The new numbers on Animals: Can they actually compete?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

When I wrote the guide, there was nothing showing Rancher worked on artisan prices. In my beta test, it only increased base price, not artisan price. No documentation or evidence existed which supported that it also affected goods created from the items.

Here's an idea:

Rancher does basically what Botanist does... instead of increasing base price, just do a guarantee higher quality product from animals. This would achieve roughly the same thing, more money from animals, without any wonky unintended consequences from screwing around with base numbers used in calculations all over the place, and it would give something we don't currently have: stability. If your animals would make quality goods consistently, then it is something more dependable, something which we could use as more firm numbers. Another alternative would be a chance of making a second product, like Gatherer.

In fact... that sounds pretty nice... level 5 perk is Rancher, gives a 20% chance of a second product. Level 10 is a choice between Coopmaster or Barnmaster. Barnmaster makes sheep produce wool every day, and artisan products created from animal products get a minimum quality of the animal product put into it (so an iridium quality wool will product iridium quality cloth). Coopmaster makes all eggs guaranteed Large (including Duck and Void, only way to obtain large duck and void eggs, to make the perk worth having), and all animal products from coop have increased quality.

Combine that with fixing the aforementioned well documented animal happiness bugs, and animals will become a very solid play style. Barnmaster making sure that your artisan goods will never be obsolete, and has a very good chance of finally out-performing Artisan due to quality multipliers. Since many things from Coops are sold as-is (feathers, rabbit foot, dino eggs), they would get a lower benefit from having the identical quality as product in, but a guaranteed large egg, and being the only ones that can get large duck and void eggs, gives it additional value, and overall bonus to quality on things like dino eggs is going to be very lucrative.

nevyn21 likes this.
    • bobucles

bobucles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Come on, man. You can not possibly suggest tripling sheep output and expect to be taken seriously. Anyway I think specific animal perks are dumb. It's like making a parsnip perk for farming. Boost ALL the animals and let the player choose what they want to have.

WilliamZ likes this.
      • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Shepherd is already supposed to make sheep produce everday, the bugs just prevent it from happening except for rarely.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
        • Shiverwarp

Shiverwarp Starship Captain

Honestly I don't think any changes will have to be made once the animal bugs are fixed. I'm not seeing these "wonky unintended consequences from screwing around with base numbers" you're talking about. And having the level 10 perk in the rancher tree just create BETTER artisan products than artisan seems completely baseless. Even gold products (1.5x value) would be better than artisan (1.4x). The only way for artisan to compete would be to spend entire seasons aging their products, and some artisan products cannot even be aged.

If something like this were to be implemented, we'd lose the interaction of high quality animal products being worth more than their artisan counterparts. (Which I think is really cool, and creates interesting research and decision making for the player)

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

We'll find out where Shepherd is at after I test Starpeanuts new mod.

• Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

Or, looking at your code, it directly affects the products the same as artisan, and always takes the base price. This explains why Iridium Milk becomes normal cheese in the end and L.Milk always makes Gold quality cheese x.x

wish it was like harvest moon, milk made cheese, L. Milk made L.Cheese - the quality system is a nice touch to animal products here, but in my opinion it should carry over from the base to the product to a certain degree. Or at least i wish it would :/ Getting Silver Wine while throwing in Gold Fruit would be awesome, as well as for eggs, golden mayo for iridium eggs.... :x

nyways - if those freaky bugs are finally fixxed i'll probably go for a pig ranch

Th-Th-Th-Th- ('-')/

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
              • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I installed and played with Starpeanuts new mod. This mod does not increase or change my production, only changes production to be what it should be at assuming I can keep my animals at max happiness everyday. Which should be doable if animals worked right.

Anyway, here's a typical day of production with the bugs:
                Typical Daily Production Pre-mod.jpg

29/60 Sheep

Here's with the mod:

Daily Production Post-Mod.jpg

60/60 Sheep

All I can say is thank you Starpeanut!

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                • ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I weep at not being able to google things right half the time, let alone use any mods. T-T

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

The mod is pretty easy to use. You need SMAPI here (with instruction video) . Then the mod is here with instructions. After you get it all installed you just run the SMAPI and it launches Stardew Valley for you.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                    • Magistrella

nice, so you actually do get 1 wool/day/sheep now, do you?

Seeing as most produce is iridium this got to be close to 45-46k/day with 60 sheep, which isn't that bad actually ^^ Still nothing for my lazy bum that only likes to work 2 days per week *cough* ~.~

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Automation would help, yes. Shearing that many sheep takes a few minutes. Mostly, I'm happy because I don't have to go to bed at 8pm now.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

Every time I try to read the instructions I start to fuzz out and IDK why.X3
                          Been vanilla from day 1 to forever but not by choice. To be blunt I'm tech-challenged. I'm the stereotypical grandma that has to have their grandkids come over and do everything, only 31 and only grandkids are grandkittens so they can't help much.X3

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Sucks for those of us not on Windows, though. Not even sure why SMAPI went to .NET 4.5 when the game itself only runs on .NET 4.0, but as a result, it is playing hell with getting everything crossed over.

nevyn21 likes this.
                            • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I bought a pig just to see how well it did with the animal bug fix mod. They seem to skip a day and then produce the next. My one pig dug up 6 Iridium Truffles in one day at 1250g a piece with Rancher.

• Magistrella

6 a day? Jeez - without the mod and full happiness (petting before eating etc) they tend to produce 1, max 2

I wonder if pigs would be OP if CA actually fixxed this x.x

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I have botanist too which applies its bonuses to truffles. Thanks for figuring it out in the other thread. :)

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I watched my single pig for a week and counted truffles. I am using Starpeanuts Happy Animals mod and my pig is at max friendship after a month with Rancher.

The first number is Truffles dug up. The second is additional harvests from Gatherer.

Day 1: 1/0
                                    Day 2: 1/1
                                    Day 3: 1/0
                                    Day 4: 2/0
                                    Day 5: 5/2
                                    Day 6: 2/1
                                    Day 7: 3/1

7 day totals: 15/5.

So 20 truffles at iridium quality with Botanist is 1250g a piece for 25,000g for one pig for the week. My best sheep do 816g a day for 5,712g per week.

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                                    • Skip Sandwich

Skip Sandwich Void-Bound Voyager

@nevyn21

Have you messed with rabbits any yet? I just got my first Deluxe Coop in my newest save and plan to try them out. I expect i'll be able to post some trail production-rate numbers in a few days.

My expectation is that w/Coopmaster and max friendship they should produce wool every 1-3 days, depending on if rabbits have similar rules to production as sheep, but I look forward for the chance to back that up with hard numbers.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
                                      • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Rabbits are around every three days but my sole rabbit is only at half friendship. Not enough to make them worth keeping since rabbits feet are rare. Sheep produce 2-3x the wool.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
                                        • Skip Sandwich

Skip Sandwich Void-Bound Voyager

I can now confirm that neither max friendship nor coopmaster have any affect on how frequently rabbits drop wool. Disappointing.

On the other hand, pigs are stupidly profitable with almost no effort so long as you can maintain enough grass for them to graze on. With Gatherer/Botanist I get on average 9-13 truffles per day from my 11 pigs for 11,250g-16,250g profit per day. I sold my coop and all my 5 hearts rabbits and have no regrets.

currently on fall of year 2 on my current save with all community upgrades completed (jojo route for simplicity) plan to upgrade to cellar soon as well as build a large apiary zone. I currently have about 60 bee hives and counting, progress halted by lack of maple syrup production so i've had to expand my tree tap area as well by about 20 more trees.

nevyn21 likes this.