The new numbers on Animals: Can they actually compete?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Right, so summer crops took a hit on blueberries, which is primarily only important in year one, and Cranberries got hammered, to the point of almost no longer being viable. Which begs the question... can the boosts to animals overcome the nerf-bat that the crops took?

The Caveats:

Calculating this is going to be pretty difficult because RNG plays a role here, but otherwise it is calculated much like Greenhouse crops... once you have your initial investment amortized, everything else is pure profit. The downside is that there's a LOT of overhead here to cover.

I'll be providing a couple of sets of numbers. One is going to be the 'worst case scenario' with a %50 reduction to take into consideration RNG being a stingy jerk. This is almost certain to be a far lower lowball than you will likely ever see in an actual game, but without any hard numbers, I feel the need to err on the side of conservatism to present a potential worst case. On the other end, I will not be taking into consideration the fickleness of the RNG, meaning yields are going to be higher than you can anticipate in a real game environment. Again, I don't have anything solid to base it on, so this is the 'best case scenario' solution in an ideal world.

The reality is going to lie somewhere between these two figures. Where, I simply don't know. I don't have the RNG formula with which to calculate reliable probability and statistics. Then again, we all know the old saying about lies, damned lies, and statistics, so perhaps it is for the best.

Also:

A rumor that I would like to disabuse people of: Rancher does not increase the value of artisan goods made from animal products, which means that even if you plan on going with a heavy animal focus, Tiller/Artisan is *STILL* going to be the most profitable way to go. Even with starred animal products now available, even with the boost to Rancher, it is still going to be better to Artisan it up.

With that said, let's look at costs and profits, shall we?

The Barn:

Cows. Basic staple animal, produces milk roughly on a daily basis. Turns into Cheese, which is a really darn good food, and can be aged in casks in your cellar for better returns. But how much better are they really? Well, let's find out.

Cows can start off in the basic no-frills barn, available from Robin for 6,000g, 350 wood, and 150 stone. They cost 1,500 a pop, and you can put four cows in a Barn. There's absolutely zero reason to not fill your barn full, if you are going to bother building one, all you are doing is losing out on daily profits if you don't. That's another 6,000. Oh, and you'll need the Milk Pail for an extra 1,000

So, the total cost to get started with Cows is 13,000 + 350 wood + 150 Stone. Doable in your first summer if you favor it over some of your tool upgrades. Don't forget your Silo, either, but since all animals require the silo, and because it is so cheap, we won't be factoring it into these equations. Also, you'll eventually want a Heater at 2k before the first of Summer, and will be needed in a Coop as well, so the costs balance out.

So, how long will your cows pay back your costs?

Assuming no upgrades, 4 cows busily churning out 1 milk per day, to turn into 1 cheese per day, This is a base minimum of 200g/day per cow for the Highball figure, or 100g/d/cow for the lowball figure. So, you're looking at 400-800 gold per day.

However, once your cows get hearts, they will be more likely to produce Large Milk which produces Gold Star Cheese that sells for 300 a piece.

And that doesn't take into consideration that you can age cheese up to Iridium Quality. Assuming you have the casks, each Iridium Cheese is worth a base of 400 each, which brings it up to 560g each with Artisan. Assuming this maximum condition, where you have enough casks to age your cheese to Iridium with no backlog, and you have Artisan, you are looking at 2,240/d for the highball or 1,120/d for the lowball. Honestly, you're probably looking at an actual result closer to the high end, but I cannot confirm that.

Now, what if we upgrade the barn clear up to Deluxe and fill it with 12 cows? What kind of profits would we be bringing in then?

Well, first off, the Deluxe Barn is expensive, ringing in at 43,000g + 350 Wood + 650 Stone, or just shy of 70k (69,500g to be precise) if you buy it all from Robin instead of supplying your own building materials.

Then you've got 12 cows at 1,500 a piece for a total of 18,000, then +1,000 for that pail. That rings in at 88,500 total cost. Whew... so, what do we get out of it?

Well, 12 cows churning out 12 cheese, aged to iridium star cheese, with Artisan, comes out to 6,720 as a highball figure, or 3,360 as a lowball. You'll actually pay that off in about two to three weeks, depending on how nice the RNG is to you. After that, it is pure profit. 188,160g per season, in point of fact.

Unfortunately, the Barn also has a very large footprint at 4 x 7, or a total of 28 squares, bringing the profit per square back down to 6720 as a best case scenario. Blueberries, even post-nerf, produce 520 per season per crop, which leaves a seasonal profit of 28 blueberries at 14,560, cranberries are only slightly less. So even in an ideal 'perfect storm', crops are still roughly twice as profitable per square during their season, at an absolute minimum.

Goats are unfortunately even less profitable than cows, since they produce roughly half as much milk and have steeper investment costs. Pigs aren't worth it because they won't produce ANYTHING in the Winter and the products are actually Foragables rather than Animal Products, and Sheep... well, if someone could get me a reliable estimate on how often you can shear a sheep, I'd be willing to calculate it out. The only funny thing about Sheep is that with Rancher/Shepherd, you can actually end up in a scenario where you LOSE money by weaving the wool into cloth. In fact, with that setup, while you may lose out on 40% of everything ELSE your farm does, you get a better deal out of selling raw will as long as it silver star or better. However, EVEN IF sheep produce wool EVERY DAY without fail, they STILL won't produce as much as guaranteed iridium star cheese from regular cows via aging in casks. Which... pretty much says everything that needs to be said about animal products. The beginning animal is also the most profitable. Yea, some re-working of some numbers probably needs to be done here at some point.

The Coop:

So, let's look at the other side of the equation. A coop is cheaper than a barn, at only 4k + 300 wood + 100 stone, and you don't need that milk pail for the extra 1k cost entailed.

Chickens. The first and easiest one to obtain. At a mere 800g a piece, it's also the cheapest animal you can get, allowing you to re-coop your losses (pun intended) quite rapidly. As with the barn, there's absolutely no reason to not max out your number of animals, so that's 800*4=3200. You can sneak into a Coop and Chickens for only around 7200 plus materials, so less than half the cost of a full Barn. Not too shabby.

Chicken eggs get turned into Mayo, which sells for 190 each. Actually... not too shabby, only around 10g less than the cows can get for their cheese at base price. This brings in gold-star Mayo from Large Eggs at 285g/ea.

The problem here is that unlike the cheese, there's no way to age Mayo (Ewww....) for extra profits. So while the initial cost is lower, and it pays itself off sooner, it also is ultimately far less profitable. In no case is selling raw chicken eggs a profitable deal.

Ducks are worse because their yield is so much lower, but even if they did produce as much as a chicken, cows would still have them beat with iridium quality cheese. Considering you can go a whole month without seeing a single duck feather, we can safely eliminate them from the equation.

Rabbits are even worse still because their drop rate is so abysmally low.

But then there's Void Chickens. Void Mayo has hit the scene in a major way! In addition to being quite the delicacy for goblinkind, they sell for a base price of 275 a piece! Mind you, you'll need an incubator, which means at least a Large if not Deluxe Coop, and since there is no such thing as a Large Void Egg, there's also no such thing as gold-star void mayo, so you still end up behind Cows due to aging giving them the ability to absolutely guarantee that every piece of cheese comes out of your production at Iridium Quality, However, since you can only incubate void chickens, that means the most you will ever have to spend to get them is the cost of the coop itself, and maybe a single void egg from Korobus down in the sewer if you get unlucky with the witch.

It's a shame, but none of the coop animals can compare with cows, due primarily to the ability to age cheese. For some reason, aging mayo never quite turns out right... who knew?

In Conclusion:

tl;dr: Cows are most profitable animals, but they still fall behind crops three seasons out of four. But cows are a very reliable and consistent mostly passive income, due to being able to age the cheese in casks in your cellar. Since it'll take not one but multiple seasons to age your wine, this might be a better use of your cellar space.

WilliamZ likes this.
    • Pawndawan

Pawndawan Aquatic Astronaut

According to wiki, this is how products age in a cask:
      • standard Mead / Beer to iridium, 28 days (200 g -> 400 g, 200 g profit): 7.1 g / day
      • standard Pale Ale to iridium, 28 days (300 g -> 600 g, 300 g profit): 10.7 g / day
      • standard Cheese to iridium, 14 days (200 g -> 400 g, 200 g profit): 14.3 g / day
      • standard Goat Cheese to iridium, 14 days (375 g -> 750 g, 375 g profit): 26.8 g / day
      • standard Ancient Fruit Wine to iridium, 48 days (1,650 g -> 3,330 g, 1,650 g profit): 34.4 g / day
      • standard Starfruit Wine to iridium, 48 days (2,250 g -> 4,500 g, 2,250 g profit): 46.9 g / day
      Add +40 % to all if you have Artisan. Starting with gold quality Cheese yields similar daily profits, only the processing time is cut into half.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Your numbers are valid, but not relevant to the discussion. What we need to concern ourselves with is not profit per day, but sustainable profit, which isn't quite the same thing.

Standard starfruit wine to iridium, for example, takes almost two full seasons to fully mature. And also remember that Casks are a VERY strictly limited resource, you can only have around 120ish or so in your cellar. Period. The end. That's it. Sure, if you could put them in sheds or something, aging wine makes sense. But unfortunately... you have to take into consideration that you will only be able to cask a tiny fraction of that wine that you would be producing. However, you could probably age every single bit of cheese that came out of the presses, for a more consistent and steady income supply, rather than relying on waiting a half a year for an income spike.

• Akanaro

Akanaro Great Scott!

Barns and coops actually have a much larger footprint than just their listed sizes. You have to feed all them animals and for that you need grass which you need to use valuable tiles for which brings the profit per square even lower than you might think. The animal system needs to be re-designed from the ground up if it ever wishes to compete with crops instead of CA just nerfing crops. I doubt that will happen though so either we'll see more price changes in future or animals will just remain something to keep us busy in the winters.

• Zephyros500

Zephyros500 Space Spelunker

I don't have any numbers, but can start calculating and tabulating them if it would be preferable over my anecdotal experience.

I selected the Riverlands farm, hoping for a kind of "hard mode challenge". Decided to go full Rancher, for the extra difficulty, and stupidly selected the Shepherd perk. Yeah, hard mode ALL up in here.

The current setup?

1 coop with: 3 ducks, 1 dino, 2 void chickens, 6 chickns.
            1 coop with: 4 rabbits
            1 barn with: 3 sheep, 4 goats, 3 pigs
            1 barn with: 9 cows

Barns aren't maxed out to leave room for pregnancy. I should probably max (-1) them out, though.

The results?

1) I bring in roughly ~10k a day.
            2) I spent ALL morning well int the afternoon on tasks running around the farm. factor in the time investment to keep track of aged crops in the house and more than half the day is spent running around making animals happy and milking them.
            3) Hay is a HUGE problem. Grass is a huge problem. I am trying to set up a system of grass with fences over them to create infinite grass spawning zones, and rotating the areas the animal can graze with gates, but that just makes the time investment so much longer. Most of the day is spent on upkeep (ending on average at about 1PM, before 12 with coffee)
            4) Sheep seem to produce wool twice a week on average, but I don't have any hard numbers on that. Pigs seem to find truffles at a highly variable rate as well. Some days I get 0, others I've seen 6 or 7. I can find no pattern here. Truffles also spawn over water (or off the screen), and three separate times now I haven't been able to pick up the truffle that was found. So annoying.
            5) Rabbits are stupid. A coop full of 4 rabbits for over 3 seasons, and I've seen only 3 rabbit's feet, and most days there is only ONE PIECE OF WOOL in the coop. I don't actually understand how this is at all viable. I will be getting a 12coop full eventually, but I've been so demoralized by the performance of the 4. Also, wool is in general (above silver) better to sell straight up, and that is very inefficient.

tl;dr
            All your time will be spent upkeeping the animals and although you can make a regular amount of income per day, it is exhausting and a huge time investment. More than just being financially inefficient, I think it's a huge waste of time. It is fun in a sick kind of way to make to make it work but only because I am actually a masochist.

Don't pick Riverlands farm for any reason beyond the fact that it looks pretty.

P.S. having cow and rabbit islands is funny to look at?

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Livestock just doesn't compete to running a brewery with the artisan perk. My farm produces 56 pale ales a day at 420g each for 23,520 profit each day. That's without aging any of it. The number of animals I'd have to have to even come close to that would keep me busy for the entire day instead of the 2 hours my brewery takes. In short, there's more improvements to be made to make rancher viable.

My suggestion (and a simple one) would be to make the quality of animal product carry on into the finished product. If my cows produce iridium quality milk (and they do occasionally) then the cheese produced from it should be iridium, not regular quality. Silver or gold quality wool should turn into silver or gold quality cloth. No idea why this wasn't done to begin with. As for the size of milk determining quality, make then turn into small and large cheeses respectively and keep the quality level for those as well. Truffles are an odd case right now where an iridium quality truffle barely comes in under truffle oil for sale price.

Right now, with milk and eggs now having differing quality levels, turning a gold star large milk into cheese only increases the value by 15g. Turning an iridium star large milk into gold star cheese decreases it's value. Adding in the rancher profession bonus can actually make it lose more value. Just, why?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
                ChaosAzeroth likes this.
              • Pawndawan

Pawndawan Aquatic Astronaut

Yeah. You can fit 125 Casks into cellar.

I would just rather visit my cellar two times per year to age Starfruit Wine and take 2 x 125 x 2,250 g = 562,500 gold profit / year. By the time I have cellar up and running, I'm not really interested in steady but smaller profits, especially since I can't age all my wine anyways and sell most of the stuff without aging each week.

Let's say Cows and Cheese is the way to go instead of Goats, if you want to take that route. If your Cows would only give standard Milks and thus standard Cheese, you would have to produce 1,000 Cheese every year to keep your Cask business going. That would equal ~9 cows.

If your Cows would give Large Milks ~50 % of the time you would need ~1,500 Cheese / year to keep your Cask business fully operational. That's ~14 Cows or two Big Barns + grazing areas.

Regardless of the ratio of Gold Cheese / standard Cheese, you're looking at (8 x 125 x 200 g with all standard Cheese OR 16 x 125 x 100 g with all gold Cheese, take your pick) 200,000 gold profit / year by aging exclusively Cheese in your Casks. Sure, the part of the profits trickle down every week or two, but that also means more work with your Casks and animals.

tl;dr: Aging wine is more profitable and requires less upkeep and farm land area than aging Cheese. Just like in real life, animal products is an inefficient way to do things.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

That's no excuse for leaving an entire character path broken. There needs to be a balance of some kind between the different professions. Why does Artisan give a better bonus to cheese prices than Rancher? Now that differing qualities have been added to milks, there are times when the Rancher profession would be stupid to turn milk into cheese. For instance an iridium quality large milk sells for 456g with the Rancher profession and only 400g by turning it into iridium cheese since the Rancher profession does not affect the sell price of cheese at all. Even a gold star large milk only nets an additional 58g turned into iridium cheese with the Rancher profession. Having cheese classified as an Artisan Good instead of an Animal Product completely screws Ranchers and over-benefits Artisans when they don't need it.

The two different high tier professions need to be comparatively viable. They're not.

• Declension

Declension Cosmic Narwhal

I think the problem would be remedied if 'ranching' was a separate skill. And with that probably at level 10 of the skill the 40% animal artisan goods could be attached. So there is two different artisan lines, you know?

• Akanaro

Akanaro Great Scott!

As I have stated elsewhere, the Rancher path was suppose to include butchery which never happened for whatever reason. The end result is that Rancher is left without its top tier produce and a hack job was made to try and include the half finished profession in the game. The only way this will ever be balanced is if Rancher gets its own unique product line with equal profit boosts at level 10. Heck, you could improve the balance 10 fold by just switching cheese and mayonnaise from Artisan to Rancher with the same 40% profit boost. But the problem does not only lie in the profitability but also in the effort required for Rancher. Tiller/Artisan gets sprinklers to automate watering and (if you want them) Junimos for automated harvesting. So Rancher needs an automated milking machine and egg collection method. And for the love of Yoba get rid of the inane clicking on animals to keep them happy setup. I live on a farm and I can tell you that the animals don't give a rats ass whether you pat them every day or not. All they care about is food and water.

likwid and nevyn21 like this.
                      • nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

After researching for a few days I think there may be some hope that the Shepherd profession can at least come close to competing with Artisan. Since cows and chickens are not as profitable without Artisan, I'm going to focus entirely on sheep. There's a few things going on with it that needs testing. Namely just how often you can shear your sheep with Shepherd. One thing to keep in mind is that any wool with silver or above quality is *not* worth turning into cloth since with the Rancher bonus you will make more profit off of the wool. I figure I'll need at least 36 sheep to even come close to my numbers with just running a brewery. I'll track it for a while and post my profits. Good thing I still have my Shepherd playthrough.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Update: Things are starting to look promising. I have 4 barns up and running and some 38 sheep producing so far. Max heart sheep seem to produce wool every 1-2 days and a lot of it is gold or iridium quality. So far I'm seeing profits of 9-12k a day with more sheep coming up to maturity. The work-load of shearing and petting is only a few game-hours a day.

I have also found something interesting that may be a bug. The Rancher perk is affecting the sale price of cloth. One cloth sells for 564g which is the 470g base multiplied by the 20% bonus exactly. This means normal quality and silver quality wool net a base 564 per day turned into cloth, while gold and iridium wool sells for more with no work required.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

My profits are slowly coming up. Applying a little math to my 48 sheep yields the following results:

48 sheep X Cloth(564g) = 27,072g min profit/ 2days = 13,536g/d minimum
                            48 sheep x Iridium Wool(816g) = 39,168g max profit/2days = 19,584 g/d maximum

Median profit = 13,536 <-> 19,584 = 16,560g/d.

Not too shabby. With fully mature sheep at 1 year or older I'm finding the daily profits to be above the median. Taking care of 4 barns worth of animals is ~2 hours daily. I've come up with a system to make sure I keep them all happy. Pet the ones who didn't produce that day first, then pet and shear the ones that did. Helps cut down on time and mistakes somewhat. As a side note; I've had to turn down the "Sounds" volume. That many sheep make a lot of noise and my wife was close to strangling me.

The price of barns is somewhat of a hurdle, but there's nothing keeping me from doubling the amount of barns I have. I have however completely denuded the entire valley and kept it that way. Using the default farm is highly recommended due to space constraints on the other maps.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
                            • Akanaro

Akanaro Great Scott!

I admire your tenacity but I'm far too lazy to go through all that trouble. My greenhouse alone makes 14K a day with Starfruit wine and I only have to bother filling kegs once a week and harvest twice per season. Imagine what a full scale winery will produce. If I wasn't so lazy I'd probably go for Pale Ale. :p

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

I still have an operational brewery running on that farm that produces 16k a day as well, even without the Artisan perk. Gotta do something with my cellar and greenhouse. Altogether, the work finishes by noon most days which isn't terrible. My goal was to see if I could get Rancher to be a profitable endgame. I'd say that's a definite yes, at least as far as Shepherd goes.

• Elysiia

Elysiia Aquatic Astronaut

I really wish some love was added to the Rancher profession so having an animal farm could be viable (and not just sheep).
                                  Personally I tend to think "screw max profit per day" and have animals just because I enjoy having them around, while making money via the Artisan profession. I find there aren't enough money sinks in the game once you get a good profit per day going so I gladly give up some cash so I can have a nicer farm with adorable animals. It is great to see you trying to make Rancher viable, I might have to try a sheep farm at some point now, maybe on the Wilderness layout!

• Akanaro

Akanaro Great Scott!

You know, petting and all the other issues aside I just realized something. The comparison between Rancher and Artisan have so far appeared to be on the premise that ALL crops end up as Artisan goods. The reality is more along the lines of the bulk of crops gets sold straight up and a small portion of it gets casked. What does this have to do with anything? Well Artisans typically won't have many animals so the 20% increase you get from Rancher appears trivial. However, if you consider the volume of animal artisan products like mayonnaise and cheese that the typical Artisan ends up producing versus what a Rancher farm would produce things get interesting.

So for a more accurate comparison one might want to determine exactly what percentage of crops the typical Artisan ends up kegging vs the percentage of animal products a Rancher would end up turning into Artisan goods. I'm not saying it's a perfect balance but that 20% boost for Rancher might actually spread over a higher volume than the 40% increase on Artisan goods.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Don't forget that Tiller is a prerequisite for Artisan and that gives crop a 10% boost. But yes, Rancher is obtained far earlier than Artisan so the 20% applies for more of the early game.

• Akanaro

Akanaro Great Scott!

True, so let's say 50% boost on a small number of crops, 10% on the bulk of your crops and for Rancher 20% increase in everything animal related, whether you turn it into artisan goods or not. So basically Rancher gives you a 20% boost on 100% of whatever your animals produce whereas Artisan will be 50% on say 30% of your total crop yields and 10% on the rest. So more animals will mean more profit but there's also the randomness of animal products to keep in mind. The few cows and chickens I normally keep seem to skip a day or sometimes even a few days. But let's say you get an average of 75% yields from animals of which a 100% is boosted by 20% you'd still end up with a bigger volume boost than Rancher. So that 20% might not be so bad after all if it wasn't for the amount of effort involved.

Of course we're not talking mega winery's here but more from the average play though point of view. Also note, I'm just guessing as I've never bothered with Rancher but I just figured the volume of stuff that is 'refined' could be where the balance would come in.

• Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

The problem still stays the same - to make easy profit you need way less land for the same amount if you go for artisan products.

For simplicity ill use an example that is easy to compare as it grows 3/4 of the year (and because im a lazy bum and like to do as less work as possible):
                                          A barn on the standard farm uses up 28 slots that could be used for plants. Now let's substract the amount of I-sprinklers you need for 28 slots then you still get 26.83 plants on the same space.
                                          26.83 plants can produce you: If used Deluxe Speed grow: 10 harvests of Ancient fruit in a year or: 26.83x6,050g/28= 5,797g/slot/year or 51.76g/day/slot
                                          If you make all of that into wine (with Artisan boost) you get: 26.83x23100g/28= 22,134.75g/slot/year or 197.63/slot/day for a total of 619.773g

Just for reasons sake, let's say you age the maximum of that. Which would mean of the 268.3 Wine you produced in the year you can age 250.
                                          We would end up with 18.3x2,310g/28+250x4,620g/28 = 1,509.75g + 41,250g = 42,729.75g/slot/year or 381.78g/slot/day for a total of 1.196.433g/year

And for all of that you would only need 27 Kegs to keep up. If you build a barn you can fit in 135 kegs in a single one, which is a 482% space increase compared to if you use the barrels outside, probably even more if you consider how you could not reach all if you place them 4x7. So for your 27 kegs you need in reality only 5.57 slots on your farm. (which in reality is less because those crops wouldn't produce in winter)

Even if we add that to the other calculation we still get: 18.3x2,310g/33.57+250x4,620g/33.57=1,259.25+34,405.72=35,664.97g/slot/year or 318.41g/slot/day

If we would fill the barn with only sheep. I.e. 12 sheep which can be sheared twice per week yielding a maximum of an Iridium Wool that sells for 816g each with the rancher profession
                                          We get: 12x32x816g/28 = 11,190.85g/slot/year or 99.92g/slot/day
                                          Hey now, that isn't that bad. But consider if you're going for this you'll need more then one silo. 1,4 to be exact to feed your animals over the winter without having to buy any fodder. As a Silo is 9 slots an additional 1.4x9=12,6slots is necessary to keep them fed.

Which lowers your yearly produce down to: 12x32x816/40.6=7,717.83g/slot/year or 68.91g/slot/day.

Now that's starting to look pretty bleak... If you consider that you need a HUUUGE area of grass (+grass starters every spring to get those pastures going) to keep your animals fed....
                                          So, lets see what happens when we go with milk - Large Iridium Milk is 456g the unit. Iridium Cheese is 560g the unit. You can milk every day if you're lucky and you should be able to age all cheese to Iridium if you only have one barn:

The same again, but this time ill calculate the fodder in as well: 12x112x456/40.6=15.095/slot/year or 134.78/slot/day
                                          Those numbers only apply if you get a Large Iridium Milk Every Single time.

For the aged cheese - if you make all the milk you get into aged cheese you'll end up with:
                                          12x112x560/40.6 = 18,537.91g/slot/year or 165.52g/slot/day

Oh hey a wall of text, now the quick comparison so you dont need to read all of it if you're lazy, like me *cough*
                                          Some examples on 28 slots, the size of a Barn. All values per single slot:
                                          Ancient Fruit = 51.76g/day
                                          Ancient Fruit Wine normal Quality = 197.63g/day
                                          Ancient Fruit Wine max Ageing capacity = 381.78g/day - slot-cleaned: 318.41g/day
                                          Iridium Wool = 68.91g/slot/day
                                          L. Iridium Milk = 134.78g/day
                                          Iridium Cheese = 165.52g/day

So.... to bring this to an end: Even if you age all the cheese you get from one barn full of cows, you'll still make less money then only making Ancient Fruit wine from the same size of land. If you age the maximum you get outperformed by double the amount. Wool is pretty, pretty bad. Only selling the Ancient Fruit would be worse, but considering that quality is not taken in consideration for the fruit, it might be better.

The amount of work differs as well. A barn needs daily attention, a crop field with sprinklers doesn't. Wine only needs to be made once per week and casks only be checked every second season.

Nyways Food time... and then back to play

('-')/

P.S.:

Those examples are only for 28 slots and only for Ancient Fruit, which is not the best crop to make wine out of. In reality you need 35 slots for a barn, or you won't be able to access the building. Consider a 25% increase on the g/day of the Ancient Fruit and the Wine and you outperform animals way too easy. 48 plants need 2 Iridium Sprinklers, so 50 slots. With that you can produce an easy 480 Wine, which makes 1.108.800g/year or 22.176g/slot/year or 198g/slot/day. And you don't even need half of a barn full of kegs to keep up. So if you use a single barn full of kegs you can produce 2160 Wine per year, Which means you only need to plant 216 Ancient Fruit OUTSIDE to make 4.989.600g/year.
                                          Or to sum it up: 9 Iridium Sprinklers and a Barn full of kegs.