The Game Mechanics Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xylia, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Funny thing is, Gunners do this as well.

2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

Well, they might be paid just THAT much to attack the player's settlements.

3. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

I could wipe them out by paying them to send small squads into deathclaw nests!

4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That doesn't excuse this behavior in Skyrim, though.

I'm walking down the road wearing dragonbone armor, I've got this real nasty looking axe in my hands with a huge shield... and some idiot with an iron dagger who is wearing leather armor walks up to me and goes "Gimme all your money or I'll gut you like a fish!"

I'm like... "dude, that dagger of yours wouldn't even penetrate my armor."

5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Maybe its an enchanted dagger of Gutting-people-like-fishes

MilkCalf likes this.
  6. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I don't care how good your dagger is... I got a huge shield and an axe, a nasty looking one at that. Would you walk up to someone who might as well be wearing plate armor, who has a huge shield and an axe in their hand, threatening them with a dagger when all you got is some leather on your body? lol.

7. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Guest

Khajiit would

Vilespring likes this.
  8. Sinaku

Sinaku Void-Bound Voyager

Dodge or die mechanics, both skill-based and RNG based.
    Dungeons and Dragons (pencil & paper version!) has basically always worked primarily via the latter. Though you can gain resistances, the primary damage mitigation method is complete avoidance vs. full damage. As a result, most hits do massive damage to make up for the fact that you'll avoid most.
    Diablo 1 and 2 did this also. You would avoid most hits, but the ones that landed had a good chance of killing you (or almost.) Being an ARPG, you could also manually dodge, but as with the entire series, controlling targeting and movement with the same controls is difficult at first and takes awhile to get really good at.
    With Diablo 3, the devs specifically stated they'd prefer a soak method to an avoid method to normalize damage amounts and avoid one-hit kills. They didn't.
    The dexterity-based classes gained dodge from main stat, which WAS only an avoidance mechanic (each main stat provides a defensive stat as well.) They changed this eventually, but at high levels of play, it's STILL physically dodge or you're dead in a couple hits, tops.

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

^^
    These are good points. What's the point of having HP when you die in 1-2 hits? Always wondered that myself.

But then just about any modern day MMORPG uses the same stupid mechanics for large player group content, every boss ever has these sets of attacks that you either dodge or you die very quickly, usually one shot or close to it. FFXIV and WoW are rather lousy for this, though the easier difficulties not so much.

And just to give healers something to do (because if you die in one hit, healers are useless), they give unavoidable damage that the entire group (or only a few people) take and they must be healed or they eventually die to said bouts of unavoidable damage. And of course, debuff removal.

You know things get too silly when you have to make unavoidable damage just to give the healers something to do.

10. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Two most basic needs for good gameplay are enemy placement and enemy AI. I'll demonstrate this with Assasin's Creed as it consists of both the best and the worst stealth games.
    In some of the early games (and III for what ever reason) the enemy AI homes on you during chaces (you have been spotted and are running away instead of hiding). What this means is that while the enemy might not see you (the alert status is yellow) it's AI will stil make them move at your current location.
    While bad AI can be considered acceptable as a small problem that has been fixed (III was a fuckup though) a more recent problem is sloppy enemy placement thst are in III (no way...) and Freedom Cry.
    In nearly all AC games, the enemies have challenging but fair placement. Not being seen is usually hard and the games don't really punish you for failing. When the placement is sloppy though, they are in random clumps and either too easy or impossible to avoid. And no 'you can just fight your way through' is not a good reason for bad stealth.

11. alextulinov

alextulinov Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In RTS games when the AI can just Zerg rush you from all sides because it can micromanage in ways a human physically can't.oh and mountains only having one one path going through them in skyrim,especially when it takes hours to walk halfway around the mountain.

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

RTS games: That indeed does suck, but what gets me is how some RTS games blatantly break the rules because the programmers were too lazy to program an AI capable of beating human players without cheating. I don't know if it was this thread I mentioned this in or not, but Warcraft 3 is an example of blatant cheating on the AI's part. Normally when your Humans or Orcs grab gold out of a gold mine, you gain 100 gold and the mine loses 100 gold (assuming no upkeep). When THEIR workers hit the mine, the mine loses ONE gold per worker hitting it. This means they have access to 100x more gold than you do, and this is why they never lose their goldmines and you have to keep hopping from mine to mine because they tend to give you mines with hilariously low gold content.

As for Skyrim.... I do lots of cliff jumping, lol. Just spam the jump button (usually spacebar) while walking against the cliff. You'll eventually climb the mountain no matter how steep it is, you just gotta keep going back and forth the cliff face.

or..... you know.......get a horse.

13. alextulinov

And skyrim horses who run like they need to desperately take a shit and their stamina is less than the players so might as well walk

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Unless, of course, you get Shadowmere.... and besides, it's either take a horse to climb the mountain, or climb it yourself but do it 50x slower.

15. alextulinov

Oh and the dark brotherhood,although it's not a mechanic it sucked,its mission except for when you mascaraded as the gourmet,the missions weren't anything special,while in oblivion they had designed every detail of the missions.

MilkCalf likes this.
  16. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Looking from the lore stand point, maybe the brotherhood devolved through the ages. From a religious cult to common killers.

17. alextulinov

I meant that they sucked in mission design,most of the missions didn't even have their own location and most missions were just follow and stab,nothing original,I remember in oblivion there was a mission where you need to kill a guy with his own wall ornament.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The first few missions that you got as a newbie, yeah.

But what about the statue you loosen that falls upon the bride during her marriage while she gives her speech?

I also remember one or two others that were rather "detailed" too.

Though nothing compares to that House Party from Oblivion... that was just weird. lol.

19. DJFlare84

DJFlare84 Spaceman Spiff

Having an absurdly rare drop be a required material.

Monster Hunter, I'm looking at YOU with your Rathalos Plates...

alextulinov likes this.
  20. alextulinov

Wait you mean the wedding in skyrim,that you could kill the bride using a statue or is this in oblivion when you become a silencer(?)