Traditional The Diary of Val Sinclair

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by RoboticRose, Jul 14, 2016.

1. RoboticRose

RoboticRose Lucky Number 13

Like the title suggests this is just going to be a simple diary story following my character Val Sinclair as she starts her new life in Stardew Valley. I hope everyone enjoys it :)

The diary updates will all be posted in this top post for the sake of convenience

Spring 1, Year 1

Dear diary,

This may be the best decision of my life. I've finally done it, I marched into my bosses office handed him my letter of resignation, and told him where he could shove that stupid toupee I've been pretending to like for the past two years as opposed to treating it like the crime against nature it is. And with all that said and done I couldn't happier.

It turns out grandpa left his farm to Jenn when he passed a few years ago but since she has the baby on the way and never got around to doing anything with it she decided to give the deed to me. Which means goodbye Joja hello Stardew Valley for me.

I won't deny I never pictured myself as a farmer, I mean I knew Grandpa had his farm and was doing really well with it but I always pictured myself in a nice corner office overlooking the city from the top floor of some skyscraper somewhere, which is why I got that job at Joja in the first place under the impression that I could work my way up the ladder. But after the two years of suffering at that place with nothing to show for it I'm open for a change of plans. Sure it may not be what I imagined but it's better than going another year without any hint of a promotion or raise from those jerks.

Nope, no more of that for me. I'm a strong willed lady of fortune and I'm going to take over that farm and finally get the life I've always dreamed of. It may not be a penthouse over the city but hey a nice mansion in the country is a good plan B, and in the meantime Joja can go to hell. I still can't believe I spent two years there slaving away at that place, well no more. From here on out everything is coming up Val Sinclair and I'm going to show everyone as I rake in my newfound fortune.

I mean how hard can it be, the old geezer was what? 90 something years old and was running the farm?

This will be a cake walk.

Yep, best decision of my life.

Spring 1, Year 1

Dear Diary,

Okay slight set back to the whole "Screw Joja, take over farm, make massive amounts of money" idea. I was expecting the farm when I got here would be mostly as Grandpa left it. I mean come on it's only been a few years since he croaked it's not unreasonable to expect that I could just pick up where he left off. Maybe a few repairs and clean up but still.

Well it turns out that isn't true at all. I got to the farm today and the place was a disaster. I always heard about how well the old guy did with this place but looking at it he had to either have been lying through his teeth or had done absolutely nothing beyond planting because there aren't even any remains of fences or anything to start off from, just this massive mess of trees and debris across the entire plot that has to be cleaned up.

So yeah, first step of this plan and I run right into a tree, and then fall onto a rock, and get tangled in some bushes... blegh...

Oh and then there's the house. Again I was always told stories of Grandpa and his oh so prosperous farm but you really wouldn't know it by looking. I mean okay, maybe he made his fortune off of just planting crops and didn't need other buildings or anything, that's reasonable. But he also lived in a small (and I mean SMALL) one bedroom hut with barely enough room to sneeze comfortably. I'm really starting to think good old gramps was full of **** with all his stories. Honestly I should have seen it coming with some of the ridiculous things he used to tell Jenn and I about forest spirits that looked like apples and a wizard who lived outside of town. I figured those were just stories he told to us when we were kids to make us laugh but I didn't think that success was all a load of bull as well. But at the moment it's looking like it was.

Oh well though, no sense being too negative about it. I'm stuck here now. I quit my job, moved out of my apartment and spent most of my savings moving out here. There's no turning back, and besides what was it Dad always used to say? "Nobody ever got anywhere by sitting around." Well it's time to take that advice. I cleared a patch this morning and will be all set to start planting tomorrow even if it will just be a small patch. Gotta start somewhere and all that. This setback won't stop me, If the farm is a mess then I'll clear it and turn it into something, if the house is small I'll earn the money to add on to it and build it up, if all of grandpa's stories of success were lies then I'll rise past it and do better than he ever did. This won't stop me. One year. That's my goal. Give me one year and I will turn this place around and make my fortune. Just wait and see.

Now optimism aside I'm headed to town for the evening, I need a drink.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    • Alkanthe

Alkanthe Supernova

I love it so far! Wonder how this fiery lady will take to life in the valley?

RoboticRose likes this.
      • RoboticRose

I'm betting roughly :p She's got visions of mansions and dollar signs meanwhile we all know whats awaiting her when she actually gets to the farm :rofl:

Risukage, Gabaw and Alkanthe like this.
        • CjBeats

CjBeats Weight of the Sky

This was good. I love how she quit, that was great. I'm excited to see what comes next!

RoboticRose and Alkanthe like this.
          • Risukage

Risukage Giant Laser Beams

Whoo, more writing is taking place on the forums! I'm continuing to get a kick out of everyone's different style of writing as well as the character's motivation for moving to Pelican Town. I look forward to more updates, so post as you can, but don't sacrifice quality for quantity. :)

RoboticRose, Gabaw and Alkanthe like this.
            • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

A chipper story thus far :confirm: Sounds like it's gonna be a fun ride. Welcome to the SDV fanfiction community. You're on the winning team!

RoboticRose and Alkanthe like this.
              • RoboticRose

New diary entry is up and I did some formatting so that I don't just have a huge wall of text for the first post.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
                  Gabaw and Risukage like this.