The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProkhorVLG

ProkhorVLG Existential Complex

[​IMG]

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  2. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Man I hate causing drama...

3. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

Hey, guess what? You can be quoted and not respond to it. That is totally a thing you can do. It's a miracle, the world is saved!

ProkhorVLG likes this.
  4. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm gonna talk about your story with a completely on-topic critique. Pay attention or don't, this is just what I thought when I read it.

When it comes to disturbing stories, I've always been a big fan of psychological horror, subscribing to the "nothingness is scarier" line of thought. It's too easy to turn gore into narm, which seems to be the problem a lot of your audience had. Rather than be disgusted or horrified by this poor Avali's superhuman devotion, a lot of us seemed to just go, "Ew... Heh, yeah right, like that's actually possible." I don't really care about how bloody a headshot was, nor does it really make sense to me (or do I care) that an Avali could run a couple hundred meters before jumping two stories with half of his brain missing.

So what if instead of giving us the descriptions of the gore and injury from an external perspective, you presented the internal viewpoint of your dying character? Show us his anguish! What is he feeling as his friend dies before him? What if that friend was the last pack member he had left? Don't make him just effortlessly run all that way, make it be a long, hard slog as he keeps getting shot and simply refusing to die. Just having him keep running with half his guts outside his body makes it sound too simple; it's be really hard to actually stay conscious through that, what with the pain and the blood-loss and the weight of the impact. Have there be other characters that try to stop him from committing suicidal revenge. You're trying to describe a character who has hit the despair event horizon, and the gore actually distracts from this character's fascinating emotional state.

Don't try to disgust, just try to get the readers to root for him to reach the snipers nest. If you do so well, you'll horrify us along the way simply as a side effect.

Just my two cents.

Insectoid, Battle Bee and Marxon like this.
  5. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Did I mention that you really should adjust that sarcastic attitude? I wasn't joking, we don't need that here.

6. ProkhorVLG

Man, you're a prick. Just stop replying...

7. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

*Comes back in thread to see what's going on*
    Drama. Nope.
    *Walks out and resumes reading Homestuck*

RyuujinZERO likes this.
  8. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

I almost wanna take a crack at it with some of my characters and races

9. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

/ban Shadowhunter12 is that a thing?

10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Had I not have written it on the spot it would have been more refined. Thank you very much for your constructive criticism.

11. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe you should adjust the melodramatic "woe is me" attitude while we're at it.

In other news, wrestled about 450 words of this backstory-thing together thus far, so that's going well! Still need ideas for Avalon delicacies, though... Hmmm. The mention of piru noodles being the favoured food of avali students makes me think they aren't really considered high-class, but then again....

Oh well. Once I get over this speedbump, maybe I can kick this part out onto the thread and get to work on the actual first conflict, instead of the stage-setting.

12. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

I am just going to...
    *gets a pair of binoculars*
    ...watch from a flying blimp.

13. 0deneb0

and while you can't say no, I'm going to assume your silence means I have permission to destroy every hive in the known galaxy X3

14. Myifee

Myifee Guest

Reply to him, and he feels compelled to reply back. So for his sake, and to keep things from getting out of hand

Just drop it.

BountyXSnipe and J_Mourne like this.
  15. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

This satisfies condition B for me. A was slowly working my way loose from being a pillar of the community, but screwing stuff up and failing at my attempts to be social and normal to the point that I get chased out works.

I guess I need to further develop my social skills for next time.
    (Don't you dare make a fiasco about this, you people are too good at baiting me back here and I just want out)

Edit: and on this note, cancelling backstory among many other things.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  16. ProkhorVLG

That's why it's funny.

17. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

*muffled talking*

18. BountyXSnipe

BountyXSnipe Void-Bound Voyager

I'm speechless right now.

19. 0deneb0