The great quote sharing thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Surenu, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Hello y'alls.

As some of you may know, I am a great fan of quotes, be they inspirational, saddening, funny or sarcastic. So I thought, why don't we share 'em here? And thus I made this thread. If possible, please share relevant Wikipedia links or other information on the persons you're quoting, and naturally, standard forum rules of course apply. I'll start us off with a couple good ones:

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much." - Oscar Wilde
    "Politics is when you say you are going to do one thing while intending to another. Then you do neither." - Saddam Hussein
    "If you are not criticized, you may not be doing much." - Donald H. Rumsfeld

So, I'll share more of those in the future, and I'm excited to see what you guys and gals come up with!

Dragon_Knight02 likes this.
  2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

I am fond of silly things. For example.

"Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?" - Anonymous

Pangaea and Surenu like this.
  3. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Welp, there's that quote from Woody Allen that I like a lot:

"Eternity's long, especially by the end" (might not be exactly that, I translated from french)

Surenu likes this.
  4. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

"The great thing about Democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid." - Art Spander
    I felt that one was relevant because we have elections this year here in Germany.

"Great causes and little men go ill together." - Jawaharlal Nehru
    This should be common knowledge but unfortunately isn't.

D.M.G. likes this.
  5. 777JackOfBlades

777JackOfBlades Scruffy Nerf-Herder

"With great power comes great responsibility" -Uncle Ben

Surenu likes this.
  6. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

"It's futale to fear a gunshot when loneliness can make the same hole." Not to be taken too literally. It means that you shouldn't stay at home just because you fear bad things happening as staying alone can hurt you too.

Surenu likes this.
  7. Biirdy Daysleeper

Biirdy Daysleeper Weight of the Sky

Reality is what you want it to be.
    Bender B. Rodriguez

(don't know the true author sorry)

Pangaea, MilkCalf and Surenu like this.
  8. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

"In order to seek truth, it is necessary once in the course of our life, to doubt, as far as possible, of all things." - René Descartes.

9. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

As my brother once said to me, "You're not my real dad." And to this day I still live by those words.

I don't know real quotes so yeah, I'll just give silly things I say during work.

Surenu and MilkCalf like this.
  10. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

"One does not export democracy in an armored vehicle." - Jacques Chirac

Here's one I heard during deployment from a buddy of mine: "So... this just happened, right?" - after a goat stepped on a landmine.

D.M.G., 777JackOfBlades and MilkCalf like this.
  11. The Purple Dragon

The Purple Dragon Master Astronaut

"If they are beside you, honour them, if they are behind you protect them, if they are in front of you crush them."-Unknown
    A good viking saying.

"Never allow them access to your heart unless you have access to theirs"-Me, 2017
    I just made that up then, am I allowed to quote myself?

MetaFace, Surenu and MilkCalf like this.
  12. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Yes, of course!

MetaFace and The Purple Dragon like this.
  13. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

"Creativity is the art of hiding your influence" Random Black Mesa scientist.
    Although I am sure it is just a resaying of one of Einstein's quotes "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"

MilkCalf, Surenu and MetaFace like this.
  14. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

"Tear as in a salty drop of water one produces with their eyes" -Me 2017, today

MilkCalf likes this.
  15. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

"One flower doesn't bring spring" - Afghan proverb

MilkCalf and MetaFace like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Seal Broken

"It's better to be lazy than tired"-tado

MilkCalf, debra00 and Surenu like this.
  17. debra00

debra00 Space Hobo

"What then is time? If no one asks me, I know what it is. If I wish to explain it to him who asks, I do not know." -Saint Augustine

MilkCalf and Surenu like this.
  18. debra00

debra00 Space Hobo

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." -Ludwig Wittgenstein

19. MistyTheNeko

MistyTheNeko Ketchup Robot

"Seeing the magic in your eyes can make life exciting"

Somebody probably made it, but I can't find anything and made it up off the (pop)top of my head.

20. Roskii Heiral

Roskii Heiral Heliosphere

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
    -Theodore Roosevelt