The Game Mechanics Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xylia, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The wedding in Skyrim. The easiest way to kill her, was to drop the statue on her from above while she stood up and spoke. You COULD also shoot her with an arrow from a nearby balcony, but good luck getting out alive, lol.

At least with the statue, if you had good enough sneak and/or invisibility potions, the guards would merely go on alert, but you could still sneak out.

2. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Oh,I just shot her with the crossbow and got a bounty in riften for some reason,not a single guard even touched me though.

3. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Must be a glitch, because when I did it the entirety of Solitude was wanting me dead, civilians included.

4. alextulinov

What if you cast a frenzy spell on the bride though?

5. alextulinov

Insane difficulty spikes where the creators were like: okay,first we are going to have the game be insanely easy at the beginning and slowly increase in difficulty until the middle part of the game where the there is gonna be a huge fuck you will flash in to the screen and the enemies will go from rainbow unicorns to ultimate megadeath killmasters,yeah seems fair

6. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Difficulty spikes can be used properly too. They can add tension to situations that are literally or emotionally hard.

7. alextulinov

Not much emotion in FTL though

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Plenty of "emotion"... mostly player frustration at stupid RNG or bad mechanics/game design.

9. alextulinov

Yeah except that and selling you mark 3 burst laser for a glaive beam

10. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

My complaints are usually about OP or unbalanced consumable or abilty.
    Usually a healing item that you can just spam with no downside to heal.
    As long as you have some, you're invincible, unless something can 1-shot you.
    Same goes for abilities.
    Or ranged + Speed combos.
    Deal damage and never get hurt.
    It's the the other side of the "too much energy cost / too weak / too expensive ability/Item" coin.
    It's like Donatello from TMNT on the NES.
    It was just sad and cheaaaaap

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

So a new game came to my mind this morning that probably has THE most ridiculously horrible game mechanic I have ever seen.

Now, I've been rather vocal how I hate permadeath and games that try to force it on you, and such.

As much as I hate permadeath, there's something I hate even more, and that's punishing the player for things they had absolutely no control over.

Back during the PS1 Era, there was a game called Azure Dreams. It wasn't a hugely well known game, but I saw it in a store one day and it looked cool. Little did I know that two little mechanics in that game existed to make it one of the worst games I've ever played.

It was a game that featured an instanced, randomized tower, where you started on Floor 1 and were expected to climb some 80-90 floors (you could leave the tower partway through so you could keep re-running earlier floors to get stuff). It was meant to be a Rogue-like that was randomized and reset each time you did it.

However, the game developers imposed a stiff punishment for dying: Everything on your person, including your equipment and money, was taken away if you die. The stuff you had stored at the town at the base of the tower was not taken away and IIRC, your monsters and all that were fine. As you go through the tower, you have a monster companion or two and you could find eggs to get new monsters. They gained XP levels just like you do. However, every time you enter the tower, your own XP levels reset so you start at Lv1 each time.

Well anyways, we're talking about the Playstation 1 here. It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to circumvent the Death Penalty -- you'd simply remove your memory card from the machine unless your run was successful enough that you'd plug it back in and save your game.

SO, the developers got the brightest (/sarcasm) idea in the world: When you enter the tower, the game writes data to your memory card that assumes you died in the tower. Yes, let me say that again: As soon as you enter the tower, the game writes data to your memory card that assumes you died in the tower. The game will write the data back once you exit the tower and save your game... BUT...

Think about that for a second.

Power outage? You lost all your stuff.
    A kid trips over some cables and pulls the AC cord out of the console? You lost all your stuff.
    A glitch or what-not locks the game up? You lost all your stuff.

What were they thinking!? This is the worst mechanic I have ever seen in any game, period. All of this, to make SURE the player takes their punishment for dying, because how dare you get a second chance and not lose a huge chunk of work.

This, combined with the OTHER mechanic... I'll talk about that for a second:

The tower is made up of tiles. You move tile-by-tile. Some of these tiles are "traps": Some ofthem poison you, some of them heal you, some of them upgrade your weapon by adding 1 damage, some of them downgrade your weapon, etc. The problem? You can't tell a trap tile from a normal tile because both look 100% identical.

So again, punishing the player for something they had no control over. There's no skill involved in dodging the traps, you just randomly get punished or rewarded for...... nothing.

BUT.

Now that we have emulators... I might take another look at this game now that we have Save States, lol.

MilkCalf likes this.
  12. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Playing Skyrim again makes me realize how much I hate mountains and the like in open-world games without jetpacks, grappling hooks or whatever. The amount of times I try climbing a mountain on what appears to be the shortest path, only to spend too much time and end up using noclip is just staggering. Same issue with Fallout 3 in the DC ruins, but thankfully not in 4 or New Vegas so much.

To circumvent this, I tried using the Clairvoyance spell, which highlights a path to the active quest marker. The first time, it guided me on a somewhat convoluted (it stuck to the roads for the most part, even if shortcuts would have been possible otherwise) yet completely serviceable path. The second time, it guided me into a wall. It was indeed pointing to the marker, but ignored the fact I had to go through a quarter of a dungeon in the opposite direction first.

MilkCalf likes this.
  13. alextulinov

yeah the clairvoyance spell either uses the longest possible route or guides you to a dead end and forces you to search for hours,same issue with V.A.N.S in fallout 4

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Oddly enough I never had a problem with mountains in Skyrim. You can either use a horse (LOL) or you can just spam the jump key as you walk at an angle and you can scale 80-90 degree inclines (it can't be full 100% vertical though) and you can usually eventually make it up the hill. Just remember to quicksave often just in case you happen to make a tiny mistake, and fall to your death lol.

15. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Unnecessarily long cooldown times on skills that shouldn't even have a cooldown timer. Man that's so annoying.

16. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

In Stellaris, fleets that you want to get to a destination/fight quickly will slow to a crawl upon getting within range of an enemy mining station and start to unload their arsenals into it. Thus wasting a lot of time.

Fleets also just generally become slow at the worst times in battle. reinforcements finally arrived to aid in a pitched battle between one of my main fleets and an enemy empire once but instead of moving into close range they instead activated combat modr halfway across the map, which then reduced them to a snails pace. they couldn't even fire off any weapons either since the range was too far. As a result, the fleet that needed reinforcements got crippled before any real help was mustered by my reinforcement fleet and now I have to figure out how to contain a grave threat to my empire that could've been made much more manageable.