1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed THE BUGS WE ALREADY KNOW: Frequently reported issues

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by GreyMaria, Dec 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreyMaria

GreyMaria Existential Complex

I know, I know, this is like talking to a bunch of lemmings, but I'm hoping that some of the more intelligent users will spot this thread and check it before reporting something they encounter that everyone else has already seen twice.

THIS IS NOT YOUR OWN PERSONAL SUPPORT THREAD. PLEASE DO NOT POST YOUR OWN PROBLEMS IN HERE.

Let's try to make this thread a complete list of the most commonly reported issues.
    If you notice more than two reports of the same issue, bring it in here!

Important Things to Read
    DO NOT BUILD ABOVE YOUR TELEPORTER. This will cause you to become stuck on top of your spaceship! You should be able to solve the problem by using this method.

I think that should cover the recent floods of issues.

-----------------------

- Game-Breaking (or Crashing) Issue
    - Minor Issue
    - Unconfirmed Issue

General Gameplay Help! I've fallen to the bottom of the world and I can't get up!
    - USB headsets will often fail in one way or another. Nobody's quite sure why. Really, just use 3.5mm jacks for now...

-----------------------
    Shipboard Shenanigans One to beam up, Scotty. OH SWEET MERCIFUL KLUEX I CAN'T BREATHE
    - DO NOT BUILD ANYTHING ABOVE YOUR TELEPORTER. In fact, don't build in your teleporter room at all. You're liable to get stuck OUTSIDE your spaceship.
    - Uranium has the same value as a smelted Fuel Rod. Don't smelt your Uranium into fuel rods, as you lose half the fuel by doing that.

-----------------------
    Item Issues What do you mean, my lightning axe can't cut down trees?
    - Tree saplings do not yet have a naming system implemented.
    - Two-handed elemental weapons have a different element when used with the right mouse button.

-----------------------
    Planetary Problems Two to beam down, Scotty. I said beam DOWN!
    - Teleporting to planets still fails on frequent occasion in singleplayer. This is because the planet is still loading. Wait a few moments and try again. Pick some crops while you wait.
    - Liquids that have cavern constructs generated through them will not update, causing the liquid to fly.
    - Falling out of a suspended ("flying") liquid may cause severe fall damage.
    - Random encounter blocks will sometimes be colored with the hue-shift of the nearby terrain, resulting in pre-painted blocks that refuse to stack together with normal blocks. This causes problems when the blocks are indistinguishable when hue-shifted, creating the illusion of identical blocks that won't stack together. The bug, of course, is that these blocks are generated with hue-shifted patches in the first place. (This does create neat effects, though, such as blue-colored Avian temple blocks.)

-----------------------
    Combat Complications How do I shot bullet?

- Monster hitboxes do not match up well to their sprites.
    - Projectiles may appear to graphically connect but never cause damage.
    - Projectiles may connect and cause damage but graphically continue through the monster.
    - It's still possible to swing a melee weapon to strike a monster around blocks, as long as there's some opening.
    - Fish, which are technically monsters, will fly in the air if knocked out of the water in a low-gravity planet.

-----------------------
    Boss Blunders You have to burn the rope.
    - Various issues with Bone Dragon's fireballs, including the fireballs passing through players standing on the ground.

-----------------------
    Crafting Concerns Five thousand pixels for a TOILET?
    - The Survival System backpack is unlocked with Gamma sector, but can't be crafted with anything but Durasteel, which is unlocked with Delta sector.
    - Many items are scannable, but not reproducible. These include:
    - - NPC spawners, such as the Doctor and Wizard Spawners

-----------------------
    Decoration Dysfunction Cut the blue wire? There is no blue wire!
    - The Prison Control Panel object graphically vanishes when used. It's not known if this is intended.

-----------------------
    Multiplayer Mayhem omfg i blew up my gf with a rocket launchr fix it plz
    - An item duplication bug involving logging out and back in while someone is on your spaceship.

-----------------------

I'll try to update this thread every now and then to keep it mostly up to date. Bring in anything you see reported multiple times!

I do apologize if the list is a bit difficult to follow. Suggestions for making it more usable are welcome.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    BlackJonathan, BRAWW and infinitetech like this.
  2. Rhyperion

Rhyperion Space Spelunker

You forgot that people still have items. My avian still has all the unlegit items and crashes everytime :l

3. GreyMaria

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.

krokkoguy likes this.
  4. Russy

Russy Pangalactic Porcupine

Going to add one, I had a gun that before this patch had bullets that ricocheted off of surfaces, but now when the bullets hit a surface they just slide along it until it hits a corner

5. GreyMaria

This sounds like a function of a legendary gun. I've never seen a projectile weapon that bounced off of surfaces. Do you recall which gun it was? If it's a legendary weapon and it's reproducible...

6. Russy

Hold on let me check, need to open the game. The bullets still damage enemies while they slide which is kind of funny, but it's not as useful as when they bounced

Edit: It's not a legendary gun, it's a rare gun. I recorded what happened and am about to turn it into a gif

3 edits later I fixed my mistakes in my edit ;_;

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  7. Rhyperion

Rhyperion Space Spelunker

The character wipe didn't work on my characters.

8. GreyMaria

There's no character wipe. It's just a universe wipe.

9. Russy

[​IMG]
    There we go, thats what happens

10. Shodukai

Shodukai Void-Bound Voyager

where did you find that gun:geek:
    I want it now xD

11. Daedelon

Daedelon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Saplings off trees don't have official names and are named as <todo> even though some of them don't stack on top of each other or have different graphics (for different trees they come off of).

12. GreyMaria

This was in General. I've moved it to Items because whoops.

13. Russy

I found it in an x sector gun merchant I believe, I don't remember the coords :p

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  14. endfailure

endfailure Astral Cartographer

Hey, me and my buddy were playing before the update and just got to Gamma sector. If we recraft the starmap would that regen the worlds in gamma to have dungeons?

15. GreyMaria

No, it wouldn't regenerate any of the planets that have already been visited.

This thread isn't for support, though. It's for consolidating frequently reported bugs that keep showing up despite being easily found with a search.

16. Gerbil1233

Gerbil1233 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm stuck outside my ship!! Help? image.jpg

17. GreyMaria

Okay, first things first, you can take a screenshot of your computer using a function of the PRINT SCREEN key on your keyboard. I'm not familiar with your overpriced rebranded Linux-based operating system, so you'll have to look up instructions on how to do that on a Mac.

Did you get stuck on top of your spaceship? Read this post.

Second, you're on top of your ship because you placed blocks in your teleporter room. Don't do that.

The spawn point is actually being moved when you get put up there. This is bad, because it means that temporary fixes are a pain in the ass, but we can get around this!

READ THIS NOTE IF YOU ARE ON A MAC: It is important NOT to use Finder to browse the Starbound folders! Finder leaves behind invisible .ds_store files that cause Starbound to basically self-destruct upon encountering them.

Prepare a brand new .shipworld of your chosen species by creating a new character, then copy that file to someplace safe like your Desktop.

You can find player data by going to Steam and right-clicking the Starbound entry in your library. Go to Properties, then the Local Files tab. Click "Browse Local Files" and browse to the "player" folder. Sort the contained files by Date Modified. The last character you played will be the most recently modified file group. This should be the new player; copy that .shipworld file to your Desktop and delete that player's three files.

You should still be in your Starbound data files. Back up to the main Starbound folder, then go to assets/player.config and edit that with your favorite plaintext editor. Change line 329:
    Code:
    "interactRadius" : 5.5,
    to
    Code:
    "interactRadius" : 500.5,
    and you'll be able to use your Captain's Chair to re-enter your ship. Once you're there, move everything you want to keep dirtside (this means take it off your ship and put it on a planet). Exit Starbound, then REPLACE your character's .shipworld with the .shipworld you copied to the desktop. Change the filename to match the UUID of the bugged player, then start the game back up. You should return to the inside of your ship.

This has been happening frequently. I'll add it to the list.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  18. Gerbil1233

how do you edit the line?

19. Gerbil1233

well, where do you go to edit the line? :/

20. GreyMaria

Go to Steam and right-click the Starbound entry in your library. Go to Properties, then the Local Files tab. Click "Browse Local Files", then go to the "assets" folder and open player.config with an appropriate plain-text editor. (I use Notepad++ on Windows; you might ask your Mac buddies what they recommend for reading and editing generic code files.)

If you have just a plain text editor akin to Notepad with no formatting, just look for the initialBeamGunRadius and change the number following it to 150.5, then save the file. Do not add any new linebreaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.