The elder scroll-series

Discussion in 'Games' started by jeisy, Jul 7, 2016.

?

Best elder-scroll game?

1. I

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. II

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. III

25.0%
  4. IV

25.0%
  5. V

50.0%
  1. jeisy

jeisy Space Hobo

I didnt see any thread about elder scrolls-series so why not to start one?

Im planning currently to play skyrim again, as it is the 3rd best game on my list.

So to all skyrim-players here, what is the best charchacter to play?
    I used nord on my first gameplay, but i feel there is better..

WoogaBooga likes this.
  2. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

At the end of the day there is no good race on Skyrim. They kinda even everything out to the point where it doesn't really matter. In case you can't choose by looks alone here are a few notes though between the races on Skyrim. For the sake of this I am going to assume you not going to care about the once per day abilities.

High Elves start out with +50 magic which normally wouldn't matter on the other games as much but for Skyrim you choose between health, magic and stamina with every level to gain 10 points. So High Elves basically start out with five extra levels though all of it being into magic in that sense. Useful for a mage though magic in Skyrim is broken (in the bad way) in general. The scaling of enemies will always outweigh the amount of magic you can add per level. Download a mod call Better Magic http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/4374/? which will help to fix this somewhat.
    Argonian can breath underwater without using a spell unlike their Oblivion counterpart. You can cure disease for free at any shrine now which are everywhere. A useless race for what would normally be seen as a good racial trait as the resist disease is worthless now.
    Wood Elves resist poisons but beside maybe spiders nothing really use it. Kinda useless.
    Breton resist magic which pretty good as magic users can be annoying if you use melee weapons (which you will most likely end up doing even with Better Magic) but they also start out with a Conjure Familiar spell which is a wolf spirit thing.
    Dark Elves resist fire which is commonly found being used as spells against you, traps and of course the dragons. Not a bad race to play as.
    Imperial passive is "find more gold" which wasn't an issue even from the start. You will have so much gold you will be drowning on it. Buying a ~5000 gold house near the start of the game isn't uncommon as the first three or so dungeons will give you that amount alone.
    Khajiit have a spell that let you see better in darkness and have a passive increase in hand-to-hand combat. As worthless as they can get.
    Nord resist frost and are the main race of Skyrim. While ice spells can be annoying they are somewhat rare.
    Redguard get resist poison
    Lastly Orc don't get anything useful.

So if I must give an order it would be:

Orc, Khajiit, Argonian & Imperial < Redguard & Wood Elves < Nord, High Elves & Breton < Dark Elves

But once again you can play as a Orc and while you basically get nothing but green skin for it you can have as much of an easy time as a Dark Elf or at least until that dragon breath fire on you anyway. At the end of the day the pros and cons shouldn't effect your choice if you want to play as a cat or lizard for furry reasons or whatever. It is extremely stupid of how little your race matters when compare to the older games.

jeisy and MilkCalf like this.
  3. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I have only played Oblivion and Skyrim, so I can't talk about the others. I can't really say wich of those is better. I'd call Oblivion more 'complete' game where as Skyrim is rough around the edges, but then again many things have improved from Oblivion to Skyrim. Sure the dragonborn thing is cool, but ot takes away from the old 'from nobody to hero' thing the serirs has had.
    I've always played as an argonian so I can say that they can breathe underwater in both games. Oblivion still had the breath meter but it didn't deplete.
    And as for the shrines. I newer remember to visit them.

Btw, is there a mod that puts combat and non-combat skills into different level system, so that your lockpicking skill didn't make enemies stronger?

Edit: I always thought only combat skills effected enemy levels, so my response to OP enemis was to increase my smithing skill. :facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  4. Zerukoba

To my knowledge no but I'm sure there is a mod that fix the leveling issue. You can't expect me to know every single mod.

Mostly replying just to post this:

[​IMG]

5. jeisy

jeisy Space Hobo

Thanks for the tips guys! I will use them.

6. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Good luck trying to save people from a dragon:
    [​IMG]

7. Zerukoba

Dragons not as bad as the random vampire attacks. I had to go out of my way to disable the DLC or get a mod to prevent that vampire attack feature or else it seem like no matter what the general trader in Whiterun will ALWAYS die. I had yet have a game where he save alive with the DLC installed with nothing to counteract it.

The game seem somewhat design for dragon attacks as some outside workers have replacements but vampire attacks just seem like a horrible idea that accidentally got left into the game.

Lava Cake and MilkCalf like this.
  8. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Soon I'll have that dlc too. People that own Skyrim will be able to upgrade to the special edition.

9. crazyroosterman

crazyroosterman Hey, You!

personally my first race was argonian because they look sick and eventually kitted him out in archmage robe and that mask whitch gives 100 percent extra mana regeneration looked freaking awesome
    I also did a wood elf character called mire and a khajiit and then I got fed up with the game for a few reasons and never played again.

oblivion though sounds rather interesting it may be something I have a crack at in due time particularly the lack of quest markers providing im not going mad and that was an actual thing in oblivion.

10. Mort Faux

Mort Faux Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've got a mod for Skyrim that makes NPCs that aren't guards, or other fighty type folks (see, companions) run indoors during dragon or vampire attacks. Makes me far less concerned about picking up someone important with the console from the inevitable pile of ashes.

11. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Hoooo boy... why dontcha try a custom race? I recommend the Lykaios, tho I am unsure if their author still has them available on the Nexus site. They are pretty balanced and have a lot of detail put into them for a mod made by one single person. If custom races arent yer cup o tea theres always those mods that make the game a lot more playable AkA more difficult, so you just dont whack thru enemies til you get bored.

*or new lands mods*

12. Zerukoba

Ok, Xylia and I got somewhat into a friendly debate on an unrelated thread about the changes with the mechanics between the games (can be dumb down to saying which game we think is better) and while at the end it really up to personal opinions and we can only agree to disagree on some points I really like to heard people opinions even if they conflict with my own.

Here are my opinions. Feel free to disagree with them.

Arena Is something I could never get into as it doesn't feel like a TES game as I know it as now. The game just have the stereotypical single level bar.
    Daggerfall is a randomize mess. Also just too dated for me. I love the character creator where you can hand pick your pros and cons but beyond that I can't say the game was that enjoyable. The random enemies that can randomly spawn while sleeping pretty much encourage save scamming.
    I love Morrowind for the hand made world and non-level scaled enemies. I can understand why people may hate the combat but personally I love it or at least like it enough to give it a pass. The main flaw(s) are the endless glitches. Unarmored require you to be wearing at least one armor equipment to work iirc for example. Also the fact I can't complete every quest with one character bug my OCD but oddly enough I love the game for that as well as you have real choices. Also being a Werewolf/Vampire gave real punishments for the hopefully worthy boosts.
    Oblivion would easily be a 10/10 and I might like it better than Morrowind but oh my god the ugly ass faces prevent me from enjoying it without mods. It also had leveling issues and the level scaling was just stupid as bandits could be wearing armor endgame that would allow them to live like kings if they were just to sold it. Skyrim at least fix that much in terms of equipment though the level issue is even worst.
    Skyrim is a good game and I still play it. I just hate the pacing of the story, the fact the leveling issue still exist as bandits can have god-like levels of health, other leveling issues exist such as enemies health increase as stated and no amount of magic points can keep up with that meaning your 10 damage flame or whatever will only become overall weaker as you level as a mage and to me that is just stupid if not outright punishing to the player, the clear lack of love put into the dungeons and many other things that drag it down. Also some mechanics such as vampire attacks as stated earlier in the thread seem to be added without any testing. I don't hate Skyrim, I just hate all of the wasted potential that it had. Skyrim could easily beat both Morrowind and Oblivion if it had the same amount of love put into it.

Unmodded: Morrowind > Oblivion > Skyrim
    Modded: Oblivion > Skyrim > Morrowind

crazyroosterman and MilkCalf like this.
  13. crazyroosterman

ive only played skyrim and while i enjoyed it for the most part apart from the mentioned scaling issues which drove me mental and the garbage ai (it could have at least been consistent) i have to ask what are those draw backs without vampirism and werewolfism? are the draw backs for vampirism the same as in skyrim? because i loved that part but being a werewolf was so bloody op
    especially when you got the super ring
    i found being a werewolf with my wood elf fun though because of my self imposed rules being that i had to sleep for 24 hours after a transformation and eat a load of food.

MilkCalf likes this.
  14. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

In Skyrim I usually go as a Nord. Usually the nord ends up with my real name.

In Oblivion I usually go as a Breton. This Breton (or sometimes Imperial, depends on when I want to start on something new) is commonly named Grimwerth Gromgard.

15. Mort Faux

Mort Faux Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is actually exactly how I rank them myself.

I'll admit I do a bit of the nostalgia goggles for Morrowind, but so much of the base story in Skyrim is bleh to me, and doesn't really feel like I'm interacting with the world as much as I do with Morrowind or Oblivion. I like the overall story the best in Morrowind, and dont mind that the game has a much slower pace to it, and I honestly dont mind the lack of fast travel all that much. Adding in the fact I can play Morrowind right off my flashdrive with mods on pretty much any modern PC makes it a fun game for taking around with me.

Oblivion, though, probably is the one I've got the most time into. Heavily modded of course, once you get past their attempt at scaled level lists and fix the faces, I found it to be really enjoyable. Also had my favorite assassin's guild questline, which is generally one of the things most people want to do in ES games I seem to notice. We all know the "and then there were fewer" story concept, but it's far more fun when you're the one doing the killing.

Skyrim looks pretty, and the combat generally feels good, but took much more modding than Oblivion for me to really enjoy the game. I like playing an assassin, but sneak is too powerful due to bad AI. I like playing a mage, but vanilla magic system in Skyrim feels like a case of right direction, fallen too short, and oddly the mage quests are easier if you are not a mage, since you will mostly be facing, well ,mages who use magic shield spells.

All in all, I really like the series, especially with the mod community that's been built up around them. I just think Bethesda in general needs a better writing team than the past few years. Whoever's doing it now should take an arrow to the knee.

(Also I did actually once get to play the mobile phone version of oblivion. It was cute, when it worked. xD )

WoogaBooga and MilkCalf like this.
  16. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

So true. I feel like Skyrims assasination missions where like 'kill this random person' or 'we couldn't find another quest for this dungeon' (Someone actually asks you to kill a bandit leader). But in Oblivion there is a mission to kill someone with a trap in their home.

17. jeisy

jeisy Space Hobo

What is your favorite guild guys? Mine is thieves guild.

18. crazyroosterman

I only remember there being 2 guilds in Skyrim that at least were called guilds any way so by default it would be the mages since I never did the thief's guild.

19. jeisy

jeisy Space Hobo

Oh sorry, i failed this one. It has been long since i played skyrim.
    Well, what mods you guys can recommend for starting?

20. crazyroosterman

but for the record my favourite ,group, guild or other wise are the dark brother hood it was a pretty fun and memorable quest line which actually makes use of your stealth skills
    but mods? I played it on my poor old Xbox which never gets used any more so I got nothing there for you.