Chat Tell Us Your Troubles Thread - advice & friendly chats

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BloodyFingers, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Necrocancer

Necrocancer Aquatic Astronaut

If there is anything im lacking, it is motivation. I lack having "true dreams" as i cant find motivation to try to reach them. My lack of motivation is not from lack of understanding the value of things, in fact its quite the opposite. I understand the value of things like work and education but have no real will to advance on this on my own.
    So far, i act on hunches if something relatively interests me(and strangely i end up manipulating some people into helping me reach my hunch-goals quite often) and my "dreams" are those which may seem interesting or take up some time but rarely do i actively advance on the paths there.

Ἄνουβις likes this.
  2. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

What would be an example of a hunch-goal? I am trying to comprehend what you are talking about.

3. Necrocancer

On the second goal, pop up goal
    basically any goal that pops into my head that i believe to be suitable or good for me.

4. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

It sounds like a short-term/minor goal. Like getting up at 7:00Am is a minor goal. Getting good grades is a minor goal. These are normal and good for people if that's what they are.
    It sounds like you are having trouble setting long term goals. Graduating college, having a family, going into the military, anything that is a big step in your life.
    Before I go on am I correct?

5. Necrocancer

Kinda like that. Also i have no problem setting long term goals, its just nothing sparks with motivation and therefor issue with commencing or working on said long term goal

6. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

Oh so it's not setting it's progressing them. That makes more sense. I have troubles with long term goal progression also. It seems too far to worry about at the moment.
    I learned that if you make notes on what to do to accomplish your goal, also if needed set certain dates for an hour+ that you will put time into your goal.

For example I have always aspired to being in the zoology field since I was a kid. After my mother convinced me to take some personality tests and do research on colleges and see what they make and what it entails. After doing all that I realized for as much I loved the field I couldn't live off the amount of money they make maximum.

I finally did more tests, I found that software developing will fit me like a glove.
    That's just one example of a long term goal.
    You have to have something that will get your brain sorted out before you will feel like doing it again. Just like how you write down equations in Algebra.

Necrocancer likes this.
  7. Necrocancer

I was pondering my lack of interest while rereading my trouble and some of your posts and have come up with a idea that interests me a bit- The further on either side of knowledge and stupidity, the more questions and amazement seem to come into perspective- So i believe i might read some science books and finally get into java(the programming language). Hopefully this might spark more questions which will interest me. Thanks for the help ^_^

Farathil likes this.
  8. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I'm pretty fact oriented myself. One thing that I do is watch Vsauce. It's a really good Youtube channel that goes over really interesting concepts. I think it might spark some interest too.
    Also no problem I am happy to help. ^u^

DrChemistry and Necrocancer like this.
  9. DrChemistry

DrChemistry Subatomic Cosmonaut

I've been feeling really shitty lately. Like there's no reason to do anything. The weather has been getting to me, I've got finals that i know i should be caring about but i have a difficult time even caring.
    There doesn't seem to be a single thing in my life that's going good.

10. HAL9000unit

HAL9000unit Astral Cartographer

Hey there DrChem
    I feel apathetic about things a lot too. I feel like I want to do something but I never do it. I find that whenever I feel like there is no reason to do anything that is the perfect opportunity to try something new. For example, if you have never learned how to draw or animate, just start watching how to videos and just try it. Just trying something new or gaining a 'skill' helps fill up that feeling of apathy.

If you have a specific general goal I suggest learning a small skill related to it.

11. DrChemistry

I get that, and believe me i do that too but some days the depression is just too much and i can't find the motivation.

12. CondrioidViking

CondrioidViking Big Damn Hero

I don't want to do anything myself. "Failed" school (never cared about the subject, I was just forced to it by everyone I knew, lol), so I had to do another exam so I didn't waste 3 years on High School, which I did whether I get back the notorious exam (and managed to do it) that many of my teachers didn't understand or not. Hopefully I didn't fail, and that the one time I was positive to something actually got me somewhere.

Now while waiting, I'm being told by everyone to find a job, be social, go to school, do this and that, don't spend a penny, don't do anything but what we tell you. It's just throwing me straight into depression and I lose all will to do anything. Much less get a job, or go to a job interview, either because I don't care about it or because job interviews are so incredibly... terrible. Probably both.

I want to move out too, and go to another school, but I don't care about doing that either. You're not alone, I can't see myself doing anything now, other than being at home, being complained at and just waiting for my bro and his dog to come home. The dog, the only thing that doesn't complain 24/7 now.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  13. DrChemistry

You should stick up for yourself man, don't let other people push you around and tell you how to live your life.

CondrioidViking likes this.
  14. CondrioidViking

I try, but if I do, I can be sure to be in the middle of the biggest shit-storm you'll ever see. I just hope they'll stop. But as soon as I feel like I can move out, I'll be doing that, hopefully.

15. DrChemistry

They won't stop until you stand up for yourself. Eventually you'll be 35 and still living with them because they didn't want you to move out.

16. CondrioidViking

Oh no, I need to re-evaluate my life. I can't live with them till I'm 35. Well, there is something to care about at least. Stand up for myself. Let the long process begin.

17. DrChemistry

Yeah! That's the spirit. Of course there will be times when they're genuinely caring about you so it's not like everything they ask you to do is for their own selfish reasons. There's always a middle ground.

18. Necrocancer

If there is anything i hate the most, its dogma. Live your life how you see fit, even if its to follow another. the only difference is choosing how you live of your own will and not having it chosen for you

19. DrChemistry

I've been having small panic attacks lately. I ruined a friendship with someone i care about and there's no repairing the damage. I don't have anything to do today and it's slowly killing me.
    I'm trying to pre-occupy myself with something but it's hard.
    I'm all alone today and the worst part of it all is that i'm incapable of crying. I've tried and tried for 3 days to let my emotions and grief out but I can't shed a single tear. If I died right now, it wouldn't be so bad.

20. beebot83

beebot83 Big Damn Hero

Well I just feel pissed today. I think the frustrations about my art are getting to me. I'm always seeing other people do great art on the forums, not only that, but they congratulate the newbies. The problem for me lies in the fact that NO ONE ON THESE FREAKING FORUMS has ever congratulated me for my art! I've worked SO FRIGGIN HARD to get my art to look as good as it does (which means barely plausible), and does anyone ever say "good job Beebot!", or offer me words of encouraging advice? NO! Among that, my mother's condition is worsening, they aren't assuming she will make it.