The Dyson Swarm

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by IxFa, Aug 2, 2017.

1. IxFa

IxFa Pangalactic Porcupine

In the thread where I detailed the construction of a Kardashev II civilization (total advancement within your own star system, pre-inter-stellar), I build up to why some civilization out there had to have created a Dyson Swarm / Dyson Sphere. If you read the thread you can see the logic to it, but here's the summary:
    [​IMG]
    A Dyson Swarm is a series of structures built around the sun to use as close to 100% of the low-entropy energy produced by the sun as possible. As it stands, a planet can hardly use 5%. The overwhelming majority of energy flies helplessly off into space. With other planets being such an immense distance away, that energy is spread too thinly to be used by anyone elsewhere in the universe. That energy is wasted.

In Starbound, all the technology you could ever really need to streamline the construction of a Dyson Swarm is there. In fact, much less tech is needed than they have. Again, this is detailed in my aforementioned discussion post.

It may be a bit of an undertaking to do it justice, but in parts we should be able to show at least one Dyson Sphere in galaxy. Some great colossal monument to the power of intelligent life. A fusion reactor 333,000 times more massive than Earth itself being realised to its true potential - and that's assuming it's a yellow dwarf like our own sun.

Someone, somehow, devise a way to represent a dyson sphere in Starbound.

Lazarus Mandas likes this.
  2. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Apex Miniknog substitutes Genesis Coil with a Dyson sphere? Apex Rebels want you to help them take it out.

*Commence Star Wars Episode 4*

Halixon Starfire and Quillon like this.