1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Builders Paradox (Improve your builds) Tutorials

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SivCorp, Mar 19, 2016.

?

What level of builder are you?

1. A hole in the ground will do.

30 vote(s)
    8.5%
  2. Boxes as far as the eye can see!

98 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. It looks like the plans.

103 vote(s)
    29.3%
  4. Sure, I'd live there.

92 vote(s)
    26.1%
  5. The Sistine Chapel? Yeah I built that.

29 vote(s)
    8.2%
  1. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

The blocks come from the Avali race mod mostly, some come from the Avikan race mod too. The ship hull parts are my own rework of madtulips spaceship mod, and some custom stuff too. The mechs come from XS mechs, the shuttles from Customizable shuttlecraft mod, and the large industrial units and core parts are from Idle miners mod.

2. ratkintheoverestimated

ratkintheoverestimated Phantasmal Quasar

That is very cool. Hopefully you might consider releasing the reworked mods to the public one day. Either way, a really fantastic build.

SivCorp likes this.
  3. SivCorp

I do plan on releasing it... but I've got more to add, and I've got to get recipes done for it and other technical stuff (that I hate doing, and therefore haven't yet done).
    I also have the novakid stuff I've got to get added.... for I have yet to see any nova love for their ships yet.

TheFloranChef and Waffle-Chan like this.
  4. SivCorp

Quick tutorial for using the Base in a Box mod....

1 - Build the science workbench and get an area scanning console and a red scanning marker to attach to it.

2 - Build your item to copy. For me, I'll use my tug as an example -
    [​IMG]
    3 - Place your scanning console at the Bottom Left side of your item to copy, and place the scanning marker at the Top Right side. Wire the two nodes together with a wire tool. The scanner works by scanning the space between the two points of the console and the marker.

4 - activate the scanner and select your options from the menu.
    [​IMG]
    You can clear the area when it activates, give a printer (which is the item that saves the work), drop the contents after scanning to save your materials, and save to the starbound.log file. You can also name your printout, select an icon for it, and specify how many printouts you want (they stack). Once you have made your selection, hit the activate square.

5 - Using your printout, place it on a platform to deploy it. it will scan the space with a horizontal bar that travels up and down repeatedly to show you the size of the printout.
    [​IMG]

6 - Activate the printer and wait for it to print your creation. It may take several minutes for large builds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 - Enjoy your creations wherever you put them!

5. Yirro

Yirro Void-Bound Voyager

You're a monster of spaceship building, nice one and nice tutorial ! Also, the things like cannon and "part of vanilla ships" are from Madtulip's spaceship mod ?

6. SivCorp

Thank you!
    Yes, my custom mod is a expansion and edit of Madtulips mod.

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  7. Landwatch

Landwatch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thanks so much for this tutorial! My visual processing is very bad but I still want to make nice houses!

Waffle-Chan and SivCorp like this.
  8. SivCorp

Glad it was useful for you :)
    Make sure to share your work with us all in the screenshot section ;)

Landwatch and Waffle-Chan like this.
  9. David The OCD Victim

David The OCD Victim Seal Broken

I think it's my limit when it goes about vehicle-like housings in vanilla.
    But still something is amiss.

Zrzut ekranu 2017-11-02 13.55.46.png

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  10. SivCorp

It looks good for a little runabout sub... The problem I see with it is inconsistency in hull materials. The front is completely different from the back, is that intentional? I think that is the only thing that really throws the design off for me.

11. David The OCD Victim

David The OCD Victim Seal Broken

Honestly... It was intentional. The back didn't look good enough for me with rough edges, the front didn't look good enough with white border. I can fix that.

Meanwhile I went back to doing village with Hylotl style.
    Zrzut ekranu 2017-11-06 10.33.27.png

Zrzut ekranu 2017-11-06 10.33.38.png

SivCorp likes this.
  12. Kiyan Bloodthorn

Kiyan Bloodthorn Orbital Explorer

Pro-tip: If you want to just practice building, look for a starter planet and 'rebuild' ruined structures that litter the scenery. The remaining 'foundations' will usually be enough of a guide in what to put where and will give you a better idea of how to build from scratch.

13. SivCorp

Update: Many of the custom assets are now part of the FU mod itself. Enjoy :)

14. Landwatch

Landwatch Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nahi's House with weathervane.jpg

I'm very proud of it! I'm going to add some windows later!

I've had to work pretty hard in order to make something this good, and following your instructions helped a lot. Thank you so much.

SivCorp and Waffle-Chan like this.
  15. Qtw

Qtw Phantasmal Quasar

hey that looks nice!

better than what i normally do.

SivCorp likes this.
  16. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

You really have a good tutorials and tips, SivCorp! You open my mind to build according the environment. Now, I need to renovate many of my houses that I build before. The only problem I have right now is where in the universe i get the furniture from each race, because I build many houses according to the style of each race. It would take me to explore many planet just to find the merchant that sells the furniture I need. It is very tedious. Anyway, thank again!

SivCorp likes this.
  17. Malfar

Malfar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I once built a pyramid. It was huge. Like, enormous. It contained a maze of living rooms, libraries, shrines, museums, restrooms, expo halls, arcade halls. I used the available and unavailable in-game furniture thanks to Galactic Shops, I used the furniture from mods such as Castlevania, Prop Pack and Immersive Props. And then I downloaded a new version of Frackin Universe and my char stopped loading. That only means...beware, empty planets, a new pyramid is on the way!

18. ShädSans

ShädSans Orbital Explorer

SivCorp
    First, sorry for the necro-post. secondly what blocks are these?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Waffle-Chan likes this.
  19. Wa.luigi.time

Wa.luigi.time Subatomic Cosmonaut

Could you do a tutorial about skyscrapers and cities? I would like to make one encased in several domes on a lava ocean planet. And do you know a way to make bigger screenshots? I've seen a couple of screenshots that would fill several screens but they didn't look edited together...

20. ShädSans

ShädSans Orbital Explorer