1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The Big Big ape let down. Seriously only one Quest!?!?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by General Nuclear, May 19, 2017.

1. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

if there has ever been a enemy in starbound that we have wanted to fight more then ever in starbound then it have to be big ape.
    there are already so much fan fiction on big ape and his army already and even before the game came out of the beta.

we had heard so much about big ape in the beta and we where so hyped to go against him, i didn't mind the plot twist that much even though i mean that it could have been don so much differently and better even with the way it was don. but what we really do mind is the shortness of the quest line and how simple it was.

I for ones was really let down when i discovered that there was only one quest with big ape,
    i mean really? this major huge advanced empire that got its civilization spread across the galaxy, and he is holding till on a tiny microscopically small ''secret'' laboratory that everyone seems to know about, on a deserted jungle planet with barely any security and absolutely minimal protection, we could have taken out the hole base with our pre upgraded space ship in one swoop, if we only known how to operate the weapons on it. even the smallest tyrans have a personal army on about one hundred to a thousand man protecting him.

i was expecting a Huge advanced oppressed civilization planet like the cardassian capital planet. with propaganda tv screens on and in every building and soldiers patrolling the streets.

(yeah i know the plot twist but even then he should have been holding up in a bigger place, we could have been beam down on a building)

cardassian capital..png

cardassian capital...png
    cardassian capital.png

going a bit off topic here if there is one thing i have learn from bethesda then it is that a good story made bad is not written in stone. like the origianl story on fallout 3. it was horrible before it was changed and it was changed aftther release i feel bad for the one that pre ordered.
    Any way you guys can change the story if you want to or you could even continue and with the real leaders behind the miniknog. there are alot you guys can do just what ever you do don't stop the apex quest line there.

i highly suggest that you guys try out the cult classic [Beneath a steel sky] its free on gog for some inspiration and it got a similar plot.
    upload_2017-5-19_14-29-22.png

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    Noobgalaxies likes this.
  2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

The entire Lore of Starbound was shrinked into a single quest thingy, very very sad. even more to know you had to fight Big Ape (or at least one of his instances). Makes no sense on so many levels.
    So the "lone hero protectorate graduation guy" just came in and did what the entire rebellion couldn't do. Ok, there were some other NPC's involved, buw wow felt so cheap star wars like "a bunch of people blow up the evil death star" story kind of derp.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Noobgalaxies and General Nuclear like this.
  3. Lintton

Lintton Guest

If you are aware of the plot twist, then you realize that the miniknog are not actually set back by the defeat the rebels gave them and may even include sparing the rebels as a means to control the population. There could very well be a "Big Ape" person or a leader among them, but the cultural power of "Big Ape" is but another weapon used in the war.

The twist doesn't remove the chance of Miniknog leadership gazing upon all they have built with godlike arrogance and a chianti, indeed, it makes them all the more untouchable from the peasants.

LtBlujay, STCW262 and General Nuclear like this.
  4. Tsukistar

Tsukistar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty sure it was just a defense system created in the image of how they perceive Big Ape - not actually Big Ape.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Pretty sure it started out as the original Big Ape, and then got modified to the point that we see currently. Although, quite frankly, making a small settlement on an out-of-the-way planet makes a lot of sense when you're hiding a galaxy-level secret. In addition, I doubt the Miniknog wouldn't have made at least a few backups. On the other hand, at most, it wasted the resources spent on the projectors, which is a minimal expense given the size of the Miniknog, but it also potentially caused a pause in all major surveillance technology of the Miniknog for the time that it took them to get a backup up and running, which is a major help to Apex revolutionaries, and if they kept research notes kept solely inside that base for the aforementioned galaxy-level secret reason, they've potentially lost anywhere from a day's to years of work and refinement of their main surveillance system.

General Nuclear likes this.