1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Orcana

Discussion in 'Races' started by Nemasys, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I like it.
    Sandals might be nice, but it looks great now too.

2. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

So I've decided I'll finally give this mod a try! It just is too cool for me to pass up any longer. I mean, c'mon. Porpoise people! How awesome is that? :)

...Thing is, I'm just completely DONE with the human ship right now since pretty much all the race mods I play with use it as the starting default. Which is understandable, but I'm just really sick of seeing the same ship upgrades every darn time is my point.

Because of that, I'm cobbling together a recolored Hylotl ship in a mod patch that requires this mod to function. However, since the Hylotl ship shape(which I'm using to make this) is different from the Human ship shape(which the mod currently uses!), existing characters wouldn't want to use this, and you wouldn't want to uninstall it afterwards unless you like broken shipworld files.

That being said, may I have permission to post this sub-mod to this thread when it's finished?

3. siegeseya

siegeseya Big Damn Hero

maybe orcanas guns could be harpoons?[DOUBLEPOST=1425309073][/DOUBLEPOST] orcana shouldnt have tails because that would ruin their alien look

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Sure! Post away. Once I updating with the actual Orcana ship (beyond tier 3) people will get "broken" ship worlds anyway. I believe the easy fix is to put all your ship stuff into your inventory and then delete your ship file. Restarting the game should recreate a proper ship file with the current ship. That's my understanding anyway. I could be wrong - I've never actually done it yet.

Funny you should mention that. I am actually already working on guns for them. Harpoon pistols actually... with a twist. These along with the tridents are the main weapons of the Orcana.

5. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Alright, cool! I actually was just finishing up the testing of the ships, so I may as well post what I have.

I mean, I easily could've missed something on the higher tier ships because those are a pain to unlock, but I think it should be okay and working. :)

Currently the ship items are Hylotl ones(like shiplocker, tech station, etc), but the ship itself is differently colored, and contains the appropriate starting loot for Orcana. I might go back and make themed shiplockers/etc later, not sure yet.

EDIT: Attached a screenshot, in case someone was wondering what the color scheme of the recolored Hylotl ship actually looks like. I was really tired when I first posted this so I didn't even think to get any screenshots at the time.

And at this point I'm probably going to make the ship-specific items themed to match the rest of the color scheme... I'll see about posting the updated version whenever I've finished that.

Also, after reading the front page for the mod again, since there are more details about what the "Atlantean" stuff would look like, I might make yet another variant with a different color scheme to see if something else would fit better. Maybe a dull bronze color for the body or something with darker blue lights, not sure yet.

I mean, this mini-mod still fulfills the purpose(or porpoise? *eyebrow waggle*) of giving the Orcana something that isn't the human ship, so it all depends on what I end up being willing to do I guess, haha.

EDIT 2: Okay, I added in some custom ship objects and replaced the files attached to this post with the newer version + screenshot of it. Probably won't mess with it further unless I find out something is wrong with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  6. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Can we have Togas as starter clothing? :O

7. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Currently in the works. Should be ready relatively soon.

8. Mackinz

Yaaaay

By the way, if you need architecture, cultural, or armor ideas, you should look up the Atlanteans from Age of Mythology.

9. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

It would appear that the tier 5 and 6 spears(so six of them in total) are all crafted with Perfectly Generic Items. Seems you've still got the recipes directing to "bars" of the materials needed, instead of the new "refined" and "compound" varieties of the endgame metals.

Just thought you might want to know if you didn't already. :)

10. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Thanks Fabilian. I spotted that yesterday and have it fixed and ready for the next update. The tier/design combos have been altered a bit too, but there will be a complete trident fix posted soon.

11. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

Alright, cool. I'll look forward to it!

12. Mackinz

Hey, Nemasys, what do you envision for this mod? I could use a more thorough explanation for your wording here:

13. Febilian

Febilian Cosmic Narwhal

I'm actually curious about the same thing. I'd feel better about the whole ship edit thing if I had an idea of what is considered normal tech for these guys. ;P

'Til then I'm gonna say my Orcana is a shifty 'un who stole a ship from a hylotl and gave it a new paint job to throw off the authorities. >v>

14. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

That actually sounds good to me. A recolor of the Hylotl ship would work well enough, and the hylotl ship design is very nice.

15. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Well, to get an idea of the type of tech I'd like to use take a look at the Disney movie Atlantis: The Lost Empire. The design for the sub in that movie is what I was going to use as a basis for my ship design. As far as architecture goes, let me post a few images to give you an idea...

I like the idea of stone mixed with the neon wiring stuff. You can see it a little on the fish things from the movie. It looks kind of like Tron, but in stone (and maybe not quite so much neon as Tron)... So at first glance the tech would look a little primitive, but it has that underlying sci-fi feel. Does any of that help?

Oberic likes this.
  16. Mackinz

It does a little... but why mention Aztec/Maya cultures, when the styles you've shown are far more Greco-Roman?

Also, where would the Orcana habit? Oceans? Arctic oceans?

17. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Well I get an Aztec/Maya vibe from that first image and I really like that one's style. It seems to incorporate aspects of both types of architecture. But you're right; the others do have more of a Greco-Roman thing going. The Orcana inhabit ocean worlds. I haven't done anything with villages yet, but it's my hope to be able to put them on the sea floors of these worlds.

18. Mackinz

Given where Orcas live IRL, it would probably make more sense for the Orcana to live in colder biomes, but it's your decision. Also, I think you should lean more Greco-Roman over Aztec/Maya, to not encroach on the Avian architecture.

19. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

While have included many images of orca-like characters, the Orcana can actually look like a number of different animals from the porpoise family. It could go either way though. I'm not hard set on their planets being normal ocean planets. Maybe that will be my next poll...

As for the architecture, perhaps we should call it mostly Greeco-Roman with some Aztec/Mayan influences.

Mackinz likes this.
  20. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I like the style of the structures and such in the Atlantis movie. Sounds solid to me.