The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

I've practiced plenty, I feel like I'm going backwards most days though, so it takes a lot of boredom and both self and external motivation to get at it

2. Valiance30156

Valiance30156 Big Damn Hero

Quite good, if I do say so myself. Keep it up.

3. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Just FYI I havn't been very active today as I managed to get a key for the Wildstar beta weekend, and having a peek at that. Back to business as usual.

Final verdict: Wildstar's combat system feels a LOT like Guild Wars 2, with it's AoE danger zones, dodge rolls, twitchy movement, skill traitting, limited skill bar selection and casting-while-moving. The path system is a nice touch and crafting system is more robust than GW2's, but world events and quest system felt like a step backwards, having more in common with WoW. Dungeons use a trinity system, the art style and humour is great, but the factions and races are about as deep as a spoon.

However, at the end of the day if GW2 and Wildstar are so alike, it coems down to the fact GW2 is buy to play, while Wildstar is a subscription based MMO; why pay the premium for a game that offers nothing over the competition?

4. Marcorri

Marcorri Void-Bound Voyager

however beta is beta so remember that things might change

5. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Nah this is very very core stuff, things like this don't change this late in development. I'll be interested to see what they add; if they add meaningful features to differentiate it from the crowd and/or make it buy to play, or free to play I'd be interested.

Marxon likes this.
  6. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Well, it's been fun, that time is coming up fast now...

7. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

money don't grow on treeeeeees
    we got bills to pay
    we got mouths to fee-
    *shot*
    anyways I'm back and I saw good art and it was good.
    Yes. Art. I like art. I feel like I said this before...but it's true. Wish I could draw. But, alas, I can't even draw a straight line with a goddamn ruler in my hand.

8. Valiance30156

Valiance30156 Big Damn Hero

Have you tried Pixel Art? It's easy to learn and fun to create.

9. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Obviously you didn't see my previous avatar. Which was pixel art.
    Terrible pixel art, but pixel art.

10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Pixel art is actually harder because you can't convey fine details as easily, a single pixel with a properly set color can make the difference from being part of an eye or being the nose. Ryuujin could probably better explain this.

11. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

RANDOM OFF TOPIC QUESTION GO!

As most/all Avali act as packs, are Avali packs particularly susceptible to groupthink? On the whole, i mean. obviously they have their ups and downs just as humans do.

...wait, what does that question even mean?

12. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

The hell is that?

13. Intrebute

Intrebute Pangalactic Porcupine

14. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

15. Intrebute

16. Ruti

Ruti Big Damn Hero

Groupthink is where everyone follows a course of action or accepts a thing as fact simply because everyone else does, a sort of the societal 'blind guiding themselves' situation.

I did do some thinking on some distinctly Avali grammatical things, more specifically differences in pronouns based on the Avali pattern of pack-centered society. I'll ask about it in the other thread.

17. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

yay
    i get SCIENCE'D, BITCH! a lot.
    I need to learn some shit now, excuse me while I stop being a moron...

18. Intrebute

19. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

The irony is that this is off-topic because it's on-topic in the off-topic thread. Why would you do this?

As I understand from my communication classes, groupthink comes about quite a bit because the members of a group are scared to voice their own opinions and ask questions about the prevailing line of reasoning. While on one hand the Avali seem more susceptible to group-related pressures than humans, they also strike me as better communicators than humans. So I don't see any reason that they'd be more susceptible.

One one hand they're in group situations where groupthink could arise more often, but on the other, better communication makes them resistant.

20. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.