The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I have pondered this. It seems logical that they have evolved countermeasures to the problem - afterall, group think can prove fatal in dangerous situations, and the protot-avali were frequently exposed to very dangerous hunting situations, poor decision processing would result in darwinian selection pressure, so that groups less susceptible to poor groupthink behaviour would be selected for.

EDIT: and as Mourne points out, all pack members are instinctively vocal and less likely to be cowed into going along with a bad idea

2. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

The thing about that is that humans are also social creatures, and presumably also had their fair share of danger on their hunts.

The argument there doesn't seem like it stands up particularly well. *shrug* I mean, I COULD see it, but I could also definitely not see it.... so [pondering intensifies]

3. Valiance30156

Valiance30156 Big Damn Hero

Well, then I made a bad call there. I suggested it because it merely seemed easy, but something being easy in theory doesn't always mean it will be in fact. Forgive me if that comes across as offensive to anyone.

4. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Yeah its not easy as it looks, therefore I can tell @RyuujinZERO put a massive amount of work into adding subtle changes to the Avali figure to make it express so much complexity with that few of pixels. I may be one of the few that noticed ,but his work on the Avali body sprites for Starbound is absolutely masterful in it's execution, he took an originally extremely complex shape and brought it down to such an incredibly low resolution, yet still managed to keep the look and feel of them perfectly.

Bravo Ryuujin, bravo.

Edit: got my other profile pic back, but I plan to refine the process of converting it from a raw pixel image to a smoothed version, probably going to eventually get to the point where I can draw their figure from scratch.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  5. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

I can't claim to know shit about pixel art, but I do agree that the avali mod has always seemed to be a step above even the vanilla game in regards to pixel art assets

Valiance30156 likes this.
  6. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

I'M WATCHING YOU

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE

...ahem.

7. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

meh, I took the weekend off, sue me, I'll come up with some new content tomorrow

8. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

Reaper: Reaper knows you are watching. Reaper just doesn't know why yet. Perhaps because Reaper is that good looking?

Arcaline likes this.
  9. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

Back after church and a 3 hour long nap. Talked to friends again after my little outburst on the forum.
    Still a christian but just not a fan of christians who act how I stated. Guess in the end I myself acted like a hypocrite...

Marxon likes this.
  10. Deathedge736

Deathedge736 Giant Laser Beams

Everyone makes mistakes. Just remember your own and try to avoid repeating it. Its really all any of us can do.

J_Mourne likes this.
  11. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Woo, depression~

You just won't leave me alone, will you?

Marxon likes this.
  12. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

Saw a little ways back a post which indicated religion as a frequent cause of violence and war. I would submit to you human nature is the cause, and religion is a very frequent and easy to use excuse...

The point, however, remains. There is much done in the name of religion which is decidedly 'not-good'. Same goes for the 'better good'.

J_Mourne likes this.
  13. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The idea of the better good is you do something evil for a good cause. The ends justify the means. People like me believe that you can't reach a better future without sacrifices. Comparing religion to "greater good" is a bad idea, because they seem similar but aren't.

14. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Tremendo Dude and J_Mourne like this.
  15. Icebelly

Icebelly Weight of the Sky

Ah I saw that!
    Loved it!

16. Deathedge736

I cannot art this well. This is amazing.

17. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

Ah, philosophy! The idea of the greater good is a fascinating one from the standpoint of ethics. Is present suffering justified through future happiness?

I'm of the opinion that such viewpoints nearly always lead to tragedy when actively applied. Humans lack the wisdom and foresight to predict whether or not their actions truly will be in the "greater good". Too often, well-meaning individuals have inadvertently sparked actions with horrible consequences (excellent example being Marx). He certainly didn't mean to cause the horrible suffering endured under the USSR, but it was a consequence of his theories nonetheless.

Of course, applying this philosophy to one's own life alone makes a hero. Applying it when there's no other choice makes one a strategist. But applying it for no reason other than that "things could be better" makes one, I'm afraid, a well-intentioned extremist.

That's extremely good work! No offense to anyone else, everyone's work has been good, but I think this one's my favorite so far.

...does he take requests?

Edit: Missed some details. My bad.

18. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Well, my experiment was somewhat a success, I suppose.

Make a comment about being depressed, and if it sounds like the same tune you've sung before, nobody gives a pardon my language fuck.

Show a picture, even if it's good and deserves the praise, and people seem to respond immediately.

I think something's a little wrong with the context here. Well, I'll just take my depression somewhere else before I
    poison anyone else's day.

One last thing, though. When I'd done those 170+ ABCs, most of them were parts of another song. So all in all, that's about 10-20 songs, with some that were made for solo play. Just clarifying that it was NOT 170+ different songs.

19. Deathedge736

I'm sorry that I wasn't reading the thread when that was posted.

To be honest depression isnt easy to deal with. I have had it myself and I never wanted help. if you want to talk about it pm me or something I can at least give you a second point of view on your problem.

20. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

No doubt that sometimes sacrifices have to be made in order to move forward and accomplish great tasks. That I have no qualm with. This most certainly can apply to someone managing resources of a number of people, such as a government official.

But sometimes people invoke the 'greater good' as rationale for their actions when their actions are not justified, or are outside the bounds of their authority. Heck, they might not even be concerned with others, just using it to justify their actions before others, when the truth is their motivations are much more self-serving. The tricky aspect of this argument, however, lies in defining what is the greater good, as each individual has his own opinion on the matter, and on certain matters, these opinions can be contrary to each other. Being an idealist doesn't make you right.

And I don't think religion is inherently bad. It is a source of inspiration which can bring about good or evil. I do distinguish between the spiritual and the merely religious though, as alike and related as they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.