd share the results. Admittedly it was done with "dolphin" in mind more than "orca" but eh. ;P

lady with a 'porpoise'.png It's probably not all that accurate and I took some creative liberties with the design, but hey, it was fun!

VanishMode and Mackinz like this.
  12. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

That's pretty freakin cool, Feb. And dolphins are totally fine; there are patterns that totally allow for that. I thought about naming the race after all cetaceans (whales, dolphins and porpoises), but Orcana just sounded cooler.

13. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Heh, well, good to know it wasn't totally off then. :) And thanks!

14. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

That is one boss drawing! You should draw more often! Heck, @Nemasys should share your art on the mods info page!

Febilian likes this.
  15. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

I would gladly post quality art like that on the info page.

16. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Aw, you guys. :'D If you'd like to, go ahead. I'd be honored!

EDIT: Y'know, it could be fun to try to design weird fin-styles for these guys, kind of like what I did in that drawing. Maybe if I figured out some designs I could see if I can make sprite variants or something. :) That could be fun...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  17. Mackinz

So I finally found the time to sit down and install the mod. Quick Error report (non-fatal errors):

Code:
    [01:53:49.662] Error: Object hylotlshipdoorBroken defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/hylotlshipdoorbroken/hylotlshipdoorbroken.object
    [01:53:49.751] Error: Object brokenhylotlfuelhatch defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/brokenhylotlfuelhatch/brokenhylotlfuelhatch.object
    [01:53:49.756] Error: Object hylotlshiplocker defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/hylotlshiplocker/hylotlshiplocker.object
    [01:53:49.816] Error: Object hylotlshiplockerTier0 defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/hylotlshiplockertier0/hylotlshiplockertier0.object
    [01:53:49.818] Error: Object hylotlteleporter defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/hylotlteleporter/hylotlteleporter.object
    [01:53:49.825] Error: Object hylotltechstationTier0 defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/hylotltechstationtier0/hylotltechstationtier0.object
    [01:53:49.876] Error: Object hylotlcaptainschair defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/hylotlcaptainschair/hylotlcaptainschair.object
    [01:53:50.305] Error: Object hylotlteleporterTier0 defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/hylotlteleportertier0/hylotlteleportertier0.object
    [01:53:50.337] Error: Object hylotltechstation defined twice, second time from /objects/ship/orcanatechstation/hylotltechstation.object
    [01:54:16.936] Error: Could not load /items/guns/orcana/boltgun/novatier7revolver.png asset, using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No such asset '/items/guns/orcana/boltgun/novatier7revolver.png'
    I know the mod is a WIP, so you might want to look into those~

18. VanishMode

VanishMode Subatomic Cosmonaut

Error is in duplicates, the mod has the hytotl files the game already has, so it gives this error. Nothing serious, shouldnt cause crashes but those files are not needed for the mod to work. I believe they are place holders for the mod's own files.
    The gun error is a simple renaming missed in that particular t7 gun .gun file.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  19. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

I honestly don't know why those are popping up. I'not getting any of that. I'm away from my computer till this evening, so I can't look into it right now. What I can recommend right now is to delete your Orcana folder and reinstall the latest version if you haven't done that already.[DOUBLEPOST=1425492723][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm totally willing to take ideas for fin and pattern designs. Have at it!

20. Mackinz

This is from the latest download. I have access to the starter toga.