1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED The Great Collection of Starbound Songs and how to put 'em in.

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Midnight_Blitz, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Midnight_Blitz

Midnight_Blitz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Until further notice, updates, requests, the whole kit and caboodle, are closed. Period. Only private things will be done. This will remain for posterity, however.

ALERNATE DOWNLOAD LINK
    https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B1Du3sdIb3P0SXB0aEExZ2ZVNVU/edit
    If it still doesn't work, keep trying. Believe it or not, this has been proven to work by multiple sources.

(Currently thinking of how to deliver an alternate method besides this and StarBards. I am aware and know how to mod, but I still don't want to force everything. This won't happen for awhile, as I want to fix songs first.)

============================
    Request Status: Due to being very busy, not accepted right now.
    (Accepted resources below.)
    Helping out: Firekirby135 (Internet is completely dead for foreseeable future.)
    ============================
    Greetings Humans, Hylotls, Apex, Florans, Glitch, Avians, to-be Novakids, and anything else modded in alike.

This thread's purpose is to provide pre-approved .abc files (ones that sound amazing), not just some, but hundreds... of many kinds. From Bohemian Rhapsody, to the very first theme for Full Metal Alchemist. Heck, Old McDonald. I'll provide em all as long as it's within my power. Its other purpose is for you, yes you, to send me requests. I will take requests to make .abc files of certain songs, but i cannot guarantee it will work correctly, work at all, or that I can find it. I will try nonetheless.

The following would be VERY great and would accelerate the process of making the song... if you can provide the song in one of the following formats:
    -.midi (Kirby will only work on this format right now.)
    -.mus
    -.xml (Music XML)
    (PDF Support returning soon. My Finale broke.)

If you provide ABCs to be posted, it's very unlikely it'll be approved of or posted. We have a certain way of doing things and a certain approval process, and being given an ABC file or set of them limits us. Plus, there's issues with re-hosting songs that may arise if the composer happens to not be you and the composer has a problem with it. Just a precaution. Sorry. :/

We are currently in the process of remaking every song in the Drive to have all octaves and on occasion, have multiple parts and a solo. Until remade, the previous versions of the songs will be available to download.

So, what makes this different from other music packs?
    Well, one. We don't require that you download everything. You get to pick what you want and make a zip out of it.
    Two, as far as I've seen from other gigantic music packs, they're dull and boring one-track, one-tone-at-a-time songs, or things that were just slammed into the editor and torn out instantly without second thought. Sometimes, it doesn't even sound right.
    Three, this is a grandfather to most other packs.

I have nearly 17 years of musical experience, so I know what to do.

===DOWNLOAD LINK===

(List of songs removed for now. They are still at the link, however.)
    =======================
    =======================
    TO INSTALL:

If you got your songs in a mod, move the mod to:
    /Starbound/mods/
    ...and follow any extra instructions it gives.

If it didn't come with a mod:
    /Starbound/assets/user/songs/
    You can place it further in if you have the extended songbook mod. Highly recommended.

I highly recommend bookmarking the link you install songs to if you're going to be installing many in the future, as going to this folder can be a bit of a pain.

1. Go here.
    2. Select one of the following:

3. Click the "Open in Google Drive" button on the top-right of the page.
    4. Tick the boxes of the songs you wish to select (if you're planning on downloading most of them, if not all, ticking the top box will select them all. You can then deselect the ones you don't want)
    5. Click the "More" drop down menu, then click "Download..."
    6. Make sure you're downloading only selected files, and the "Other types of files" are being downloaded "As is"
    7. Either wait for the .zip, or have Google Drive send it right to your e-mail.
    8. Download to the following directory if using Steam for Windows:
    (Drive Starbound's on. Usually C) :/Program Files*/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/user/songs
    (*It is Program Files(x86) if using 64-bit Windows.)
    9. Extract. Go to 10/5.

And the following if not Windows:
    Mac: /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/songs
    Linux: /home/user/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/songs

Extract, go to step 9.

3. Select a song file. (What each file contains is also displayed in the description of the song. if the title isn't good enough.)
    4. Download to the following directory if using Steam for Windows:
    (Drive Starbound's on. Usually C) :/Program Files*/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/user/songs
    (*It is Program Files(x86) if using 64-bit Windows.)

And the following if not Windows:
    Mac: /Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/songs
    Linux: /home/user/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/songs

Skip to step 10/5.

No matter what one you downloaded to...
    10/5. If Starbound, the game itself, is currently open, reset it. You must reset for the changes to take effect.
    11/6. Grab a guitar. Grab a harmonica. Whatever. Have fun.
    ==================
    Re-Host/Editing Permissions Disclaimer:

Permission to re-host, re-upload, must be asked for. The only three locations I should currently be seeing any of our content uploaded to is our drive, Starbards, and the pony modpack (or anything Ponex-derived that has received author's permission/inherited the mod, AND credits firekirby135 and myself.)

If I see any of these on the Steam workshop, I will immediately request a take down of the music on grounds of stolen work.You need permission to even make a compilation if the artist says so, and boy do I say so. Failure to comply will result in the mod being reported for stolen assets.

People make those and never give credit. However, right now, I have my own reasons. I will not be releasing any packaged versions until I fix at least 30-50 songs, which then you'll be able to find the new versions on the Steam Workshop. Individuals will be available on StarBards.

Please note that I do occasionally check for these minor details, and can tell when it's a song I've worked on.

Did we make the midis? Except for super rare occasions, no. Guess what? Neither did anyone else you're getting your ABC files from. Did we work like hell to get them working in ABC? We sure as hell did. There are some times where things don't go right and you spend hours trying to fix everything.

===================
    To-Do:
    -Recompile
    -RE-DO EVERYTHING. Because some things sound terribad...er...
    - REMOVE LOTRO-QUALITY SONGS IN FAVOR OF NEW!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Zettadox

Zettadox Void-Bound Voyager

You might want to simply rar/zip/7zip this and upload it, thanks for these .abc's though. :)

3. IamJamez

IamJamez Space Hobo

Any chance of some Metal Gear Solid stuff?

4. firekirby135

firekirby135 Big Damn Hero

Well if we did that, we'd have to re-upload the archive each time. On top of that, we would have to each download the file each time anyone made an edit of even a single song, so it'd be quite inconvenient. Plus, this way, people can download only the songs they want without having to deal with the ones they don't. But I do understand where you're coming from, and I will think about creating an all-inclusive .zip file whenever major (20+) additions are made to the songlist. That sound about fair? :p
    We actually have gotten some requests for that. Will work on some soon. :)

5. Zettadox

The .ABC files are 3Kb - 40 Kb so at the most this archive would be a few Mb which is not exactly a big deal to upload even on slow DSL connections lol.

It's super easy to download a archive extract it then CTRL-Shift/CTRL-A and hit the delete key on the songs one doesn't want. It's kind of obnoxious to individually download each song. The different is not a big deal though, I only suggested the archive to make OP's post more popular a lot of people are quite lazy and won't want to even sift through them or individually download them.

That makes it sound like I think I am entitled to free .ABC songs haha. This is obviously a courtesy of OP I expect nothing, just a suggestion to make it easier.

6. Dragonsbane11

Dragonsbane11 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Could you add Major Tom? As well as Build that wall from bastion?

7. Sparksol

Sparksol Phantasmal Quasar

If the page gives you the option, try the "Open in Drive" button at the top right. Then you can check off which ones you want and download them as a .zip file.

8. yk999

yk999 Subatomic Cosmonaut

We can't download them one by one. Why don't you zip them?

9. Midnight_Blitz

I should probably specify the easy way to select the songs one wants to download. However, as asked above...
    I did consider this possibility, but who wants to download a .zip file full of 100+ .abc files, when all they want are 6 songs from it? Also, as firekirby said, it's a hassle, since this is being constantly updated.

Kilobytes aren't really much. It's a small sacrifice I'm willing to make for convenience.
    Please first note that Firekirby is doing a ton of this with me. Because we're both doing this, we'd both eventually end up with different versions of the .zip file. Confusion, inefficiency. It's better this way, where people can select a song. They will be renamed to be more obvious soon.

Thank you for your suggestion.

Read earlier in this post.

Should the need arise, I'll separate everything into albums.

10. firekirby135

We'll see what we can do.
    This is information not even I knew, and I use Google Drive constantly. Thank you for letting us know so we can pass on this knowledge. I will type up a quick tut on how to do this so anyone can use this info, then have Midnight add it to the first post.

Midnight_Blitz likes this.
  11. Midnight_Blitz

Now about this, I am interested in Major Tom as well. I wonder if I can get one for that... I'll see what I can do seeing as Metal Gear is being taken care of.

EDIT: Kirby, you freaking ninja.

12. Midnight_Blitz

Due to seemingly popular demand for .zip files, I have (as in, Kirby has) made instructions as to how to make your own .zip file out of the collection. It is an alternative set of steps that lead to a desired result. Will polish the instructions tomorrow.

13. firekirby135

I'll do you one better, I already got the midi file. :rofl:

14. Zettadox

Dropbox, Google Drive etc... Shared folders.

15. firekirby135

Please go look at the original post again. We have just been informed of a method through which people can simply check a couple boxes through Google Drive and get the songs they want in a nice .zip download, no hassle required from either party. Want a .zip of all possible songs? Tick the box at the very top and you're done. Painlessly simple, and extremely effective. Hope this helps resolve any problems you initially had. :)

16. Midnight_Blitz

The following songs have been completed by firekirby135 and approved of by myself tonight:
    Peter Schilling - Major Tom (With Bass. There is a w/o bass version that sounds choppy.) @Dragonsbane11
    Metal Gear Solid 2 - Theme (Comes in two flavors. I didn't quite like one of them. I'll let you take a pick. Heck, play them both.)@IamJamez

There are other Metal Gear songs being worked on, but they are unpolished and not approved to be hosted as of this moment. They either don't sound right at all, or choppy.
    (Also, if the MGS songs sound very off, please tell me. I've never played that series in my life and am going off of Youtube songs to compare.)

The approved files should be hosted soon.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  17. Blade Skydancer

Blade Skydancer Void-Bound Voyager

Could you possibly do these songs: Amazing Grace, Scotland the Brave(really need bagpipes for the game, that'd be awesome.), Blow the Man Down, Drunken Sailor?

18. Midnight_Blitz

There are many versions of Amazing Grace out there, are we talking the traditionally sung version?

In other news, five new songs just got tested and uploaded (I have insomnia. I have the time.). Note that a couple are a bit off right now, but that will be fixed in a later update:
    Ga Rei Zero - Paradise Lost (Theme)
    High School D X D - Trip Innocent of D (Full First Opening)
    Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Mikuru Legend of Love (Theme from Episode 00)
    Soul Eater - Resonance (Theme)
    Trigun - Main Theme

There were to be seven, but the others broke. They'll probably be up later this week.

19. Blade Skydancer

Blade Skydancer Void-Bound Voyager

Either that or the bagpipe version.

20. Midnight_Blitz

Y'know, if I can find both, I'm getting both. I'm a fan of both of them. Especially the bagpipe one. Though, I think the closest instrument would be an Accordion, but I'd have to test to try.
    I'll work on it along with the rest of this after I get some sleep.