The future of Starbound

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Dec 16, 2013.

1. NonBritGit

NonBritGit Cosmic Narwhal

Here's right where I'll stay until... "the wipe":
    [​IMG]

2. Batt

Batt Big Damn Hero

Great work guys :O you've been working hard. Still dislike the fact that races are purely cosmetic but hey ho, hopefully that might change in the future.

Keep it up :D

3. Shinobi

Shinobi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Desperately need lockable chests, and the ability to CLAIM planets, making them indestructible to potential griefers!

Epsilon52 likes this.
  4. bluesymmetry

bluesymmetry Void-Bound Voyager

Please change when the battle music comes on so the music won't fade in and out every time I engage in a 2 second fight with a monster. Maybe when it's life-threatening/a long fight like about 3 or more monsters. :)

Hilkyshtuff, Leak, vanella and 2 others like this.
  5. Dkmariolink

Dkmariolink Void-Bound Voyager

Holy crap, nice work guys! Can't wait for spaceship combat and conquering!

6. Jaber

Jaber Pangalactic Porcupine

This addresses almost every concern I've had with the game

I'd really like an option for 1x zoom, though

And also no menu shadows

Epsilon52 and Hilkyshtuff like this.
  7. Kingpwn

Kingpwn Big Damn Hero

Ah, stealing the bandits' little abode, eh? A cheap, but practical solution, I must say.

8. Paddon

Paddon Title Not Found

Sounds amazing.

9. willpill35

willpill35 Subatomic Cosmonaut

it all looks good except the racial armor thing i think that it should be a trait for the species that is always active. Haveing it built into armor doesnt make sence expecially for races like the floran who are hunters i dont think they would want their prey to get a hold of there tech and use it against them

10. KitFox

KitFox Pangalactic Porcupine

Really? You dislike it? I love the fact races are cosmetic, makes it so I can pick the race I like the looks of or history of the best without having to sacrifice abilities, just means you do some interracial trading of items. :)

Although, as an alternative middle ground. What if races had abilities, and armors had them too(possibly weaker versions) so say for instance the armor gave a simulated effect for other races to use allowing you to mix and match your native racial ability with that of your armor. :) (Example, Hyotl could breath under water by nature, and Hyotl has armors that add water filtration that vastly improves underwater breathing for non-Hyotl races) Of course, then the question of why the Hyotl would be making armor to simulate a trait they already have is brought into play... Hmmm... Perhaps A tier of racial simulation armors made by a commission of different races blacksmiths desiring to simulate racial traits, I dunno~ Anyway enough of my ramble. :rofl:

I would love to see armors that could mix and match different abilities though~

11. Kelad

Kelad Astral Cartographer

Can't wait until the day I can glass a planet...

12. Goldensun441

Goldensun441 Void-Bound Voyager

Love your game so far Tiy, music is incredible and its a pretty polished interface for stage 1 of beta. appreciate all the work you and your team is doing. Everything on your goal list is awesome and i look forward to whatever you guys develop.

That said, let me throw my nerd fantasy out there: would be cool to have like placeable monster eggs, which when placed in a sorta man-made spawning pool or random generated biome- hatch over a long period of time. would be cool to have an enclosed room in a lab or spaceship which could be used for monster breeding testing. there could even potentially be highly dangerous aggressive spawns which try to kill you in your own ship/base if not properly enclosed.

Epsilon52 likes this.
  13. Bragma

Bragma Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very nice. I look forward to see all the features. The Space battles! Yes!

14. Nerotzx

Nerotzx Master Chief

15. KitFox

I would love to find a planet natively made of glass or unusual materials. I was so hoping the Crystal biome had it's own planet, or maybe a Flesh planet, ect~ I mean there is just so few current planet types it would be cool to add more. And I mean who does not love the idea of a living planet?

I am thrilled to hear that the airless and toxic planets are getting in among other new ideas, this news has made my evening. :) (And biome related disaster weather too, so many praiseworthy ideas in the news list.)

@Tiy & and Devs: You people are amazing and as someone hoping to program someday I can honestly say I love your work and think you are all doing wonderfully. :)

Hilkyshtuff likes this.
  16. Zixc57

Zixc57 Void-Bound Voyager

I love the ideas for the future and i would also suggest a few ideas myself

- Crew for your ship that you can assign jobs (such as mining on the planet you landed on, functioning stations in the ship, etc.) (Got this idea from FTL)
    - To be able to create your own civilization that you can control (economy, politics, civil wars, etc)
    - Create space stations to harbor your citizens around
    - Files on your ship to store past explorations through space
    - Control more than one ship (Commanding a fleet)
    - 3D printer can take special blocks (Panels, Temple Brick, Concrete, etc)

All the current ideas i have made, with plenty more i'm still thinking about.
    I appreciate what you guys have been doing for this game and i would appreciate it more if you could take a few of my ideas inconsideration.
    I might in the future make a forum post for these ideas for the game, and i hope you love my RPG/Strategy/Sandbox/Survival/Space Exploration
    ideas for this amazing game with its potential even larger than the star maps themselves.

Hope you have read my comment!

Thank You, Zixc

(P.S. anyone who reads this give it a like if you would want these ideas implemented, also carry on the flow of ideas while its in development)

- EDIT -

Ello! love the support I have received, and i am excited since it is one of my first post's. I can't find myself creating a forum since i am very shy to post every thing (literally shivering while i type every word of this) and son't really have the time to check, not sure if the developers would see this but i love the feedback from the community

REMEMBER - this is a sandbox game and i want it to grow to be able to satisfy every ones dream game, this is one game that the community can shape during its development. I myself found myself endlessly searching the web for a game that fits as perfectly as Starbound. I have played a few games my self during my wait for the next update (got to tier 10 and haven't found anything else to do in the game. It is alpha) and formed a few ideas!

- (Star Command iOS) Could have a large ship or fleet, personal choice, and command NPC's to function certain aspects of the ship
    - (Endless Space) Could have your home world/civilization grown in influence and can colonize nearby planets
    - Could hire NPC's to do certain jobs (build, mine, explore, etc.)
    - NPC's can hire you to do jobs (save someone, travel, defend)

Much more ideas just coming and going with me. I would love the feedback and you can use this future update post to even pitch in your own ideas. i would love to contact the dev's in some way that i could send my idea's to then but till then ill have to use this new thing called a FORUM... (Forum's are very alien to me)

Thanks for the Support, Zixc

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  17. KarrsGoVroom

KarrsGoVroom Astral Cartographer

Space Battles? Changing Spawn Locations?
    I'm sold. Take my money. All of it.

everfreeDragoness likes this.
  18. fate1122

fate1122 Subatomic Cosmonaut

What ever happened to customizable mechs and vehicles like ships and boats/ cars and hover boards and planes?

Epsilon52 likes this.
  19. ChaseNeiz

ChaseNeiz Subatomic Cosmonaut

NICE! You deserve one of these! :metroid:
    BTW, I am loving the beta!
    Was definitely worth like 8 months of waiting!:p

20. KitFox

They deserve a Metroid? I am not sure if that is a compliment or a death threat. :rofl: *kidding* (Not that we have not all dreamed of the elusive tame pet Metroid of cuteness.)