The new and improved Greenhouse setup!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShneekeyTheLost, Oct 11, 2016.

1. DarkOmegaMK2

DarkOmegaMK2 Pangalactic Porcupine

While i do believe in the numbers you are presenting, as a personal preference, i'd rather not plant fruit trees inside my green house.

Is it ok to plant hops and ancient fruit in between or is there still a better choice than ancient fruit as a "filler" crop?

• Kickz

Kickz Space Penguin Leader

Ancient fruit is still probably best filler crop. The thread only shows optimal use of the green house. How you organize it yourself has always been up to you, so whatever you decide to do will usually be "ok" as long as you're satisfied. You can still technically do full ancient wine if you want to be lazy and only tend to it once every week. It really depends on how much money you actually need.

ShneekeyTheLost likes this.
      • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

It is very possible. If you do a two-for-three instead of a one-for-two pattern on the edge, you might get an extra couple. I don't think it could get up to 75, but maybe it could. That would mean 29 filler.

Also, we're now getting to the point where 120 aging casks is going to be sufficient to age all of your filler, if you use Ancient or Star Fruit.

With 30, to use an even number, cranking out 30 a week, or 120 per season. If you have 120 casks... that should just about do it, you can age your filler, and sell the rest.

• metalax

metalax Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've managed a design that hits 76 Hops while remaining fully walkable, here. You can get another three Hops in beyond that, for a total of 79, if you are willing to lift and replace three of the sprinklers each time you harvest.

• Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

The trees only need 8 spaces around them which are clear, right? So you could do a system and put them way closer together - like this here

Or is my brain totally going bonkers?

It should work like that, shouldnt it? b/c every tree would have a 3x3 surrounding area that is free - i tried finding placed fruit trees in all my saves but i always just used them for farm cosmetic and cant even confirm that myself ><

x-x *welps*

• metalax

metalax Subatomic Cosmonaut

Unfortunately, fruit trees have an inbuilt limitation that they can't be planted in a closer interval than a 2 tile spacing. This is as opposed to normal trees that can be planted right next to each other but will only grow to maturity with a 1 tile separation between mature trees.

• Magistrella

Magistrella Big Damn Hero

That explains that then - my brain just cleared up, ty xD

• Skip Sandwich

Skip Sandwich Void-Bound Voyager

This inspires me to revisit an idea to design a farm that occupies the absolute minimum of usable outdoor space. 30 Fruit Trees + 72 Hops plants all feed into exactly 6 sheds worth of kegs (59 per shed x 6 sheds = 354kegs)

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

This is as far as I got on this thread on my 1st attempt. I had to manage to stop laughing like a fool before I could proceed with the reading. x'D

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Ahahahaha, same. :rofl:

I normally don't read the number crunching posts, but I was trying to find the best way to organize the greenhouse.

This was very useful, though.

Honestly, a good plan for how to do this setup is to do the 60 preserve jars AT FIRST, while you build up your kegs for the hops. Once you've got enough for the hops, THEN you can start fleshing out the kegs for the fruit trees.

The plus side of this, is if you have crops OUTSIDE of the greenhouse, then you can start using the preserve jars to process those instead, so it's not necessarily a LOSS.

I'm totally ripping up my fruit trees outside after this year is over, though (only leaving them in right now because I need the fruits for bundles, heh). :rofl:

EDIT: I should also note that I SHOULD be able to squeeze in 30 fruit trees, 80 trellises, and 24 crops myself...because I've modified my crops to be harvestable with my scythe (just to speed it up a little, heh...really frustrating to run around and click on all the crops when you start to get a large number of them, imo :rofl:). This lets me add a few trellises since the range of the scythe will still allow me to harvest them.

Of course, if one does this...they shouldn't do it until AFTER they reach level 10 farming, since cutting with a scythe doesn't actually give farming experience. =x

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
                      • Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

First time looking through this, but I suspected as much with hops, already a good money maker pre 1.1, now the #1 crop (if you have the kegs).
                        It's such a challenge getting enough kegs now though. It's like my #1 activity besides planting and harvesting.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Well, since we don't need clay for kegs now, it's just the oak resin, wood, copper and iron. Get yourself 10-20 oak trees growing with tappers, and you'll have plenty of oak resin coming in. Keeping up with the copper and iron demands is going to certainly be a bit of a challenge, doing level 30 and level 50 dives can really help with this. Or you can buy them from Clint once the money starts to flow. Honestly, considering how many thousands of wood you will need, you're probably ending up purchasing a bulk of it from Robin anyway.

• Caudyr

Caudyr Black Hole Surfer

Heh, yeah, I've got the lower left corner set aside to grow a bunch of trees I can tap. The trees I currently have growing (in my playthrough that is) are 6 Pines, 30 Oak, and 30 Maple. Once I get enough Oak Resin and a decent stockpile of Pine Tar (just in case, heh), I'll probably switch those out to maple and just have a Maple Syrup factory going.

It's still going to take some time, but it's a lot faster than you'd think if you mass tap things like that. Might even do another section full of Oak Trees for resin, as well.

• nash579

nash579 Astral Cartographer

if you want to start before your trees are all fully grown you can also put up 5-6 oak tappers in the southwest area of the forest, near the springonions.
                              Boosted me quite a bit, while I was waiting for my trees.

Caudyr likes this.
                              • serert

serert Void-Bound Voyager

*Sigh* What necro I am.

Anyway, if you filled every space in the greenhouse used by crops/trees in this scenario, which total 132, as well as every space you'd need for kegs to support said crops, which total at 384, with diamond-replicating crystalaria, you would gross almost 3,000,000 per season, beating the pants and underpants off of every weak, inferior biological crop. Oh, with gemologist that is; w/out, diamonds are still better. Best of all, you don't have to harvest them every single day lol.

You'd need to be able to blitz the skull cavern hardcore, which is easy if you know what to bring, and you'd be buying a ton of stone, so you'd want a something in your greenhouse while you financed that, but yeah: the ultimate greenhouse, heh

• ShneekeyTheLost

You also wouldn't be able to REACH them all either, making your point moot. Plus, let's do some basic math, eh?

Crystallariums produce one diamond per five days. A diamond, assuming Gemologist, sells for 975g. This is roughly 195g/d

195*28(days per season) = 5,460g/season * 384 = 2,096,640g/s

You're off by a third in your calculations. That's a pretty significant margin of error.

Now then,

Hops, as we discovered earlier, have 420g/d profit, somewhere between twice and almost three TIMES your output per square.
                                  Fruit Trees, as we also discovered, have 588g/d, over FOUR times your output per square
                                  Ancient Fruit yields 2310/week or 330g/d, roughly one and a half times your output per square.

In all cases, my 'weak inferior biological crop' beats the pants off of your crystals on a per-square yield. You might squeeze a few of your diamond generators here and there, but under no circumstances would it be remotely profitable to replace any currently existing crop with one.

But hey, thanks for trying. And, yanno, having a very confrontational tone of voice while being fundamentally wrong in both your assessment of monthly yield and performance as compared to crops. Next time, do the math :nuruwink:

• serert

Pardon me...but do kegs take up space? How many kegs does each hops plant require? How many kegs to each tree? Take that number, add one for the plant, and divide it into your profits per day listed above. Any above 195? Ancient fruit actually ends up closest, I'm guessing, so I guess it's still the best plant after all.

You are totally right about reaching all of those crystallaria, though. I guess I'd use your system of having ancient fruit planted throughout the pathways to powergame to the max or whatever. I'll admit that I've never put this into practice lol.

Golly, I didn't mean to offend. This is just about minmaxing, a passionate matter for me.

Edit: Also, you would have more than 384 crystallaria, you'd have however many you could accessibly cram into the greenhouse (no clue) plus the spaces that are used by kegs in your setup, the combination of which I'm guessing totals over five hundred spaces, each of which would be filled by a crystallarium instead.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
                                    • ShneekeyTheLost

Kegs don't have to be in the greenhouse, you can have them anywhere. I'm just pointing out that the greenhouse is the LAST place you'd want to put crystallariums, because you're going to be loosing enormous profits.

Also, FYI, Hops takes 2 days to produce Ale for 420, which means 210 daily profit, which is, in fact, more than Crystallariums. Which is WHY Hops is my secondary crop (behind fruit trees, which are the single most profitable thing you can do with your greenhouse).

If you want your crystallariums, you can go ahead. But I'll just go with kegs instead and produce more cash per season.

Also, the magic numbers for kegs, mind you this is only for your Greenhouse production, are as follows:

30 fruit trees. Requires 7 kegs each = 210 kegs. The largest sink for kegs. If you want to settle for Preserves, you'd need a mere 60 preserves jars, and preserves take 2 days to produce 461. That, by the way, comes out to a daily profit of 230.5, also more than your crystallariums. Kegs take longer, but produce higher profit margins.

74 Hops = 148 kegs to brew into Pale Ale.

30 Ancient Fruit = 30 more kegs

Total number of kegs: 178 if you are using preserves jars for your fruit trees, or 388 kegs total if you go for max profits.

Your fallacy is that you are conflating per day per machine profits with total seasonal profits, which is going to skew numbers in favor of the shorter-duration materials such as the Pale Ale or the Preserves. You can always build more sheds to build more kegs for far longer than it would take to keep your greenhouse in brewed beverages.

• serert

Ok, let's have a really simple example for me, then: you have a greenhouse with one hops plant and one crystallarium inside. Outside the greenhouse, you have the two kegs required to process hops into pale ale for the one plant, and two more crystallariums. Each system uses three spaces. Will you you make more money with pale ales or with diamonds?

What I'm subtly suggesting is: no matter what or where, crystallariums make more money. Yes, this goes for the trees too.

• ShneekeyTheLost

You seem to be putting a premium on space which simply does not exist in any practical game. Especially with the Cellar being completely worthless for its intended purpose, since there isn't enough room in that postage stamp to age more than a tiny fraction of your output, you can just fill it full of kegs instead.

You don't even need to keep your kegs on your farm. Your room to expand approaches arbitrary for all intents and purposes, considering you will hit time constraints LONG before you hit the limitations of where you can place things.

In the meantime, I am absolutely crushing your monthly income, and doing it far sooner. It's a cute idea, but it just doesn't pan out in any realistic scenario. By middle of year two, I'm bringing down over 2m/season. That's *JUST* from the greenhouse, nevermind any other crops I want.

Meanwhile, you're needing 2 iridium, 5 gold bars, and a battery pack per crystallarium you are trying to craft. You aren't getting Iridium before the skull caves, and you're going to need to invest a few hundred thousand in stone to make stairs if you want to cheese that. I'll even grant you can flat purchase your gold from Clint, although at a usurious rate. Your limiting factor will be the number of lightning rods you can get up and running. With your focus on mining, I doubt you could even GET any in the first year, which means you can't even BEGIN your strat until year 2, by which time I'm already banking millions.

Face it, what you are subtly suggesting is simply untrue.

This is a guide about optimizing the greenhouse. And you can get FAR more money out of your greenhouse using wine and ale than you can using diamonds. By a significant margin.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017