The Magical Thread of Slimy Awesomeness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LuthienNightwolf, Dec 18, 2016.

1. wronghandle

wronghandle Star Wrangler

Update from the greenhouse: Big Red walked out the door today before my very eyes. I couldn't find him on the farm, so who knows where he must have teleported. As he's still my only male, I reset the day to get him back to his harem. I feel terrible about keeping him against his will. If only he'd make a little Junior Red, I'd happily give him his freedom.

Remind me again how slime farming is so jolly?

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
    • LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

You know, I think red slimes just have low libido. lol I have reds up at the train station and in the three years or so since I started hatching eggs, they've haven't managed to get their population past 30. When I had other colors up there they easily hit and surpassed that mark in just a few weeks.
      All my other slime colonies are huge, it's just the reds that are like that.

wronghandle likes this.
      • Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have a decent percentage of reds, but they seem to like to get together with purples.

20170710234539_1.jpg

sunlite likes this.
        • sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

What's Abigail doing up there? :p

• LuthienNightwolf

Oh you bet they do. I mixed red and purple on my last save and that's the story of how the river in Cindersap got filled with slimes. I had tons of pinks though! :3

Seismothesaurus likes this.
            • Seismothesaurus

Probably wondering if she ate some bad blackberry cobbler.

Abby, Seb, and Linus are all super casual about being surrounded by 75 slimes. ...And now I want some fanart, lol.

• LuthienNightwolf

^ I have a picture somewhere on this thread of Seb casually smoking a cigarette completely surrounded by slimes. He gave zero fooks* that day. lol

*intentionally misspelled ;)

Edit number 1: (Or maybe it's on my farm thread, I can't find it.)

Edit number 2: I found it.
                Not sure why I never posted this over here.
                IMG_0329.PNG

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
                  wronghandle and Seismothesaurus like this.
                • Seismothesaurus

Ahh, I was gonna say, I couldn't find it! I can just imagine them all glopping up against him while he tries to enjoy a smoke in peace for once, argh.

(Scrolling back through, those spouse reactions will always be one of my favourite things on this forum. Aiii!)

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

So let me get this straight... if you have slimes in the house, your mate will freak out and kill them, but in the wild/town they're ok with them (even talk to them)? Interesting. They must not like being in confined spaces with them with no place to run and hide!

• LuthienNightwolf

That or they're just worried about what all that slime is going to do to the hardwood floors/carpets. lol

Stryder87 and Seismothesaurus like this.
                      • wronghandle

Greenhouse report #3: the door continues to be a problem. An amorous male pursued a fleeing female into the great beyond. I haven't found them anywhere. Do they still exist in the game?

The more pressing question is, should they be breeding on their own? So far all new slimes are either hatched in the incubator or born while I'm there. I've moved my 3 weird statues in with them on the theory that Pinky Lemonade's little heart antenna will inspire slime luuurve.

• LuthienNightwolf

There are some locations in the game that have been known to be dead zones for slime breeding, the greenhouse might be one of them. I tried the Community Center on my last save and they didn't appear to be breeding up there when left alone, only when I was present.

wronghandle likes this.
                          • Seismothesaurus

Would it help to build a little fence around your door? I have a modded greenhouse layout, so it wouldn't be as easy on the standard one, but I've set up a couple of slime zones.

20170819163456_1.jpg

Not sure if they breed when left alone yet as I only have one so far. I'll try to keep an eye on that as well, though. It's weird where they do and don't breed on their own.

LuthienNightwolf and wronghandle like this.
                            • wronghandle

Yeah, that possibility has been on my mind. It might just be my inexperience making me impatient. How many in-game days does it usually take to establish a herd?

• wronghandle

Cute greenhouse! And such tidy slime zones. I'll see about fencing off the upper (unplanted) part of my greenhouse.

• LuthienNightwolf

I really like the little setup in your greenhouse @Seismothesaurus its cute!

As far as how long it takes to get a herd going I think it depends on a couple things. One being the location as they sometimes won't breed without you being on that screen, and two being the type of slime. Reds for whatever reason seem to be slow compared to any other color, though they will breed faster if mixed with other slimes. You can get a couple dozen in just a few days if the conditions are right.

• Seismothesaurus

Thanks! The mod is 2cute if anyone is wondering. Lots of places to tuck slimes away. :) I always let my slime colours mingle, so I'm thinking of changing that up and doing purples on the left and reds on the right this time. I'm interested to see what variations still happen, if any.

• LuthienNightwolf

Ah I thought that was the 2cute greenhouse. I use the 2cute farm cave, I wish TaintedWheat would come back and make more stuff cuz I just love her work. ;u;

Someone just reminded me this was a thing - for all the slime ranchers and slime enthusiasts out there, now you can have your entire farm be filled with adorable slimes! This mod is kinda old I think but it should still work with newer versions of Stardew.

http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/slime-animals-last-update-09-10-2016.110931/

I use the dinosaur one myself, they are really cute!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
                                        Seismothesaurus likes this.
                                      • wronghandle

The greenhouse is bustling with slimes after another in-game week. Possibilities: A) being in there for several hours setting up the fence & moving sprinklers gave them time to breed, :cool: they're breeding while I'm not there, or C) Pinky Lemonade is indeed their fertility god.

• wronghandle

Doomed love in the greenhouse ...
                                          greenhouse doomed love.jpg

They've been stuck up in that spot for days. This was after I removed the incubator, so I don't think that's where they spawned into the game.