Modding Discussion The "genders" entry

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DraikNova, Jan 11, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

So, I noticed that in the species file for each race, there's a specific entry for genders, where male and female seem to be part of a list rather than just being a 1/2 decision. Does this mean that we can make aliens with 1 or 3 genders?

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It is mainly used for sprites for armor classification

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

No, you can't. The game only supports the two.

4. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Oh well, too bad I guess.

5. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

@Kawa might know somethings about this, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing 3 races in the felins .species file.

6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

One, it's species not races.
    Two, you're talking about gender why'd you even make that mistake?
    Three, most importantly, I did in fact experiment a little bit with having felir, fela, and felhru but the game indeed only takes two genders. Not one, not three, nothing but two.

7. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

@Kawa I blame my ADD and dyslexia, and the fact I just reworked a lot of my modpack's species code.

8. Arsakes

Arsakes Phantasmal Quasar

Can we make species with one gender? Or rather limit the player options to create only male or female character of chosen race?

9. lazarus78

Just make one of the genders be exactly the same as the other. Same sprites, same icons, etc. There is no functional difference between male or female.

Edit: Sorry I misread your question and assume you meant relating to a custom race. That said, I don't believe you can force a specific gender option. Maybe you can edit the config to remove one of the buttons, but that wouldn't be race specific.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  10. geckobud

geckobud Master Chief

@lazarus78
    I was actually interested in doing this for a custom race (make both genders basically the same) but the one issue I ran into was how to tell the game to use the male armor sprites for female-gendered characters instead of the female ones. Admittedly I looked a little and then put it on the backburner, so I could be missing something obvious, but you wouldn't by chance happen to know how to do this, would you?

11. lazarus78

Simple.

Code:
    "maleFrames" : {
        "body" : "chestm.png",
        "backSleeve" : "bsleeve.png",
        "frontSleeve" : "fsleeve.png"
      },

"femaleFrames" : {
        "body" : "chestf.png",
        "backSleeve" : "bsleeve.png",
        "frontSleeve" : "fsleeve.png"
      },

You can either leave out the "female" section, or just point the female section to the male sprites. Either works.

The | Suit likes this.
  12. geckobud

geckobud Master Chief

Thanks a mil! :)

13. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Mostly, I'm confused by the fact that, despite the fact that there's not even the option to add an extra gender entry to species, in quests, vanilla species outlaws will occasionally be referred to not with he or she, but as they.

14. lazarus78

Because gender choice is purely aesthetic. It has no impact on the game, meaning there is no conditional dialogue that checks for your gender, so all dialogue has to be gender neutral.

15. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I believe there is some LUA that checks gender. So you COULD have something like that. Just that the game doesn't seem to do so.