1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Wintermaulz

Wintermaulz Pangalactic Porcupine

I didnt take a picture, but i found these guys huddled around a huge pot in the ground made of plant matter, that was full of lava. Was quite interesting too see.

2. Bloolink

Bloolink Industrial Terraformer

Unless Florans were there originally and the Agarans killed them off! :eek:

MilkCalf, LastDay, SirKaldar and 2 others like this.
  3. NomekSan

NomekSan Void-Bound Voyager

I managed to get a proper camouflage. I am now prepared to live beside the Agarans and begin my research.
    I will puplish my findings in about a year.
    [​IMG]

Durabys, MilkCalf, LastDay and 5 others like this.
  4. Wintermaulz

but that only disguises your appearance, what if they track prey by scent?

5. NomekSan

Way ahead of you.
    I stuffed my blanket and pillow with the mushrooms I gathered. I will sleep in it for a week until I smell like them. In addition I kept a few of the mushrooms to fill all my pockets with them.

MilkCalf, SirKaldar and WoxandWarf like this.
  6. Wintermaulz

what happens if they try to communicate?

MilkCalf, SirKaldar and Dante12129 like this.
  7. Asatrix

Asatrix Guest

I have found an agaran site that was not hostile but there is clear evidence here that they dislike florans and trap and cage them. This cage seemed particularly meaningful. They kept acting like they were tring to get at the trapped floran. Word of advice. Florans beware.

found the exact screen of the other dungeon and they freed the floran. The Agaran didn't do anything.

Attached Files:

8. NomekSan

Actually, living among them is step 2 of my research. The first step will be observation of communication, behavior and social interaction.
    This step is currently in progress. I have begun to write an Agaran dictionary (pre-order on amazon.uni now!).

One problem I couldn't figure out by now is how they are supplying themselfes with energy. I haven't seen one eating so far and if they get their nutirents in any other way this could be a problem.
    I have still some work to do before making actual contact.

... maybe I have to sleep for a little longer in mushrooms :wut:

MilkCalf, LastDay, SirKaldar and 2 others like this.
  9. HelixAbyss

HelixAbyss Astral Cartographer

Yesterday when I was playing I found the cauldron of lava, but there was no cage or anything inside... I did try to pour the lava on the Agaran guy by removing some of the cauldron, but the lava kind of got absorbed into the ground before it reached him... (I'm still getting used to how this game works :rofl: ) a couple of creatures then proceeded to murder the Agaran while I watched. I didn't get any screenshots, but I did get a video

10. Incendiary

Incendiary Ketchup Robot

Liquids will flow into the background if you're above a certain depth level and there are no background blocks placed.

11. HelixAbyss

HelixAbyss Astral Cartographer

huh... ok, thank you for informing me! This was the second time I had liquids seemingly disappear, and it really confused me :rofl:

12. Asatrix

Asatrix Guest

More interesting evidence of the Agarans and their Floran pets: As you can see I freed one of their Floran pets and the Agaran Gaurd stood idly by. They also appear to collect Floran objects and make dirt hills over small rooms.

With each Floran captive I have found they have encased them in a room with lava, like the first cauldron I found and displayed here.

Attached Files:

13. Brownfinger

Brownfinger Aquatic Astronaut

They look like walking penii.

14. Dr Fushba

Dr Fushba Cosmic Narwhal

Did someone say mushroom? :badger:

We need to stop their spread before there isn't mush room left in the galaxy.

15. Lexen

Lexen Subatomic Cosmonaut

They look to hate florans indeed...
    Oh, look, a reason to exterminate them !

16. Asatrix

Asatrix Guest

Wait you just said to exterminate a race that might be the only thing hedging in another race that will randomly decide to eat someone else? And their behavior towards Florans is more as odd pets. I discovered that the Agarans with the cauldron looking cage were more disturbed by aggressive species of animal on the planet.

17. Lexen

Lexen Subatomic Cosmonaut

One does not simply f*ck with the florans.

The Furreonist likes this.
  18. Hazmat

Hazmat Weight of the Sky

Maybe we should introduce the agarans to the po. I think they'd get along fine.

19. Elrond Hubbard

Elrond Hubbard Lucky Number 13

I take back everything I said. these "things" are not misunderstood.

They're monsters.

Attached Files:

20. EldritchSandwich

EldritchSandwich Void-Bound Voyager

For your consideration, the moon Alpha Anser 93 VI a (coordinates x: -4127641 y: -21313648). The moon is dominated by Agaran villages and contains only two other environments: small stretches of flowering forest, and inexplicable areas of nothing more than bare rock.

This suggests a troubling possibility: that the Agarans are not only spreading, but like the lichen of Earth their presence in a lifeless environment serves to break up bare rock and pave the way for new life, turning a once barren moon into a forest meter by meter.

Put simply, their presence is a primitive type of terraforming, either to alter their environment for their own needs or, more troubling, for the needs of some unknown patron species...

Attached Files: