1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The backgrounds. Why are the edges lower res than the rest of the game?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Baleur, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Baleur

Baleur Phantasmal Quasar

I honestly just wish the background images were of the same "pixel resolution" as the rest of the art in the game.
    It's so weird and immersion breaking to see HUGE janky pixels in the background while the foreground is nice, small and detailed.
    I'm just talking about the actual curves and edges, obviously the background detail is lower to not interfere with the foreground.
    But those massive jaggy pixellated edges man... Totally ruin the nice views.

It would look so much nicer and coherent with the rest of the game visuals if it looked something like this instead.
    Just a simple blur filter or something, to make the backgrounds seem more distant and "foggy". Not so extremely eye-hurting sharp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Raybrandt

Raybrandt Jackpot!

Fairly certain these are old and they're fixed up now. At least from what I've seen.

3. Soggytoast

Soggytoast Void-Bound Voyager

I am pretty happy with the jagged edges in the background. It is a pixel art game afterall and pixel art has jagged edges on round surfaces.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  4. Baleur

Baleur Phantasmal Quasar

Every playthrough i've seen still shows the old usual huge jaggies background art.
    Yeah but there is pixel art, and then there's pixel art getting in the way of the aesthetic of the game.
    There's no need to have the backgrounds THAT excessively jaggy. The backgrounds should look distant.

Exxil3d likes this.
  5. Quantum

Quantum Spaceman Spiff

Maybe to create some illusion of depth? In the recent showcase of streams/videos I've seen some really good looking combinations of foreground/background and some really terrible ones it really depends on how the planet generates.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  6. Cheeseball

Cheeseball Aquatic Astronaut

I don't know. To me the pixelated background just fits with the 16-bit theme of the game.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  7. SolidSnake

SolidSnake Existential Complex

Im pretty sure the backgrounds will be updated

8. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

They are just place holders most likely

9. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

To be honest the backgrounds don't bother me none.

Sure they may become obvious when I stare at them, but I don't really plan on getting hung up with that

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

I think they should be higher res, as the Starbound universe is literally made of pixels/blocks (At least that's what I think) and naturally, the farther away you are from pixels, the smoother they look together.

WoxandWarf likes this.