1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed THE BUGS WE ALREADY KNOW: Frequently reported issues

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by GreyMaria, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

I used to have that gun. :c
    The shots are delayed, and their slow speed can negate contact vanishing in close spaces like that.

2. Russy

Russy Pangalactic Porcupine

But they aren't vanishing, they're sliding along the surface. I can do it on the planet surface too, and it still damages enemies when it slides into the

3. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

4. Doublejho

Doublejho Existential Complex

Oh, then I'm not sure. It looked just like mine as well. :/
    You sure they're definitely vanishing?

5. Crisjin

Crisjin Intergalactic Tourist

So I tried to do the fix for spawning outside of your ship, and I didn't know how to find my files without finder, so I just used finder, and sure enough I have to re-install. How is it possible to find files on mac without the finder?

6. Odat

Odat Big Damn Hero

You can use the Terminal application to find and edit files (or more accurately, you can use command line tools from a terminal), but you need to know what you're doing so it's generally best avoided if you're not 100% sure what you're doing.

Without getting into specifics on how to use the find command to find files, if you're on a Mac and you need to edit the player.config file so that you can get yourself back into the ship, you can perform the following steps. NOTE: This was done on a Mac running MacOS X 10.9.1, so I don't know if the path might be different for other versions)

1. Open the Terminal application (LaunchPad/Other, or just seach for Terminal in the LaunchPad search window)
    2. When the terminal opens, enter the following:
      Code:
      open -e "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/player.config"
      and hit enter.

On my Mac at least, this doesn't create a .DS_Store file so this should be safe. Note that the double quotes are important because the Application Support directory has a space in its name.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  7. Crisjin

Crisjin Intergalactic Tourist

K thanks for the help but its too late now and I can't play even if I uninstall. Yipee

8. Odat

Odat Big Damn Hero

I think that's because the steam uninstall only removes files that it put there, so it probably left some broken files behind including the .DS_Store files that are causing your woes.

You might be able to fix it by finding the files with Finder and removing the entire directory structure for Starbound, then try a Steam Uninstall/Reinstall to put everything back again.

9. Odat

Odat Big Damn Hero

OK, IF you have a Mac AND your Starbound doesn't work/crashes AND you think it's because there is a .DS_Store file laying about that's hosing things AND you trust me:

1. Open the Terminal application (LaunchPad/Other, or just seach for Terminal in the LaunchPad search window)
    2. When the terminal opens, enter the following:
      Code:
      find "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/" -name .DS_Store -exec rm {} \; -print
      and hit enter (the double quotes and the backslash before the semicolon are important so don't forget them)
    What this does is find all of the files named .DS_Store that are found in the Starbound directory (or any subdirectories under it) and execute the rm command to remove them. It will then print the name of the file that it erased (if any).

If you run it and you see no output, it means you have no .DS_Store files, so that's not the reason for your crashing.

If you run it and you see it say something that ends with "No such file or directory", then the path in the double quotes doesn't lead to your steam directory.

If you don't trust that this isn't going to erase the contents of your hard drive or something, then don't run it.

Zeeps and BeLe like this.
  10. Slappy Bags

Slappy Bags Space Hobo

So does anyone have a fix for this on mac?

11. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

What is "this"?

12. Slappy Bags

Slappy Bags Space Hobo

O Sorry, I thought it got posted to the 'Stuck above spaceship' thread. I have the same, problem, I put some stuff above my teleporter and now I am teleporting back into space from planets. I saw that another player fixed it by increasing his matter manipulators range so he can get into his bed from outside. Can you step me through this? (I am on a mac)

13. GreyMaria

With the instructions I linked in the other thread, and the additional instructions written in this post, you should be able to handle it easily, even if you do use Finder to get into the Starbound folder. Use my post, then the post I just linked, in that order.

14. Slappy Bags

Slappy Bags Space Hobo

So when I went through these steps, I first created a new character and copied his .shipworld onto my desktop, then deleted his 3 files. Then I went to change the initialbeamgunradius to 150.5, before that I tried changing the interact radius as well. When I did this, when trying to open starbound through steam, the program quit unexpectedly and continues to do so every time I try and open it. Have I royally screwed myself?

15. AnonymousLyric

AnonymousLyric Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but the little lanterns that you can hang on walls also cannot be scanned into the 3D printer.

16. GreyMaria

What you haven't realized is that you have to clean out the .ds_store files that Finder leaves behind. Use the command provided a few posts up to clean them out. Starbound CHOKES on these files.

Also, you didn't need to change the initialbeamgunradius.

17. TarrantHightopp

TarrantHightopp Intergalactic Tourist

I have found a few problems.
    1. Game will crash at a few times when quitting and saving
    2. I have to beam down a ton of times before it will actually put me on the planet.
    3. When beaming to or from the ship, or quickly changing locations, the game will generate a loud screeching sound.

18. GreyMaria

This is not your personal bug reporting thread. Please only bring issues that you have witnessed others reporting repeatedly and be sure to read the thread to make sure it hasn't been submitted already.

19. TarrantHightopp

TarrantHightopp Intergalactic Tourist

Ok, the crash and screeching noises may be personal glitches, but if the spaceship beaming is a personal glitch, then explain this video of someone else experiencing the exact same

20. GreyMaria

It's already listed, with an explanation and a workaround. Read the first post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.