Dev Blog The Mightiest Warrior

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 30, 2016.

1. (cross-posted from Armagon's post)
    ---

Hey guys! It's been a while!

In conjunction with our expansion of the quest system and the outpost, we're taking advantage of new functionality to add some fleshed out instance quests. Once you've acquired one of these quests, an NPC may take you directly to the location at your behest. Once you're there, whether or not you succeed in your task is entirely up to you.

One such quest line comes courtesy of our resident wiki machine, Katzeus, who has built a gladiatorial arena! This series of combat trials will become available as you progress deeper into the game, with each challenge being more deadly than the last. Today I've been spending some time helping to improve and balance these trials and they're getting to a pretty good place, so I'm looking forward to seeing what people think of them!

[​IMG]

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Ah yes, these. They're good.

3. Oh man, this sounds fun!

[​IMG]

Can't wait for the next patch.

4. SwiftMustache

SwiftMustache Void-Bound Voyager

Oh man, you got me all excited now.

5. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

OH MY YES!
    but the Big and most importand qusetion of all can we have pvp battles there too?.
    hope that not all of the qusets are a part of the main story but rather a very awesome side quset line so we wont be focresed do dem all if you don't want to

also i hope there would be a audience(not just florans) and a crazy arena annoucer

also hope there will be a sci fi racthet and clank like apex arena too with ailens and robots and mutants
    also hope that if it come that too that there will be a energy refiller there like in most sci fi arena games if you know what i'm talking about

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  6. BelikrDscale

BelikrDscale Subatomic Cosmonaut

I am excited already <333 would be cool if you could build a arena in you colony and face challengers there too

Vuldreg and GamingTheGoodLife like this.
  7. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

ooo... more instance quests. That is good, probably fail a few, but I'm sure I'll manage. Can win them all right? But I can sure attempt it. :nurutease:

lemon flavoured and jakecool19 like this.
  8. ImDaMisterL

ImDaMisterL Void-Bound Voyager

Ooh, this sounds awesome!! :D

9. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

I haven't touched the nightly since before that convention you guys went to, but here's hoping they're better/more numerous soon! The first and only three that were there were kind of lackluster and easy. Here's hoping they're getting a well-deserved boost in design and difficulty.

That said, for those who don't play the nightly;
    You get a powerful sword that, when you right click, it has a flamethrower. A flamethrower broadsword that you can aim.

This thing is silly strong, hence my disdain for the lack of challenge in getting it from when I last played. Hell, the lunar mission was harder, and we all know how simple that is!

I love the idea of a gladiator arena, since it skips the BS of "go here, go there, press a button, jump here" and gets right to the point; kill or be killed. That's a more manly way to go about things.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  10. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

As long as I'm not helping any more poor couples bake pies for eachother, I'm happy.

Cazador6000 and Gilligan Lanley like this.
  11. jacoblouis

jacoblouis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am super pumped for this! Cant wait for the full launch :D Im holding back on playing until 1.0 is out

Brekke K'ktus likes this.
  12. LittleWasp

LittleWasp Big Damn Hero

The background seating & doorways looked really nice! Gives the nice illusion of a circular space.

13. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Sorry, but if CF is going to beat the hype, I don't expect 1.0 until next fall at the earliest... And I want to see it at least meet expectations and blossom in the market...
    (No offense chucklefish, but as great as your game is, you have a lot of work to do to get noticed again... Do us all a favor and prove those naysayers that you haven't been squandering your money... Do us proud. You've got this!)

14. emeraldgreen72

emeraldgreen72 Phantasmal Quasar

OMG that one guy looks like ultraman.....OMG THERE IN A GLADIATOR AREA :nuruhype::nuruhype::nuruhype::nuruhype:

i just hope my character does not get wiped when this update comes out :nuruneutral: cause it did with the combat update

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2016
  15. Yarott

Yarott Phantasmal Quasar

To someone like a Human or an Apex, they'd see a battle of the fittest and dominance. But to a Floran, they'd see an All-You-Can-Stab Buffet.

16. VorpalDoom

VorpalDoom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"Wishing you were here already" To: StarBound Cheerful Giraffe

Brekke K'ktus and DragonsForce like this.
  17. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Does the balance include enemies taking damage from the spikes like we do?

18. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

This mission can also be an example for a nice pvp plays with friends or in multiplayer . Nice work on this one, Chucklefish! [​IMG]

Also,maybe adding some special creatures too for more challenge and fun!

19. xan713

xan713 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Chucklefish, this sounds like it's going in a good direction. I'd definitely play this. In fact, there's a suggestion that feels like it fits so well into the game, that it could go alongside this combat arena of sorts.

If there's one thing that is missing from this game right now, it is bounty hunting. The mechanics required are already in the game now, and I'd hope it'd be something that gets added at a later date. In my opinion, the combat update would really be enhanced if something like bounty hunting was added to accentuate how good and fun the combat is now (In my opinion).

It got me thinking, what if Starbound had bounty hunting? Bounty Hunting is present in many games, including Monster Hunter, Witcher 3, Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, and many more. How would it play out in Starbound? What would you do? How would it work?

Since there are dynamic quests, random unique monsters, procedurally generated galaxy map, and many other things, I reckon bounty hunting would fit, as an addition to the core game. Who else would agree? I'm just looking for a general discussion on peoples thoughts..

I'll start off with painting a little picture for people so it can be comprehended as to how it can be adapted.

In Master of Orion 2 (1996), the presence of sentient species spread across the galaxy, much like Starbound, meant you were never truly alone - Starbound does this similarly, but it's far more random than Master of Orion 2. This is about as far as the parallel runs with both games, but there's a way that Starbound can take notes from Master of Orion 2's (MOO2) book of excellence.

So, where I'm going with this whole thing is 'to do with 'Galaxy Placement' - special customized bosses that get placed in certain star systems across the Starbound universe. The photo below shows the idea of galaxy placement when you start a game, in Master of Orion 2 (MOO2).

[​IMG]
    In picture: Different sentient species populated and colonized different star systems in MOO2. Each circled area notes a different species.

Now, before you may go thinking "Hold on, what does this have to do with Starbound", this is only to explore the idea of adding a library of custom bosses which get placed in the Starbound map at random, offering more to the core game. This doesn't impact the story, or halt progression of the game, as it'd be entirely optional. I explain this further..

Ifa large number of customized bosses and their minions are programmed into the game, and their goal is to be randomly placed to inhabit (at random) a star system in Starbound's near infinite galactical expanse, this could make for some interesting Bounty Hunting mechanics. This would promote another means to travel the expanses. These customized bosses would come from each playable and non-playable race in the game (Including Frog people), and would range from typical things such as Space Pirates, Mercenaries, Dictators, Terrorists, Pseudo-Freedom Fighters, and many other fitting tropes you'd imagine.

[​IMG]
    Oddworld: Strangers Wrath made bounty hunting extremely fun, with an option to capture bounties dead or alive.

Included in this bounty hunting mechanic in Starbound, the Outpost would get a 'Bounty Hunters Den', with a Billboard that offers quests to seek and destroy (Or bring back alive if possible) these customized bosses, a few of unique NPCs in the den that give the vibe of bounty hunters presence, and a shop vendor offering rewards with (currency) 'Bounty Hunting Tokens'.

The Bounty Hunter Board that offers you the bounties would give you clues including a description, a photo of the Bounty and its minions (So when you come across you'd recognize), as well as a reward, and info including difficulty and if they prefer things such as Water, Underground, the Surface, climates/biomes etc. You might travel to a star system, and find it's minions and then recognize them... But, you might not necessarily find the boss.. So you'd need to jump to a nearby planet to confront the boss.

[​IMG]
    Oddworld: Strangers Wrath bounty menu excerpt.

[​IMG]
    Many games have a bounty hunting mechanic, such as Monster Hunter, pictured above.

Each time the game is loaded up, the Bounty Hunter Board will generate a bunch of new ones from the library of customized bosses, and keep track of the ones you're still progressing, as well as a cap on how many you can track at one time, and any that are completed are checked off so they don't pop up again.

So, let that sink in. And then imagine starting up a fresh new game, what would happen is that pool of customized bosses would then be re-drawn and re-distributed acrossed the Starbound universe. So basically, each time you start up a new game, you are highly unlikely to find the customized bosses in the same place twice.

---

What do YOU think?

Ralek, Renaxz, Shaggyd0g and 13 others like this.
  20. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

I think that sounds freakin' amazaballs. I'd back this idea 110%. If CF doesn't implement this, I hope that someone will do a mod of it. It's too good of an idea to pass up.

xan713 and CyborgChimp like this.