The future of Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Hilkyshtuff

Hilkyshtuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

One thing I would LOVE for there to be is the ability to mark planets as favorites and be able to quickly select it on the starmap. Having to write down and input coordinates each time is a drag.

Epsilon52, Leak, vanella and 2 others like this.
  2. SkyggeEngel

SkyggeEngel Void-Bound Voyager

Gotta love that list, except the navigation map change. Wouldnt make sense to have a "fog of war" in a universe where people already live, human civilization just fell barely days or weeks ago when the char starts out. Maybe the later sectors could have this fog?

Epsilon52 likes this.
  3. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I sort of don't want to play until more of this stuff is implemented.

Titanium likes this.
  4. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

"NPC Spawners & Building Logic: NPCs will scan the structures you build around them and the contents of chests; they will have improved inventories/behaviors depending on how valuable their surroundings are."

Actually, looking back into this(and my previous comment), is the current way NPCs are recruited(via building, and the placing "NPC spawners") "final" or something up to being changed later?

I've just reached the beta sector and now I have seen I can actually build NPC spawners. However, while it does give a very good level of control on how you deploy NPCs, it has always kind of felt as a bit un-immersive to me.

Since, except perhaps to the exception of the Glitches, it kind of feel odd that we would be "building" NPCs rather than recruiting them(through a "recruitment agency" or as a reward for a quest we would have done for them or someone else) or them migrating to our towns on their own(perhaps hearing of lucrative possibilities for work in this newfangled settlement founded by a player).

It's just my personal wonderings on this and I was curious what was Chucklefish's own thoughts and decisions in that regard.

5. NFossil

NFossil Phantasmal Quasar

The new sector system sounds even worse. So you not only have to go to the next sector to unlock new difficulty but also have to go to the right place to unlock the next sector?
    Unless, of course, if sector is not tied to tier availability.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  6. AlexTheRobot

AlexTheRobot Orbital Explorer

Imo, the large-scale terraforming should done with a laser on the ship, and when you are on the planet, a giant beam would come across your screen, do a bunch of damage, and destroy blocks.

7. WakeTheShark

WakeTheShark Phantasmal Quasar

I'm still not really digging the racial armor providing the race stats, each race should start out with actual stats and you should be able to get others by acquiring the different armors. I feel like I should be able to, as a hylotl to jump into water and stay in for long periods of time from the get go.

8. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

[​IMG]

thank you

Epsilon52 likes this.
  9. oOort

oOort Industrial Terraformer

Very necessary post. Even though you had a lot of it planned in the back of your mind, this is what people needed to hear at this point in time. I think you just saved yourself from a good chunk of angry demands on the forums. Buuut, the people are restless; insatiable. I hope one day you will get to enjoy the fruits of your labor, Tiyuri san.

10. Titanium

Please make sure that tentacle planets give creatures tentacle deformities!

That would give awful advantages to being certain races, and that's not right.

Epsilon52, CalamityQuote and oOort like this.
  11. Kergami

Kergami Title Not Found

This makes me so fucking happy.

12. Naxdar

Naxdar Void-Bound Voyager

I would prefer the racial bonuses to be inherent, or at least some of them.
    For example, a hylotl should be able to breathe underwater regardless of what he is wearing. A floran shouldn't need to wear metal and stuff to do photosynthesis.
    Armors sets could give some bonuses too, but a character without them should have at least something to make it different.

13. GabrielARC

GabrielARC Void-Bound Voyager

First off, Thank you very much for this awesome game. It has helped kept me entertained(even in beta) as I was doing my patrol. I am very fond of this game and very proud to be apart of this community that is growing exponentially. I cant wait for the next update....I'm more like craving it because I just have that insatiable appetite for updates and more content. I look forward to the next update, Keep up the hard work!

PS: Thanks for feeding my addiction!

~~Gabriel AKA: Jinx

14. Titanium

I'll admit, I am one of these insatiable planetary rectums. I am eternally unsatisfied even if given a godsend of a game—literally capable of granting me all of my wishes past, present, and future—crafted from the very stardust of infinity itself. No, seriously. That is how I feel.

15. Meatchunks

Meatchunks Master Chief

Thank you for all your hard work so far!

Epsilon52 likes this.
  16. CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

In lieu of hostile planetary environments (Poisonous, No Atmosphere, Etc) will there be armor upgrades or mods to allow survival in such environments and/or an oxygen pumping system to work through bases to make them "Safe zones" for survival in such areas?

17. Sire Nukerre

Sire Nukerre Big Damn Hero

Well, I can't say I disagree with inherent racial abilities right from the start even if it may cause some imbalances. Maybe, just maybe, put the abilities in but leave it at 5% to start with. Then follow up with the classic counter-argument:
    Then swiftly:

18. GCSpitfire

GCSpitfire Void-Bound Voyager

Such ambitious plans. I really wish they'd all come true. Keep it up, folks!

Epsilon52 likes this.
  19. DaPaBe1999

DaPaBe1999 Intergalactic Tourist

20. WakeTheShark

WakeTheShark Phantasmal Quasar

Not really, it's not much to ask for races to have the born abilities or obvious attributes that the lore mentions, the Elder Scroll series does this very well. Not to mention if you keep the racial armor bonuses if someone else wants that ability it would give them the option to have it. I like being able to choose the race of my character and feel the difference in the gameplay, I love cosmetics as much as the next guy but I feel like these sorts of differences should be implemented since they don't force anything on the player.

vanella, everfreeDragoness and Batt like this.