1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Moogles of Ivalice α-1.2

The adorable little furballs from Final Fantasy are here!

1. Khioni

Khioni Pangalactic Porcupine

The Avali (and my Ivalice Moogles) have 4-tall models for a reason, even though they're stated to be diminutive.
    (At tallest, 3 feet for Avali on their wiki, while Ivalice Moogles are 2'7" ~ 3'11" according to the FF wiki).

Compatibility- Avali can technically wear most helmets/hats, while Moogles can wear pretty much any vanilla clothing item, but not recommended to give Moogles backitems as they already have the wings built-in.

If we were to try to make the model smaller, it'd mean either killing the expressions, making them end up giving everyone soulless stares or having an awkward crouch frame, not to mention floating helmets (Agh, floating mecha helmets!)

The best I can do is continue fluffing the Moogles until I'm happy with the design, and maybe redo the wings at some point.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  2. Khioni

tl;dr The mini-Moogle project has grinded to a screeching halt.

I can't make 'em have expressions AND an actual crouch animation that doesn't look awkward, and there's the floating parts issue.

What I CAN do, however is replace the hairstyles with Montblanc, Hurdy and Sorbet's hairstyles available for boys, and Gurdy's hairstyle for girls, in addition to the null hair that already is present but will be just one file so we can easily add more hairstyles without eventually hitting the ones that were already null hair.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  3. Khioni

upload_2018-2-15_16-25-12.png
    How's that for an updated head sprite?
    (Colors will still change ingame as usual; they're just recolored to the silver fur here)

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  4. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Eh, looks fine t' me.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  5. Khioni

upload_2018-2-15_17-4-7.png
    This shading better for the wings?
    (A pixel longer when spread out, too.)

Edit: Voted out.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    Waffle-Chan likes this.
  6. voiditect

... I like the old one more in this case.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  7. Khioni

upload_2018-2-15_17-42-6.png

Same as old sprites, but with the new shading adjustments, and to a lesser degree when compared to those.

Trying to go for a halfway balance here.

These better, or you still want the ones that are currently present to stay?

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  8. voiditect

Honestly, the sprites are so small I can't really notice a shading difference. Admittedly, I guess they look fine. I'm leaving it up to you here.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  9. Khioni

trying to make Montblanc, Hurdy, Sorbet and Gurdy's hairstyles, while we're at it.
    While we're at it, I'm trying to get those placeholder copy/pastes of the hume haircuts outta here.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  10. voiditect

Very good. Those did not fit at all.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  11. Khioni

Ach, trying so hard...
    Hair isn't my forte.
    Especially when I have to avoid clipping stuff. *cough* the pom-pom *cough*

If only the modding team was bigger than just "Big Boss" (Me) and [Weapon] Sprite Assistance (Waffle), so we could get things done way faster (and more efficiently)...
    upload_2018-2-15_18-33-2.png

I DID fix it so the null haircut uses its own file instead of being mixed in with the "maleX" and "femX". This may glitch existing files to complain about a missing asset, or eventually (IF we get tons of custom Moogle hairstyles) even spontaneously growing that hairstyle out when they were fur-only before. I say you're gonna want to save edit, or just make a new file.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  12. voiditect

If I had any spriting or modding experience whatsoever, I'd be happy to help as something other than an idea consultant. But I don't so that's a bit of a problem.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  13. Khioni

It's never too late to start learning how to mod, or even simply spriting.

The bigger the team gets, the better as we can all do things for the mod, instead of it (most of the time) being the one-man/Moogle army that is me.
    And I'm not about to throw in the towel on the entire mod anytime soon.

Worth noting that Starbound has very specific code to colorswap the hair/fur colors, so you gotta work within 3 colors for hair and body/body2

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  14. Khioni

15. Khioni

OK, got it. So I'll be basing the hairstyles off the ingame sprites, but the limited color pallet means I pretty much have to flatten the colors down.
    Catch is there's no such sprites for Sorbet or Gurdy as they're never playable (or even make a worldmap appearance), so those have to be made the hard way.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  16. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

Looks like you need my help...

17. Khioni

Yeah; such fine details like hair are my Achille's Heel.

I already had quite the pain with trying to get the ear fluff to look right, and it's either an ear style option a la Viera mod, or accent color (wings/pom-pom), and I'm going with accent color.

18. Waffle-Chan

Waffle-Chan Guest

I recommend that you make the Pom Pom part of the hair instead of the head

19. Khioni

Frankly, I don't see the reason to separate the pom-pom from the base head sprites.
    Care to elaborate on why I should do it?

At the moment, all I feel like is that it'd become irritating to make more hairstyles, as I already exploit multi-layering to make it so the hair doesn't clip the pom-pom or ears too much. I already setup the pom-pom on the head sprites.

All pom-poms are the same length, same case with the wings. Unless I find a way to make the "backwards pom-pom" not look bad/weird, I don't see multiple positions for the pom-pom by that lifehack happening.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  20. Khioni

upload_2018-2-16_18-0-33.png
    • Adjusted the ear fluff yet again.
      • Tried to go for a "frayed ends" style here, but not darkening the tip like Montblanc's.
        • if only we could have both accent color and sprite overlays at the same time. Then we could have ear/pom-pom style AND wing/pom-pom color.