The Lunar Base Mission for Echerium Crystals is too Hard!

Discussion in 'Other' started by Turtle86, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Turtle86

Turtle86 Void-Bound Voyager

Hello,

I spent some time this weekend playing the game now that the big update is in. The last thing that I did was beat the mission where you go to the lunar base and beat the Echerium horror :)

The mission was really cool for the first bit, but it got pretty monotonous quickly. And then it got too hard. I died at the first hammer-wielding mutated miner. And then I made it to the boss and couldn't figure out what to do and died. And then I died on the way a few times... Eventually I ran around the boss room spamming bandages and hitting switches. I'm not even sure what you're supposed to do when the boss uses the final laser attack because there is no dodging it :(

The mission is necessary to get to other sectors and mine Titanium. That means that I was doing the mission with the highest tier of equipment that I could possibly obtain at that time, and it was still hard.

I think that Starbound is the kind of game that would be most enjoyable to kids and young teens. It has this pretty pixel art, and there is lots of creative and fun stuff to do and explore. Therefore, really, it has got to be easy enough for a kid to beat without leaning on an older sibling to grind their way through the Echerium Crystals level.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Sgt.Nugget likes this.
  2. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

To beat the boss, you turn on all the switches and then use the cannon below the crystal. You just keep doing that over and over. To avoid the final pattern of lasers, stand directly above or below the crystal. If you still can't beat the Erchius Horror, use /admin to make yourself invincible, and then use /admin again to play the game normally.

3. Taiine

Taiine Pangalactic Porcupine

I find the mission too hard as well. The items needed of steel does not offer enough guard against the mobs there, nor do they do enough damage.
    I had no issues up till the first mutated person, and truth be told with how hard he was I thought it was a freaking boss! That sucker in full steel armor knocked me out in three quick hits, faster than I could heal, and the weps I could craft for the mission hardly took off one bar of health from it.

I had to scan the planets hoping for something that did more damage and with luck I did find a cacti mace that would kill the ooz's in one hit, granted it hit with it's slow swing speed, and they wern't to far or right on me to miss the hit. But that could kill the mutants in three hits. It's just living to take those three hits.
    It still owns me before I can go anywhere and being in meelee of it is night a nightmare.

Now thankfully the last two of them you find there's a platform you can jump to, and thankfully they cant jump, so it's just slowly picking off their health from range.

The boss... hooo the boss. The lazers take off half my health, I get stuck or have to deal with a spawned goo and get hit I'm toast. I have yet to be able to fire the lazer off a 2nd time. Either the beam gets me or the stupid ooz does sense they smack my health down fast and of corse they have to get right on you so my wep miss's.

So no.. for a starter mission I'd think that steel armor would offer more then two/three hits of protection. Or that you could take off more then a bar of health per hit.

I shouldn't need to mod or cheat to beat a beginner boss because it can kill me in two hits alone, not countiong the ads that can also kill me in two hits.

4. Tokage

Tokage Aquatic Astronaut

I can't even find the lunar base, I haven't played the game in so long, I just can't remember how to find these things...

5. Taiine

It's a quest on the outpost. You pick it up then you can start it by going to your ships AI.

6. AntiStoned

AntiStoned Big Damn Hero

Why not try using a longsword or a shield?
    They help a lot with blocking the lasers.
    Also, the secret to winning that mission
    is to terrorize it with molotovs. (You can find them in the desert planets.)

7. Scyr2015

Scyr2015 Aquatic Astronaut

I found it too be rather hard as well but not impossible.
    I really liked that Starbound has become a game with a real challenge.

8. Taiine

I haven't found a shield at all on any of the worlds I've been too so I cant even try the shield methood. Al I have is a hefty mace that does 170something damage per swing but even then its slow and stuff can be out of rage or on top of me and miss it fully.

The steel armor needed for the mission is lack luster, you die in two hits. The steel weps made only knock off a few bars of health at a time. You never want to get into melee range against anything.
    I thought I was well preped for the mission but instead I am stuck solid.

9. StarPiggies

StarPiggies Space Hobo

I got the cacti mace too, SOOO MUCH OPNESS

10. Sirrobert

Sirrobert Big Damn Hero

The problem isn't so much that it's hard, it's that it's tedious and long. A single mistake and you're back to the start, grinding through a seemlingly endless horde of bulletsponges.
    Put in some checkpoints, especially a checkpoint before the boss, and it'd be fine.
    A boss like that requires some trail and error, and that's fine. But endless bulletsponges shouldn't be part of the constant repeating trial. Especially not on a slow computer, which already makes precise jumping more difficult

11. Heartstrings

Heartstrings Giant Laser Beams

I beat it on my third try, though I admit the runs back were by far the most annoying part. It helped I knew at least a bit about the boss from the forums. Carry a shortsword and an iron shield, preferably the extra damage sword as opposed to the faster sword, but the shield is the only thing that really matters at the boss. You can also flip at least one or two switches the moment you fire the laser.

12. Taiine

Yeah see I hate fights that need you to pull off that stunt.
    I made a Novakid, all guns and pewpew.
    I crafted the steel gear, and both steel firearms. However the guns hardly knock one point of HP off their healthbars.

Going the path of "Hey if you want this fight to be slightly easier you have to play in a style you don't like nor care to use."

Sorry but I want to snipe stuff, I want to go in guns blazing and pew pew.

But to play that way I had to forgo the wasted mats on two weps that hardly did any damage, weps that should have been -at level- with the mission and go on a hunt, praying to find something stronger. This still crippled with the issue that the steel armor you make for it STILL isn't strong enough against even the first ooz's you find. Three hits and you're dead.

13. OpenWinbow

OpenWinbow Big Damn Hero

Personally, I didn't feel it was to hard Of a mission, but what is killing it for me is that there are no checkpoints. I spend 20 minutes going through the whole base over and over only to die to the hammer mutes or while trying to figure out the boss. It's frustrating to be pointlessly waisting so much time Because I take fall damage in the boss room. :^(

14. Taiine

I fully agree. There are several 'safe' points in the map, areas where you encounter NPC's fighting off the ooz's. It wouldn't be that bad if they added like a monitor or something that opened a channel to your ship and allow you to beam back to that point if you fail.

Lack of Check points
    Armor and weps that are 'needed' being lack luster for the mission.

This has caused me to stop playing the game for a time. It's a mess and it looks like the only way I'm passing it is if I mod the enemies to be more on par with how much damage they deal to you for the armor you 'need' to make for it.

Sorry but 'steel' weps that are to be at the level needed for the mission should do more then a single bar of damage when they can in turn kill you in two hits.

15. dark lord derpy

dark lord derpy Big Damn Hero

While my crossbow can kill the normal mutants in a few hits, those mutant miners are I feel a bit unbalanced, I cant seem to get passed them, and when I die I have to go all the way back to the beginning, and while its fun the first few times, it gets old fast. checkpoints would be very much appreciated

16. shade argost

shade argost Intergalactic Tourist

My problem is that I finished the mission and quest but because my inventory was full the crystals appeared on the ground and I didn't see them and beamed out leaving them there now I can't get them on that save.

EDIT:Never mind I learnt you can buy them afterwards at outpost.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  17. Sgt.Nugget

Sgt.Nugget Big Damn Hero

how do i get to the lunar base because i have been googling on how to but it never gives a answer

18. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Open your ship's computer. There is a tab called Missions. Open the Missions tab, click the mission you want to go to, and then choose the option to go to it.

19. danest

danest Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Been away from starbound for a while, decided to check in again. So I did the mining base for the first time. It seemed to just keep going and going and going. I just want to dig, build, and explore the universe, etc! I mean, I love it if there are optional quests, but this I had to do. ANd it just seemed to keep going, endless bullet sponges very slowly wearing away my bandage supply.
    Then some guy with a hammer and suddenly before I knew what was happening, I'm back on my ship.
    And then I see I have to start. over.
    Nope, nope, nope.
    I see others have posted, complaing, and the answers seem to be posted by people who are like "well, why didn't you X?" Did you know to "x" or "y" on your first playthrough? Probably not. So tedious to think I have to gear up like crazy, then do that tedious as hell dungeon again and hope I don't make a mistake and lose it all.
    The dungeon could have been fairly short, and it would have been fine. No need for such length, I think. I hope this isn't a view of things to come, I loved starbound for just randomly zipping about the galaxy oohing and aaihng and digging and building; quests and dungeons optional.

20. Mood

Mood Big Damn Hero

I don't know how you people did this mission, I used a shield against the pink "monsters" - it stops their "vomit" really well! And against the tough hammer-wielding "monster" I just kited it around with some peashooter. Granted it took some time but was fairly easy as well!
    And the boss itself is easy once you learn how to move to avoid the beam-thingies that it shoots!

I actually wish the bosses would be harder! Playing retro platformer games like Megaman and other similar games you meet some really annoying bosses! Hopefully Chucklefish can add more bosses to Starbound in the future, and some will be super tough!