The NPC jerks aren't getting any nicer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 923816, Dec 17, 2017.

1. 923816

923816 Intergalactic Tourist

You know how, for example, if you get to 4 hearts with Linus, he stops saying things to you like, "Please don't destroy my tent"? Or if you get to 8 to 10 hearts with Haley she becomes tolerable?

Well, I've played a few games where I married Alex. He's insufferable until you get to about 6 hearts, then he sort of changes and becomes likeable (to me). (As an aside, if you're a female character, does he really order for you in the 10-heart scene? I always assumed the farmer ordered her own food, which would mean she actually wanted the salad. But I can't remember.)

Anyway. In my current game, where everything else is going swimmingly, I'm at 9 hearts with Alex. And he's still a jerk. (Some would argue he's always one; that's not the point of this thread though). Usually around 6 or 7 hearts he progressively says fewer and fewer obnoxious things as the relationship progresses.

But in this game the dialogue hasn't changed. At 7 and 8 hearts the game is still generating dialogue from when I was at no hearts with him. And I sort of want to kill him because of it. His cut scenes are all the same, however - they're really the only things standing between him and certain death at this point. D:

So I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and also if anyone can tell me how the game generates character dialogue. It seemed like there had to be something in the code that kept certain dialogue from being used after reaching a certain number of hearts. I just don't know what that is, or why it's not working all of a sudden. (I haven't played in months; this is my first game since March).

tl;dr - How does the game generate character dialogue? Is it completely random, or is there something in the code that makes the dialogue different when you get to a certain number of hearts? Because in the game I'm currently playing one character is using 0-heart dialogue at 7-8 hearts. And it sucks.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

My understanding is that while some of the dialogue is time/date stamped (i.e., you get some NPC phrases based on the season and time of year), there should be some connection between heart level and the choice of random snippets you get in everyday conversation. (Seconded about the, 'always a jerk' aside. Don't let his heart scenes stand between him and certain death or at least a smack to the side of the head with a lingcod.) Sounds like a glitch-- are any of the other NPCs with higher heart levels still saying their less-friendly remarks? Are you running any dialogue or heart-modifying mods?

No, I'm not running any mods. And Sebastian seemed to get nicer as I got more hearts with him (though he's still a bit weird). I'm also at about 7 hearts with Linus (poor old guy), and he no longer thinks I'm going to destroy his tent. So, progress with those two at least. I never befriend Hayley or Shane.

Another odd thing was that at the fortune teller booth I had Seb and Alex at the top of my social menu... and she didn't say anything at all about Alex. She instead told me about Seb, and then about Robin, who was at number three.

So either this is a really weird, specific, Alex-related glitch, or... hm. I don't know how to end that sentence, haha.

Thanks for replying BTW. But now I'm thinking I should have posted this in the bugs forum. My bad.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Possibly. You could ask a moderator to move the thread if you like. As for the fortune teller, it does sound like there's something weird in how it's tracking Alex's hearts, if you're at nine and the fortune teller isn't even noticing. Your exact numerical social standing should be in the save file in a pretty simple-to-read text format, once you locate where it is. (Before you ask, no, I don't personally know where in the save file that would be stored, only that all the data is pretty straight-forward once you figure out what part of the file it's in. Perhaps someone with more save-editing experience can point it out.)

Okay, thanks again. I'll see if I can find the save file.

EDIT - Found it, and while I can't technically read code, it appears that the game knows I'm at 9 hearts; there's a number following each character name and the numbers for Alex, Sebastian, and Robin (the top three in my social menu) are the highest. The numbers for villagers I never speak to are the lowest. Don't know if that's the correct interpretation of things, however.

I'll ask a mod to move the thread to the bugs forum.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
            • Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Don't feel bad. When I got to the heart scene with Shane where *spoiler* he's thinking of jumping off the cliff... i was tempted to pick any dialogue that I thought would make him do it... but alas... there was none. :lod:

Honor Shipping likes this.
              • Haebaragi

Haebaragi Weight of the Sky

When I first saw this title, I thought there was some spastic cerebral palsy in NPCs goin on, creepypasta gaming style.

Honor Shipping likes this.