1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Terraria Vs Starbound: Udpate race.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SugarShow, Oct 26, 2014.

?

Which will arrive first?

1. Terraria

90 vote(s)
    24.9%
  2. Starbound

20 vote(s)
    5.5%
  3. Both

14 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. potato.

236 vote(s)
    65.2%
  5. Goku

2 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

i kinda want to read that book now...

2. Intrebute

Intrebute Pangalactic Porcupine

Only nubs use the game guides!

The Squid and rhomboid like this.
  3. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

4. Astro Chimp

Astro Chimp Tentacle Wrangler

Well I have to say it a close race between Starbound and Potatoe I have to go with Potatoe, the ending brought a tear to my eye. Also in related news 'Potatoe 2: The French Army' is coming out soon.

5. AkuTenshiiZero

AkuTenshiiZero Subatomic Cosmonaut

The fact that I can vividly remember those "mario beep-boops" and can't recall a single piece of background music from SB is a testament to how much better Terraria's music is. Starbound's music is a polished turd, shiny but still bad.

As far as the lighting, let's put it this way: I can't see s**t in SB. I can place a torch ever 10 blocks and still not see clearly. The lighting is TERRIBLE.

6. Gav Featherbeak

Gav Featherbeak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love Starbound's music so much. It's just so peaceful (except for the battle music I hate that but just because it happens whenever I one hit a mob).

7. Albussystems

Albussystems Pangalactic Porcupine

hmmm.... i wonder..... hmmm..... have you even placed any other lightsources, other that torches? I don't care about the discussion whats better or worse, that has been rampaged over in this thread by enough so there is nothing new to add there other that "YOUR TASTE"

So back to the lights.... There are over 65 Lamps (Lightsources like ovens and such not counted) in the game (in the current stable), they vary in colour, flicker and intensity.

From the very start there is a light back item which makes a permanent radius of light around you after you craft it once...

If you don't like the music, thats "completely" your prerogative, but don't post unfounded informations.

Here is my opinion btw:...... The lighting in Starbound is not "TERRIBLE"^^

Darklight likes this.
  8. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Well, first off, the reason you remember the basic chirps from Terraria more fondly is because you have had a longer exposure to it. Given that it was in a fully finished game with hundreds of hours of playtime (possibly!) it has created a connection between your hippocampus and amygdala.

When you recall those tunes, it triggers pleasant memories of having fun with that sandbox game.

Structurally, the pieces of music in Starbound are more impressive and professionally / thematically designed. Not just clones / homage to Mario bee-bops.

When / if Starbound is a fully fleshed out and completed games, you will play the game and - hopefully - enjoy it, and the musical score will creep into your subconscious.

What I am saying is that selective autobiographical memories are creating a positive impression of Terraria music, given the time you probably invested in Terraria. As you haven't had that time or enjoyment out of Starbound that is why you haven't made an emotional memory connection to the Starbound music.

As for the lighting, it's not a huge leap to accept that a game X years old has less advanced lighting technology than a game designed in the last 12 months.

Oh, and the music is better. And Starbound has flashlights.

On the other hand, Terraria has an option in-game to change keybinds. So, for me, it wins the battle. Terraria wins.

Beatrice and Colaymorak like this.
  9. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Potato should totally be a race in starbound. Its starting weapon would be the 'French Fryer' and its starting crop would be a potato tree.

Gav Featherbeak and rhomboid like this.
  10. Gav Featherbeak

The potato tree has such a beautiful simplicity. It's as if it isn't even a real plant. But it obviously is, guys.

11. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

It's not a plant because it's a tree. DUH
    Plants and trees are completely different things, because only one of them has an "N" in the name.

Also, I think the final ship upgrade for the protato race would be codenamed Spudnik.

12. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Potatoes are in the nightshade family, but I don't see any love in this thread for the potatoes sweeter brother, the tomato, or you might say tomatoe

13. Gav Featherbeak

Tomatoes are the literal incarnation of death. They are the con to the potato's pro. They are the Fahrenheit in a world of Celsius. They need to be destroyed.

The Squid likes this.
  14. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Send them to me. I'll destroy them with my gut bacteria. It's the only way to dispose of those juicy potato brethren.

The Squid, rhomboid and Akado like this.
  15. Gav Featherbeak

No I changed my mind. They deserve a fate worse than death. Suggestions?

16. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Make them read every single post in every single thread in the General Discussion forum.

17. Starbug

Starbug Guest

No, make every poster apart from @Darklight invisible to them.

Pingeh and rhomboid like this.
  18. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Eh, no calling people out. There are some posters that use very strong words and come across as being short with others, no need to single out any one of them in particular.

19. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Pingeh likes this.
  20. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

There's a saying about bears, and sticks, and you doing some poking. I can't remember what it is right now, but you shouldn't do that.
    It really doesn't lead anywhere good, and only ends in red raccoons.