The future of Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. vedger

vedger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

super exciting stuff on that list! spawn points would be awesome if in the next patch!

Minnigin likes this.
  2. Harrison.1500

Harrison.1500 Intergalactic Tourist

And plant trees, better than go other planets to loss fuel.

3. Bastard Man

Bastard Man Big Damn Hero

Had a play about with the beta, getting to tier 4 stuff before the first wipe. Really enjoyed it, and can't wait for all these added features to get put in. Great work guys.

4. Epigenety

Epigenety Poptop Tamer

First of all, while I respect your opinion on this, I do have the feeling you are reading a bit too much into things. Most of these changes/features where hinted at earlier during development, but were simply not yet implemented because, well, beta I guess..?
    Of course some tester suggestions streamlined their original plans into better things, but after playing and seeing what is already in the game I do have faith that it will be done properly. It just needs time, or maybe more time, or even some more, but for me that is not an issue. Besides, that is one of advantages of a beta in this form right? I personally do not think that they are directionless. Surely they have a lot of content almost ready to be put in the game, but the whole progression system via different sectors just needs some revision, and tester feedback is required for these sort of revisions I think. However, the way they already built the game, with the random gen and all, it can be adopted to whatever form they ultimately decide on without having to start from scratch.

These are just my thoughts though. Optimistic all the way :laugh:.

Also, they should totally add a biomedical lab/tools and give players the ability to take (genetic)samples from all the mobs you find and amplify their DNA and clone them (for scientific purposes obviously, totally not for war potential/pets).

Epsilon52 likes this.
  5. Silvador

Silvador Phantasmal Quasar

Can't wait to see some of these additions. I seem to remember different strengths of gravity was mentioned once or twice a while ago. Is that still going to be in the game? I'd love to explore a small planet and go bounding along in low G or have to be really extra careful on large, high G planets where movement is hampered and even a small drop can be really dangerous.

Also, more of a suggestion but... I always find it odd when I go to a system and see ice planets closer to the sun when desert planets are on distant orbits. Would it be possible to have a planet's climate reflect its distance from the star? i.e. closer planets are hotter and more barren/wasteland-ish while distant planets are colder and icey, etc.

Epsilon52, vanella and KitFox like this.
  6. Dryw

Dryw Star Wrangler

Wax, cover the glitch in wax!

7. Pinchy

Pinchy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Warping between servers will set this game apart from anything before it.

Some things in the list are serious game of the year material.

8. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Best part is, even if they don't complete that list eventually the modding community will provide every flavor of Starbound anyone desires :D I personally value the "end-game" not being the end of the game at all, but a whole new ballgame.. (*starts rambling disjointed ideas*)

*Every special attack function besides stuff like body-slam should be applied to weaponry.
    *Every item in the game should apply to at least three recipes, with multiple recipes for the same item in some cases.
    *Violently stealing Terraria's dye system is an awesome idea!
    *Multiple sizes of minibosses, regardless of how bad the biggest ones look!
    *INCREDIBLY EASY modding for random-type quests would be amazing (and by INCREDIBLY EASY I mean a monkey with broken fingers could type up a couple random quests a day ;) ).
    *Incredibly rare creature/monster based crafting component drops (incredibly rare things are always good)..
    *Racial armors should be able to be collected/worn by other races!
    *I'd be a fan of some kind of exp/levelup/skill-tree system (covering mild combat buffs, luck, mining speeds etc, for variety of builds)..
    *Name-able pop-up labels for chests (so when I point at my seed chest a box pops up that says "SEED CHEST")..
    *Finer zoom options (1.5x, 2.5x etc) Arrows/bullets as equipment with random attributes/elements (plus the game just needs more elements!).
    '*WANTED!' poster quests!
    *Terraformer options for changing/painting terrain and water color planet wide (would be powerful end-game kind of thing)!
    *Also, for colored dirt types, instead of each dirt type having its own storage square all available colored "dirt" objects should have one icon in your box that, when clicked, opens a radial display showing all the colored dirt (or cobblestone, anything that comes in multi-colored varieties.. Hard looking through mixed colors of sand/dirt trying to find a specific one)..
    * "Hoarder recipes" for equipment and furniture that take tons and tons of resources/components (anything that naturally piles up during hoarder-type gameplay)..
    *Got to edit in my favorite idea so far, the end-game Outer Sector, which is empty except for one planet, and on that planet is a Custom Planet Printer (name may need to be catchier), where you can enter seeds and generate planets and store a couple hundred self-seed-created planets in your own Outer Sector (that can be shared with others, of course..) Could even make a random name generator so you can pick a nice name for it that would be included in the seed.. Maybe the Planet Printer could take components that somewhat determine the planet's danger/loot level..

NEW MONSTER ABILITIES: chameleon/cloak, sime-style splitting, radial burst attacks, teleporting, damage-inflicting and damage-reducing shields, rally cries. poisonous/toxic/acidic slime trails or spit, off the top of my head.. Lots of action/hack-n-slash elements can be borrowed for this, and for player buff "potion" type items..)

And of course, the stuff I'm waiting on most, graphical dehancement options! Particle count/quality (including the little dust puffs monster put off when they slide!), weather quality, moving background toggle (or removal!), disable moving plantlife, reduce lighting quality/disable flicker and pulse, Vsync disable/enable in options, anything else that seems slightly helpful :p

*breathes raggedly* .. Huh.. Suggestion thread?? .. What? :p

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    Epsilon52 likes this.
  9. WuffyWolffoot

WuffyWolffoot Void-Bound Voyager

Space Hulk detected. Gather the Terminators so we might purge this plague from the galaxy!

neutralentropy, Darklight and Ketoth like this.
  10. Ovrad

Ovrad Aquatic Astronaut

Lovely, it looks really promising. Getting rid of sectors and incorporating them all in the same map is something I really look forward to. It would help tremendously with base building and exploring your surroundings. Even more so with teleporters.

This is also something I`m really looking forward too, I'm not comfortable with the default setup. Make sure you can remap the 1-9 hotkeys as well, Terraria didn't let us and it drove me nuts.

11. Doublejump

Doublejump Space Hobo

Teleporters: Stargates between planets and eventually between servers.

Stargates between planets and eventually

Stargates between planets

Stargates

12. tnt333

tnt333 Star Wrangler

Loving the game already can't wait for more content! will we be able to delete characters anytime soon?

13. WakeTheShark

WakeTheShark Phantasmal Quasar

'Murica

Leak likes this.
  14. R0flw4ffl3z

R0flw4ffl3z Void-Bound Voyager

Such amazing plans :D i can't wait!!

15. Mattomattt

Mattomattt Exits to Find

"Server Commands" Would you be able to go into greater detail on this and will we be able to move any parts of the game to server side rather than client? also is the anti cheat program included under this category or is that still yet to be listed? as im curious as how it will work.

16. Blok Mason

Blok Mason Yeah, You!

Wow! Really excited for the long term plans... Can't wait! Lot of stuff on this list really makes a good deal of sense to implement.

17. Goldmask99

Goldmask99 Void-Bound Voyager

Nooooooooooooooo I don't want a character wipe! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :"(

18. WittyUsername816

WittyUsername816 Poptop Tamer

I still feel like Racial abilities should be tied to the race, not the armor, or at the very least the armor's abilities should be enhanced when being worn by the race it was meant for. Right now I feel like I'm choosing a gear set, not a race.

vanella and Naxdar like this.
  19. Sage221

Sage221 Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, a colorblind mode!

20. Resonant Frequency

Resonant Frequency Void-Bound Voyager

Again, Villager AI....For those of us who like to build, maybe a feature should be implemented whereby you can pay the villager in question a certain amount of pixels, say the furniture's value, in order to take the furniture. However, rifling through storage containers for codexes and all that should be free, because that's lore, and you shouldn't have to pay money for lore.

As for sector exploration...unsure about it. It makes logical sense that we don't know where all the solar systems are, but perhaps we could be able to, say, craft an expensive upgrade that allows us to see everything in a sector, or buy usable maps from vendors that reveal certain areas of the sector. Also, having sectors connected to each other, and having the final one be infinite, seems slightly inconvenient. It might be a better idea to add things like wormholes which connect the sectors, or maybe even make the sectors not sectors, but dimensions instead.