Modding Help Testing mods - Alternating mod sets

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by cpeosphoros, Jul 11, 2017.

1. cpeosphoros

cpeosphoros Orbital Explorer

I'm playing on linux+steam.

Is there an easy way to make a clean sandbox, with no mods, besides going to the workshop and unsubscribing to all of them?

Also, is it possible to easily choose "sets" of mods and alternate between them?

I need those to test a mod by itself, and how it behaves with some other, without some others, etc.

2. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My system is far from efficient but i use the steam "collections" feature to quickly subscribe and unsubscribe from groups of mods. In my local environment i just block mod folders by marking them hidden. I'm very eager to see what other kind of solutions people use for this, i could definitely stand to up my game.

3. Qbi Wan

Qbi Wan Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm afraid not, buy that'd be great

4. cpeosphoros

Very nice idea, gonna do that, though, well, I have a couple hundred mods installed. That will take some time, but I think it's worth the effort.

Thanks for the idea.

IHart likes this.
  5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Steam in offline mode is sufficient to skip loading all workshop mods. Mods in \starbound\mods\ would still load, and those could be your mods.

You could also build some scripts that move certain sets to and from external storage directories. Probably not necessary though, but it could be done. Or the collections as mentioned

6. IHart

With steam in offline mode my machine still runs workshop mods.

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

More than setting your status to offline. When Steam cannot contact the server during startup, it can start instead in offline mode.

8. cpeosphoros

Unless you delete then...

9. IHart

Yes, that's how I understood it initially. That is definitely the way it's handled on every one of my machines and I really don't remember changing any settings. Odd.

10. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

There is a config file you might have added the workshop path to. Besides that, symbolic linking?

I'm in offline a lot, because my internet is cellular tethering lol.