1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Great Collection of Starbound Songs and how to put 'em in.

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Midnight_Blitz, Dec 11, 2013.

1. firekirby135

firekirby135 Big Damn Hero

The only games that use abc format are LotRO and Mabinogi. As such, unfortunately no, there aren't that many places to find abc music. And even if you do, there's no guarantee that any of them will work in Starbound, as it handles the files differently. Probably your best bet at the moment is either this thread, from which we will eventually be taking individual requests again, or Starbards, a site that dedicates itself to music in Starbound.

2. Midnight_Blitz

Midnight_Blitz Subatomic Cosmonaut

To add to this, LOTRO's system was so poorly designed, we had octave messes, percussion failures, everything. Really, the better things are at Starbards (the source of the program, actually). The library isn't flawless, but they have a nice list now.

Update on my end, I've started work on songs now that I've figured the system out. I have a new setup myself (new laptop, new mobile desk I've always wanted) that I move over to my stack of electric pianos whenever I get to work. Feels more like an office now.
    I have plans to upload concert versions (tracks compressed by recommended instrument for use in concert), and if possible for the song, a solo version (to be used alone) of each song I make.

To add to what Kirb said here and to clarify:
    -Format is subject to change.
    -If the song was from a LOTRO resource, that will be remade completely. This includes songs like Doctor Who (which I happen to have open this second)
    -We no longer offer support for any songs in the folder of old songs. If they fail to function correctly, just wait for the new version.
    -MLP songs for the Ponex mod have been placed at a high priority due to being part of a mod, and are sounding much better than before without silly transposition. (Winter Wrap Up is in key and has no overpowering notes to it. I just finished fixing an error I made in the vocals. That should be released soon.)
    -Requests to me, myself, though open to him, are closed.

I should be able to test these in game once I get an instrument-making mod working. :/

3. DrDouchenstein

DrDouchenstein Space Spelunker

Hey could someone help me out?
    I tried adding some songs to the game and it looked like I did but, every time I tried playing a song the game froze and crashed, any idea what I could've done wrong or- how I can fix it?

4. Midnight_Blitz

This could be an incompatibility with Starbound and the .abc format. Currently, Starbound isn't fully compatible with the latest ABC standard, so it will either not function correctly, or crash. There's more info on this on the Starbards website. I'd link it but that's what I'm about to get into...

I regret to inform that all uploads my end have been delayed until Saturday or Sunday due to sudden business I need to attend out of town. I don't have my computer, so work is delayed too.

I have decided how I'm doing things, and finished a couple songs.

Songs from me will be released in a solo version and a band version (when available). It will also be designed so both can even be played in unison and sound spiffydoodle.

I have Doctor Who (Hopefully multiple versions), Evangelion -Cruel Angel's Thesis, and Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn almost ready. Learned the editor in and out now. I mainly just need to find midis.

Complete songs include MLP - Winter Wrap Up (Trio and Solo) and Ga-Rei Zero - Paradise Lost (Solo and I forgot the number of people in the band. I'm not on my computer.)
    Will return Friday or Saturday to do stuff,
    -Midi

nancyart likes this.
  5. firekirby135

To any & all of our followers, I say to thee: Haldo. Unfortunately, as I'm sure anyone who's been waiting to download the updated songs that were due for today may have realized, there has been a slight delay. Due to something personal that recently came up for Midi, he will be indisposed until further notice. Fret not though, while I cannot promise the same songs he has, I can, and will, focus as much of tomorrow as I can into getting as many of my songs updated as possible. I hope that you all find this acceptable, and bear with us until we finally get to a more comfortable point when it comes to releasing these songs.

(eventually, I'm hoping Midi and myself can work out a sort of schedule, such as each of us having a weekly goal/quota or striving to release at least a song a day. None of these are set in stone, but I will most likely be discussing with Midi as to what a feasible and acceptable schedule might be, if any, to make sure that everyone following our project don't feel like they're doing so without reason. Trust me, that's the last thing either of us want people to think. ;))

6. Midnight_Blitz

Thanks for hearing that request of mine.

To add to this, I've uploaded what I have thus far to the Drive for viewing and fun stuff. But as said, I am currently going to hold off while I deal with things:
    =MLP - Winter Wrap Up=
    This comes in two flavors: A duet and a solo. Both are very cleaned up versions of the previously released one (I had horrible issues with it. I don't get why people loved it.) The duet consists of a piano and a guitar, I tested acoustic guitar and nylon guitar. Those are just the recommendations, though. You can do whatever. The second is a solo, which... find an instrument and have fun.
    There is currently only one error I know of in this song, and I know how to fix it, but I currently don't have the time to fiddle with it any further. I'll get to it before I make another song.

EDIT: I forgot, there is a long pause in the beginning still if I remember correctly. Next update, there will be only a full rest in the beginning. This was fixed before, just forgot to do it again.

=Ga-Rei Zero - Paradise Lost=
    This is a very fixed version of Paradise Lost, the only song I ever released on Starbards. It has some removed tracks that were making it sound sour, so things are good now.
    This one also comes as a duet and a solo. The duet is nothing in particular, but I do recommend strings or piano.
    Again, I believe the only error I can think of is the final note. Unless I fixed that and can't remember. :/

Finally, a project I'm still in the middle of, but releasing part way through...

=Evangelion - Cruel Angel's Thesis=
    By far the one I've been most anticipating working on, I'm trying my best to make this sound just right. Due to being in progress, it's still at a massive SEVEN parts, so if you can manage to get a band of seven people together, or yourself and six alts, have at it. Otherwise, for now, it'll have to wait until I make it smaller. No solo available yet.

Doctor Who is held back because I want to find an alternate midi source file. This one is giving me a lot of trouble.

Also, I highly recommend modded instruments like 80's piano, Rhode's Piano, Wurly, and Timpani. They are very good instruments and make the experience great for many of these songs. I do try to make it work for vanilla, though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  7. Midnight_Blitz

Well, not the update I expected us to release, but it's great nonetheless.

First off, happy belated Singles Awareness Day. Here's something to show yes, someone still does indeed care. (Don't worry, I know the feels. ;.; )

Cruel Angel's Thesis and Winter Wrap Up are still being worked on, but for now, enjoy the following fun additions and revamps:

A Certain Magical Index - No Buts!! (Solo)
    A Certain Magical Index - PSI-Missing (Solo)
    Animal Crossing - Able Sisters (Solo / Duet)
    Angel Beats - Brave Song (Solo, working on multiple, it just didn't need to be done yet due to simplicity.)
    Dream Eater Merry - Daydream Syndrome (Solo)
    Fire Emblem (7) - Theme (Solo/Seven Part [Temp])
    Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Period (Solo / Trio)
    MLP - BBBFF (Solo)
    MLP - Celestia's Ballad (Solo)
    MLP - Find a Pet (Solo)
    MLP - Giggle at the Ghosties (Solo)
    MLP - It'll Be Okay (Solo)
    MLP - I've Got to Find a Way (Solo)
    MLP - Love is in Bloom (Solo)
    Mega Man - Theme (Solo)
    Otome Youkai Zakuro - Moon Signal (Solo)
    Sonic Heroes - What I'm Made Of (Solo / 5-Part)
    Steins;Gate - Hacking to the Gate (Solo) (With correct speed and fancy notes. I recommend a piano.)
    Toto - Africa (Solo / 6-Part)

Note this: Just because it says a giant amount of parts doesn't mean that's the amount of people needed. Some instruments are only played for a few seconds, but make a huge difference in the song... while the rest stay silent. One could easily switch to the instrument midst song and start playing that track (if they're fast enough.)

A more refined search process will be coming soon. However, I want to get most of this done first. Life is still a bit on the fritz for me right now, just a bit, so settling back in is taking some time. My sleep cycle isn't too great right now (but then again, when is it?) and family issues are bouncing back and forth. Just don't expect daily updates for now.

8. FuzzyThor

FuzzyThor Existential Complex

I get a 500 error when i use your download link.

9. Midnight_Blitz

Thank you for the notification, however, this error code usually just means that the server is having some issues, Google in this case.
    I suggest waiting for a later time and trying again. The editing link still works, but that won't work for anyone else.

If this doesn't fix itself, alternatives will be looked into. (I.E, linking downloads from here, another host)

10. weryuiopas

weryuiopas Void-Bound Voyager

I'm still getting a 500 error from the link. Not sure what's up

11. firekirby135

Anyone who has gotten the 500 error, please try opening the first link in my signature and let me know if it works more reliably. Should this be the case, I will send Midi the link so he can amend it in the first post of this thread.

12. Midnight_Blitz

It works and I'm putting it up as an alternate link.

13. Midnight_Blitz

I'm aware of the new Smooth McGroove microphone and will be testing its compatibility with vocal parts I have already released once it gets patched into the game.

I am currently aiming to release at least once per week, so here is my weekly for this week... week. Note all are solo unless otherwise stated:
    Accel World - Burst the Gravity
    Accel World - Unfinished
    Durarara - Trust Me
    Final Fantasy XIII - Blinded by Light (Solo / 5-Part)
    Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning's Theme
    Full Metal Alchemist - Melissa (Solo / 5-Part)
    Future Diary - Blood Teller
    Guilty Crown - The Everlasting Guilty Crown
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Bouken Deshou Deshou? (Solo / Trio)
    The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - The Legend of Mikuru Asahina (Solo / Optional Duet due to weird discovery made by mixing a LOTRO track with a Starbound Composer track.)
    Highschool D x D : Study x Study
    Highschool D x D : Trip Innocent of D
    Infinite Stratos - Super Stream (Solo / Duet)
    Kill la Kill - Sirius
    Pokemon - Route 1
    Pokemon - Team Rocket (From first seasons) (5-Part only. Solo coming soon.)
    Shakugan no Shana - Hishoku no Sora
    Shakugan no Shana - Light my Fire
    Slayers - Give a Reason (Solo / 6-Part [Temporary])
    Sonic Adventure 2 - Live and Learn (Solo / Quartet)
    Sonic Heroes - This Machine (Theme of Team Dark) (5-Part only. Solo soon maybe.)

The following was fixed:
    Otome Youkai Zakurou - Moon Signal

This is pretty much all I was doing when not doing anything, so I got a ton done.

REMINDER: Use the alternate download link if the main one doesn't work, and if neither work, let me know.

14. bohric

bohric Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What you're doing here is amazing. Please keep doing it.

I have a potential addition, converted from a MIDI I found a while back. You already had it on your list of things to convert, but I thought I might try to help out. You can (probably, I'm not sure how well Mediafire works) download it here.

If possible, could you maybe consider "His World" from Sonic 2006? The only good thing to come out of that game, in my opinion. :3

15. firekirby135

Added to the list. Hands down. No questions asked. As for the Midi file, you don't have to worry about it. While appreciated, Midi and I would rather get our Midi files from our own trusted locations rather than in a zip from someone we don't know. I'm sure Midi would agree, and I hope you understand. Nonetheless, the fact that you have voiced interest will bump that particular song higher on the list. We appreciate your positive feedback, and hope you like our work. If you do, be sure to check back every once in a while, as you never know what we might add next. ;)

16. Midnight_Blitz

I actually disagree if it's a midi. ABC and it's unlikely, but possible. Mainly because of some certain things.

I already had a midi of it anyways. (Thanks a certain site you didn't know had it. :p)

17. Denzanmaru

Denzanmaru Void-Bound Voyager

I feel bad for asking (for some reason) but would it be okay to request Fire Fire by Steam Powered Giraffe? I wanna make a band of glitch to play spg songs

18. Midnight_Blitz

If I get the time (and file) to do so, I don't see why not. I have a friend who's been neglecting to play this game, that just so happens to be a SPG fan. Could make this as incentive for him, too.
    I unfortunately can't guarantee any instruments, amounts of, or any of that, or that this will happen at all.

19. Midnight_Blitz

Hectic week for me, and I'm pretty sure Kirb too. Here is what I did get done this week, however:

Angel Beats - My Soul, Your Beats!
    Full Megal Panic - Tomorrow
    Guilty Crown - My Dearest
    Gurren Lagann - Sorario Days (Solo and Duet)
    Kirby - Fountain of Dreams (Melee Version) (Solo, and I could've sworn I had a 5-part too, but that vanished. Need to remake it.)
    Monty Python - Theme (Solo and 5-part)
    Pokemon - Pikachu's Goodbye (Solo and 5-Part. The Solo comes in a high and low pitched version due to me not liking the correct octave version of the main vocal when in a solo)
    Pokemon - Trainer Battle (Solo and 5-Part)
    Robotics;Notes - Topology
    Soul Eater - Resonance (Solo and Duet)
    Top Gun - Theme (Solo and Quartet)

After discovering the wonders of the bright piano and experimenting with it, I have determined this is going to be a great thing to use for electric piano parts if one doesn't have Rhodes Piano. I'll be recommending that and the new Mic in new songs, and editing old titles to fit such if I have the time.

20. Midnight_Blitz

Well, I kinda was busy most of this week, so this update was delayed by a while. Sorry about that.
    The following have been added to the library:

DNAngel - True Light (Comes in the slow and fast versions. Both do exist.)
    Excel Saga - Love (Loyalty) (Solo / 6-Part. This is the first song I have designed for the microphone.)
    Hayate the Combat Butler - Proof (Solo / Duet)
    Infinite Stratos - Straight Jet
    Queen - We Are the Champions (5-Part, solo coming soon.)
    Scissor Sisters - I Can't Decide (7-Part. I could've sworn I narrowed it down to 5. I'll work on that and the solo. By far the most difficult song for me to work on.)
    Shakugan no Shana - Yokae Umarekuru Shojo
    Sonic Adventure 2 - Chao Kindergarden (7-Part. I'll work on a solo.)
    Sword Art Online - Crossing Field
    Sword Art Online - Innocence
    Tetris - Theme A (6-7 Part. Will work on solo.)

Also, the following finally has a solo:
    Evangelion - Cruel Angel's Thesis

Very likely more than one of these will have an error.